One brake axle OK??

/ One brake axle OK?? #1  

HRS

Gold Member
While looking for a trailer, I was offered one with brakes on one axle, 18 ft long, 3500 lb axles. Initially, I was thinking of having brakes on both axles, but this dealer seems to think that one is just fine for around a 5000 lb package. If you have only one axle brake, could you tell me if you are pleased with the resistance you experience when brakes are applied.

Thanks.

/ One brake axle OK?? #2  
I had a similar set-up on a 5K trailer and I did nor have any problems with it in regards to braking.

/ One brake axle OK?? #3  
I have a 14' tandem HD utility trailer, rated for 7,000 lbs, with brakes on only one axle. I've hauled well over 5,000 lbs gross (including trailer) with it, for about 1000 miles, and been quite satisfied.

My typical load is a bit less, but I typically haul long distances -- 900 to 1500 miles isn't unusual. I adjust the brakes carefully based on the load and the road conditions, and have been quite pleased with the results.

If I were regularly hauling over 5,000 lbs I think brakes on both axles would be better, but that's not my application.

/ One brake axle OK?? #4  
One axle is better than nothing, for sure.

Keep in mind that trailer brakes are not as efficient at shedding heat as a car or truck, so they are much more prone to 'fading' if used heavily. This is why I went with brakes on all 4 wheels of my trailer. I have used trailers with brakes on only one axle and they work fine. You would just need to remember their limitations and be careful (as always).

/ One brake axle OK?? #5  
While the response here is that they work OK on just one axle, what was not stated was that stopping distances will increase substantially with brakes on only one axle. Increased brake fade was also mentioned. For well under $400.00 (parts around $220.00) you should be able to have brakes installed on the second axle.

I have also towed a trailer (1963 22 1/2' Silver Streak travel trailer weighing close to 5,000 lbs) with brakes on only one axle. It worked, but I recall that the brakes wore out quite rapidly and it did not stop as quickly as it would have with dual axle brakes. Imagine what stopping your car or truck would be like with brakes on only one axle.

You can get by with single axle brakes, but in an emergency the second set of brakes could mean the difference between stopping or hitting someone or something.

Ask the dealer what the GVWR on the trailer is with one axle brakes and with two axle brakes. I'd be surprised if it's the same.

Your 5,000 lb package. Was that the load on the trailer or the trailer and the load combined?

If it's heavy enough to need four wheels, it's heavy enough to need four brakes.

/ One brake axle OK?? #6  
Brakes on one axle would probably be OK, but remember that you have no options in a panic stop but to get stopped, and you have no control over idiots that share our roadways. That said, if you budget will allow, get brakes on both axles and get a decent brake controller.

/ One brake axle OK?? #7  
I have a 20' 10K pound trailer with brakes on one axle. I bought it conifigured this way for precisely the reason you mention. The dealer said that one axle would be enough. This is first trailer I have ever had that has brakes. With the Tekonsha Prodigy controller, braking has impressed me. However, I haven't used it for anything more than short trips. While I am not unhappy with the present setup, I am considering adding the brakes to the second axle as it can do nothing but improve the performance of the system.

/ One brake axle OK?? #8  
A few years back when I went to have my cargo trailer inspected in conjunction with registration and licensing in Washington I was informed that Washington law required two axle brakes for the weight of my trailer. I had to have a new axle installed in order to have brakes on the second axle. When I finally got to licensing the trailer ( I had used it for storage for some years) inspection was no longer required.

Point being what do the state laws require for highway use of the trailer?

/ One brake axle OK?? #9  
Good point, JD. Also remember, just because they sell it there doesn't mean it's legal. Check your local regs.

/ One brake axle OK?? #10  
My previous trailer I built. It had 2 axles but only brakes on one. Trailer weighed 2000# empty and I hauled my tractor, cars, trucks, etc. on it. I got 8 years on those brakes. In my state any trailer registered over 3000# has to have brakes on at least one axle. If you can get brakes on both axles, naturally you'll have better stopping power and less brake wear on the tow vehicle. As long as the brakes are adjusted properly it will be fine. When I'm towing I go slower and leave more space between those I'm following anyway. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to brakes on a trailer, more is better. My new trailer has brakes on both axles and I notice the difference over the old one.
Just my 2 cents.