One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #21  
Everyone's got a bad neighbor (that goes both ways). Its part of living in a neighborhood. You made someone angry over the noise and now every time you start that truck it's going to grate on their nerves, regardless of whether its justified or not and they're going to call the police on you to teach you a lesson (weather you deserve it or not).

In a lot of places the police can't do anything to you unless they witness it or have some sort of video evidence of it, so if you don't do it again, all the police can do is come out and say "Hi there, we've had a complaint." and you can introduce yourself to each new officer, tell them the burnout story, tell them you've learned your neighborly lesson, and tell them you're trying to be as quiet and respectful as possible since then, but someone keeps calling every time you move the truck. Ask them if they can get a noise meter so they can help you test the sound to see if its breaking any noise ordinances (if there are any). Tell them you'd appreciate any help to alleviate the situation. If the police tell you they're watching you and logging the number of times they've come out, ask them to also please make a note of how many times they found no problem, that they've heard the truck run and that you were fully cooperative and that you'd appreciate that.

As for wanting to know who's calling... the police aren't going to tell you that nor should they, exactly for the reason that you said..... you want to confront them.

As someone with a very loud '93 Suburban, 350 with 3" straight pipes for the last 5 years (I recently put a glasspack on it), I'll suggest you have to be extremely careful to never ever disturb the peace, especially in your own neighborhood. No one else wants to hear it but you and me. When I had to work nights and come home at 3 in the morning I felt just sick about disturbing the peace. I'd get a good run down the highway, throw it in neutral and coast the last half mile through the neighborhood into my driveway. I asked several of the neighbors if my truck bothered them. Two are pert near deaf and said they never heard it. One said it woke up his wife. That was at idle! The direct next door neighbor said it wakes him up but that's good because it reminds him to pee. :rolleyes: So, I put the muffler on it. I haven't asked the new folks across the street yet. He's a county cop, so I'd imagine he'd tell me if it was, but I think I'll be proactive and ask him if it sounds too loud before he gets annoyed enough to have to embarrass me in front of the other neighbors.

Best thing to do is be a good neighbor, keep it as quiet as possible, be as open and honest with the cops each time they come out and hopefully either the problem will go away or they'll tell the caller that they are becoming a nuisance to the police.

Nice looking truck, by the way. :thumbsup: I've got an '85 1/2 ton Custom Deluxe 4x4 rotting in the back yard.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #22  
I know how you feel. I had a '98 Harley with turn out straight pipes. ONE TIME thru our town - second gear - pushing the rpm - breaking the sound barrier. The local LEO were waiting for me at the edge of town. Then it became - they would stop me EVERY SINGLE time I rode thru town. I'd go so quiet you could hear the tires kissing the asphalt. Finally - I would go the other way when I got to the end of the driveway and completely avoid going thru town. In my case there was one local LEO that told me she had a great dislike for Harley and was going to be stopping me - in town - every time she saw me. I got that corrected by talking to the sergeant but what a PITA for a while.

BTW - I gave the Harley to my son and now I ride a BMW. I got tired myself of listening to the exhaust for hours on end. Ha,ha - my son has put the original pipes back on the Harley.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #23  
Get a recording of a very loud car at a drag strip, or take truck to deserted gravel road. Rev'er up and start tape recording. Record about five-ten minutes worth. Push your truck out of the garage, do not start. Get group of guys together on a week night. Get some beer and burgers, cook out and eat in garage. Play the tape a little loud. Cops show up, say truck was never started. Feel the motor! stone ***** cold. Some body has it in for me. Call you anytime my truck is out of garage! Want this **** stopped or it's harassment.
T. J.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #24  
Did I miss something --- is the truck noticeably louder than it was before? That might be all it takes to set someone off and justify a complaint. But if you can prove it's legally quiet, no problem.

We had a guy in my old neighborhood that used to like to run his boat on the trailer once and a while, and rev the heck out of it. That violated so many ordinances, he was fined and they told him next time it would be worse. Boats out of water with no suppression/muffler was spelled out as a big no-no in the county code. Ever since then, I am real careful if I need to fire up my boat out of the water, even though we're in the country now and all my neighbors have boats. It is just a bit too loud to do for more than 10-20 seconds. I can idle it to flush out, but give it any throttle and everyone better be wearing ear protection.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #25  
Sounds like a new daily driver. Or at least start it and let it run in the driveway a few minutes a night. If you have a smart phone it might not hurt to put it in video mode and set it on a ledge showing that your truck was never revved. When the cop show up they get to see your video and then they tell the person complaining to quit calling.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #26  
One persons pleasure is anothers pain. People can become obsesive about things like noise. I have been on both sides of this one.

I'm surprised the cops are that interested. Here, they are annoyed when you complain about stuff like noise. Or it seems anything that makes them work or heaven forbid get out of their cars.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #27  
I am not arguing they were wrong the first time, we did the burn out. The cops came, we complied and shut it right down, what I am pissed about is now every time i leave my house with it. Or go to do anything with it, I am called on. The truck is street legal, registered, up to date on inspection and insured.

It is a 1986 Chevy k20. 350 with a 4 speed. I will upload pics later on

There are Rules, then there is Reality.

Stroudsburg looks to be a small town, from what I see on google maps. If you are behaving yourself, and still getting many visits from local LEOs, keep in mind that the person doing the complaining may be a friend or relative of the cop - this may be your actual problem, not so much anything to do with your truck.

On the Rules side of things.....

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/PUB-45.pdf

By the book, you can't pass inspection and be in violation of noise laws. Don't know if you have annual inspections; consider getting a new one anyway. Might be worth getting one done somewhere outside of Stroudsburg.

Your State has pretty specific test requirements for SPL measurements:

Pennsylvania Code

If you can go to a test center (I'd been inclined to travel elsewhere in your State, to a larger facility, and pay for the test if need be), and get your vehicle documented and tested as compliant, then do that too. Obviously, don't monkey with the exhaust afterwards.

With the vehicle legit, and documented as such, then I'd be politely asking at the local detachment level for an explanation of what the alleged problem is.

What is on the truck for mufflers ? A poplar choice around here are Magnaflows - decent sound, and usually difficult to get into unwanted LEO discussions with, unless you are really trying to cause problems.....

For some local intelligence/feedback, try hanging out on cruise nights, or whatever other local events that gearheads gravitate to, if you haven't already. Casually asking about the local sound violation situation at those types of gatherings may get you some local 411 that will help.

Agreed, I don't get why Harleys seem to get mostly a free pass on straight pipes either......

Rgds, D.

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #28  
Have you thought about moving somewhere a little more private? Somewhere that you can be loud when you want to be? Neighbors can be a real P.I.T.A. They say good fences make good neighbors. I say more acres make less neighbors.

I'd rather live on 10 acres in a tent, than on 1/2 acre in a mansion with neighbors on all sides.

Kevin

/ One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #29  
I live on a hundred acres. I slept with my window open summers for decades. Then a neighbour a quarter mile away got a hound dog! Just about drove me berserk, until another neighbour ran over the dog, as the owner just let it wander around! You really need a LOT of separation to avoid noise. Certain times of day. sound really travels.l

Last edited by a moderator:
   / One night of roudyness leads to cops coming every night #30  
Invite all your neighbors over to an outdoor neighborhood party to patch neighborly relations up.

As well as make note of who does not attend. Especially if they are Ford people. LOL.