One of the worst floor plans ever

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, I was browsing real estate websites, and found a "custom home" and 10 acres, not too far from me. They included the floor plans. At first, it looked odd, and then I zoomed in, and actually looked at it. The master bed room doesn't have a bathroom, but one of the other bed rooms does. The back bedroom can only be accessed by walking thru the middle bed room. The master bed rooms closet has a door in the closet, leading to 2nd bedroom. Just a design to frustate anyone. It also has a basement, which is an unusual feature in FLa; not completely unheard of, but far from the norm.
Screenshot_20221005-181435_Redfin.jpg

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #2  
I can't believe it was actually built that way. One bedroom has no closet. That's against code. Another bedroom has three closets. I've never seen a shared walk in closet. Also I'm guessing this is on stilts since that's the second floor.

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #3  
Looks like something you would find in Utah for polygamous families.

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #4  
Yup, that house really needs a gut and remodel.

And a classic example of why you should abstain from smoking the refer while designing and building a home.

I like that you have to go through one bedroom to access the other bedroom.

No on suite bathroom. Either gotta walk to the other end of the house or go through the walk in closet into the other bedroom to access the bathroom.

Never seen a bedroom share a walk in closet with the master suite before.

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #5  
What's even more bizarre is that the bathroom at the entry has a shower. You would have to walk through the entire house to get to a bedroom

/ One of the worst floor plans ever
I can't believe it was actually built that way. One bedroom has no closet. That's against code. Another bedroom has three closets. I've never seen a shared walk in closet. Also I'm guessing this is on stilts since that's the second floor.
Nope, not on stilts; a true 20x20 underground basement. This is in a wet area of Fla. Contrary to what a lot of people think, some of Fla has topography, but this specific area is near the Oklawahawa River, very flat and swampy.

/ One of the worst floor plans ever
The real estate ad. I did black out the street address, cause after all, this is a real person. selling a real house, with a real real estate agent.
Screenshot_20221005-214848_realtorcom.jpg

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #8  
Floor plan may not be what was built exactly, or it may have changed since that was drawn. There are some very odd details in there otherwise, as you note...

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #9  
Many times, second/vacation homes aren’t planned, they evolve. None of that would bother me.

/ One of the worst floor plans ever #10  
None of that would bother me. Most of it is easily changed by a home owner. In fact, it looks like that is what happened as it "grew" with added changes.
What is not mentioned is the quality of the construction. That is always my first concern. A complete basement like that built properly is a huge asset. Built poorly it might still be a better than average foundation.

Entries and room shapes and interior walls are easy and inexpensive to change. But not much can be done to change the basic quality of construction. I've built and modified several houses now.

rScotty