One Large Scoop, Please...

/ One Large Scoop, Please...
<font color=blue>I think I will spring for a tilt bed trailer</font color=blue>

If you've got the bucks, that's a very good way to go. You wouldn't be limited to the fluffy stuff, either.

One nice feature of my silly scoop was that I could set the bucket and scoop right on the ground and just rake stuff in. At one point, where I couldn't quite get the tractor close enough to the weed piles, I used a wheelbarrow for the short shuttle, and just walked it right into the scoop and dumped. Thought that was kinda nice. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #12  
That looks absolutely splendid Harv! Well done. Nice, cheap, and a great time saver. Good idea!

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #13  
Instead of a bolt and nut, maybe a tractor pin of some kind with clip fastener would work.

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #14  
Harv,
I can't draw like you but maybe my explanation will be enough.
A quick hook up could be achieved with two bottom reinforcing angles.
Place the angles 1/3 the way in from each side and run them from the front of the box to the back of the bucket.
Bolt the angles to the bottom of the box using spacers so the bucket can slide in between the angles and the box.
Retain the existing bolt hole and change the nuts to wing nuts and that should do it. No welding here.
Harv do the picture thing please.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (26 hrs)

<font color=blue>maybe a tractor pin of some kind with clip fastener</font color=blue>

I had similar thoughts, but because it's wood it seems better to have the scoop cinched up tight to the sides of the bucket. More of a feeling than an engineering certainty, I guess, but hunches are all I have to go on sometimes. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #16  
Harv,

Your idea is actually more useful than the trailer when dealing with light and bulky material like branches and mulch. While waiting for my new TC45D to be delivered (hopefully this Friday /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif), I was thinking about this very same problem for my mulch spreading and leave pickup projects. NOW that you have wetted my appetite, I am thinking of making a "three sided" tall box with 20 gage metal. It is probably using a tapered sidewall so they are shaped similarly as the bucket. Optionally, a light duty cutting blade at th front edge). I would also weld two or three "fingers" at the backside of this metal box so it will simply hook (or grab) to the back of bucket. For stability, it is possible bolts may be added to fasten the fingers to the back of bucket (note: you don't need to drill holes to the bucket, just tighten the bolt for compression fit). You can certainly modify the wooden model for this quick attaches idea. With the metal model, you can also use it to scoop up 1 1/2 yard of mulch each time. Finally, THIS is not a proven working prototype. This is just some ideas that you got me thinking while waiting for my TC45D lady friend to show up! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>Harv do the picture thing please.</font color=blue>

Afraid I don't have time to do a drawing right now, Woodstock. I've spent too much time not working today already. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I think I follow your description, though. We would wind up with a pair of angle irons running front to back under the scoop, with enough of a gap to slip the lower bucket surface into.

That certainly would make for a strong scoop. From what I experienced with the prototype, a full 1 inch of plywood with angle iron along the lower seams would be plenty strong enough for the chores I had in mind. I also like being able to set the scoop flat on the ground for ease of loading.

If we're going to retain the bolts, I'm not sure how that is any more of a quick hookup than the original. But then, I don't see a lot of things. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #18  
<font color=blue>I was thinking of fashioning something that would hook over the top lip of the bucket</font color=blue>

Precisely what I was thinking about. Why 1" plywood? That seems awfully heavy unless what you used was really bending (which it didn't look like). My thinking was that if you just clamped it onto the upper lip, then it could rest on the bottom of the bucket (cantelevered). I think that's all that would be needed. Could still make it out of wood, but there is the "storage" issue. I wouldn't want to take up room in my shop/garage, and I wouldn't want a wood contraption sitting outside.

The GlueGuy

Jack -
I am so jealous of you metal-enabled folks. As soon as I rejoin the financially comfortable, I swear I'm gonna get me a welder and start tinkering with the hard stuff.

<font color=blue>just tighten the bolt for compression fit[/b]

Excellent idea! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif If I/we shaped the side panels to match the bucket sides all the way to the back of the bucket so the whole thing fit "snug", I bet the compression bolts would hold it in place jes' fine. Now, could I prevail upon you to come weld up the holes I just punched in my bucket? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

GlueGuy -

<font color=blue>Why 1" plywood?[/b]

It's not so much the weight of the material that concerns me. It's the fact that we're waving this contraption around on the front end of a tractor. Let's face it -- no matter how careful we try to be, it's going to get banged around some. In my brief test run, I had to be very careful to not apply any down-pressure on this thing, which is sticking out over 3 feet in front of the bucket. It's the same reason I am planning on reinforcing the bottom seams with angle iron. Gotta anticipate a few bumps and bruises now and then. Of course, with 1" plywood, I might be tempted to haul slightly heavier material from time to time. Oh, boy! Watch for me in the safety forum! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=blue>there is the "storage" issue</font color=blue>

Don't think that one hasn't crossed my mind. My prototype is still on the tractor (just fits in the shop that way), but this is one bulky doodad once you take it off. Don't tell anybody, but I am considering ways to design the "real" one to fold up flat when not in use. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ One Large Scoop, Please... #20  
Very good idea...it looks like something even I could do.

I have to move large amounts of dirt a long way (about
3 acres); I don't have a trailer or anything else I could
dump it into. The FEL bucket seems so puny when I have
to travel this distance. Even though dirt would be heavier
than the dead leaves, etc., if something like this would let
me even double the FEL capacity, that's half the number
of trips. Don't know how I would get the dirt in other then
manually shoveling it.

Re: folding - couldn't you just put strong hinges on the inside
of the box, then just let them fold down? Would probably
leave some gaps along the hinged edges, but that shouldn't
cause a problem for the material that you're carrying.

Could use some sort of chains or eye bolts to lock the sides
in the upright position.