One Step Closer...

/ One Step Closer... #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
Hey folks, Finaly sold the old home stead...Sign the papers tomorrow afternoon...Now we can start building on are new "pasture"...But more importantly we can realy start shopping for a tractor.../w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif...Man am I glad they built those 2 new schools...!!!Made enough to pay off my new property and still have some left for a down payment on a tractor...Wife says we can start looking next weekend... YIPPY!!!YA!!!HOOOOO!!!/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif.../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif...Needless to say I'm just a little excited... I'll try to keep ya'll posted from work when I finally make a deal on one...(no net connection were I'LL be staying till the new home is built) No phone line either by design.Since it's a lake house no phone means no one can disturb the fishing,cell phone are pretty much useless as well,to bad A' /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif...I have narrowed my chioces most deffenitly to eithier the B2400 or the TC21D(would love either a B2900 or TC25D but can't afford them with the loader /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif )AAAAhhh!!! Well maybe in a few years I can talk the wife into a nother so we can have ,His and Hers,since shes such an out door nut...This is my last evening to post from the ol' home stead. The poor wife is a tear bomb waiting to happen.(She's lived hear since she was7, 23 yrs)(why do they have to do that???cry that is, over such things,talk about making a fella feel helpless /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif ahh well we do what we can ), any way I'll try to keep up...Thanks for all the good advice all....

Lil' Paul

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ One Step Closer... #2  
PBurns.

Well Paul, sounds like you are on your way. Hope the building process goes well. It can be an ordeal and as a contractor, its that way for the home owner and the builder.
We will cut you some slack, for not being around as much, but expect regular progress reports.

Best of luck!!!!

/ One Step Closer... #3  
Paul, Two last thoughts to leave you with.

I built my home on 10 acres and did most of the work myself. Finally figured out that the amount of pay that I was taking home was paying for someone that knew a lot less than I did to screw stuff up so I could fix it. Took off six months and saved a lot of money on the place. Did the rest working from 7pm to 11pm each night then a couple of 16 hour days on the weekends. Hired done what I couldn't do and found that I could get better subs than the builder could (or would) and his fee paid for a lot of my time that I spent on the house.

Also the B2910 with a loader is a wonderful homestead tractor and will pay for itself while you are building your house. The ability to pick up and move materials and so many tasks you get involved in doing, make the cost academic while you are building a house and particulaly for the next year or so when you are trying to get all of the homestead projects done without paying a thousand for this one and for that one. Give it some serious thought as you will then wind up with a reliable tool that you can use for the next 30 years after your house is built and the cost per month is extremely low. Buy cheap implements or used implements to save money, but don't settle for less on the tractor/loader!

Take a cell phone to the site with a hands free kit that uses an external antenna. Buy a 4 or 5 element beam antenna and see if you CAN actually get coverage at your site. Even if you have to accept analog rather than digital coverage, it could sure be a great convenience and an absolute NECESSITY while you are getting ready and building your house. You can even buy cheap off hours minutes to keep up with this board if you work at it.

I really believe in self sufficiency, but have not been willing to give up the telephone yet.

Good luck in your endeavor.

/ One Step Closer... #4  
PBurns,

It's interesting how you equate the 21 hp NH to the 24 hp Kubota and the 25 hp NH with the 30 hp Kubota! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Oh, and to what Wen said...ditto except everywhere he said B2910, replace it with TC25/TC29! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Although, if you buy the TC21D, you definitely won't be settling!

And by the way, congratulations on your sale and immediate endeavor! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ One Step Closer...
Wen, I will be doing some of it myself as it goes up mostly the electrical,phone,cable etc..what I know I can handle and can find the time for...as ya say to save as much as we can...

AS for the tractor I suppose that the tractor I get will be determined by the deal I manage to get...Fortunately I have 2 dealers that sale NH/Kuboto close one 20min away the other 40min and a Kubota dealer 20min away the first to I've heard good things about from other customers that were there while I was looking around and they were both good about taking there time to answer questions....Haven't heard any bad things about the bota dealer....either... Ahhh well cross that one here shortly I hope...

Couldn't agree more about the capabilities of these machines and there uses....

I work for the cell company and I know the system since I drive around looking at the towers and how the are doing... It does actually work well at the site of my new place since I'm about eye level the top of one of the tower...The place it doesn't work is at the lake were I'll be staying and no amount of antenna would likely help because the lake is in a valley...below the signal(which I have looked at for just this reason and short of climbing a tree or mounting on a pole some where external antenna is't realy usefull) ...for now at least,we are working on that...Course I can walk to the top of the road(LONG STEEP WALK)if need be to use the phone,or mabye ride the 4wheeler...and I'll only be a coouple of miles from the build site so if need be the builder can find me easily...before or after I go to work...other than that I can usually be reached by cell phone...Don't ya just love these new fangled "APRON STRINGS".../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Jim,yeah I know, but the appear to be close spec and size wise and use the same size equipment...Based on the brochures...ya know how that can be... I would not feel like the TC21D would be settleling but something a little bigger wouldn't hurt my feelings

Lil' Paul

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ One Step Closer... #6  
Good Luck and congrats ---ditto to what the others have already said about doing as much on your new home as possible yourself.
Gordon

/ One Step Closer... #7  
Payl,

Congrats on the sale and soon-to-be new home. I built my house about 3 years ago. I did all of the contracting, bought all the materials, and did a good part of the work myself. I wouldn't do it differently if I had to do it again. I saved a ton of cash by shopping for deals, finding closeouts etc. I ended up getting all of my windows from a store that was going out of business. When I told the guy at my lumber yard what I had paid for them, he said that it was less than he could get them for. Saved about 10 grand. Definitely talk to people who have built before. I know that even thoug I save a lot, knowing what I know now, I could have done even better. The best thing is the satisfaction in saying "yes, I built that". Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike.