One tooth ripper

/ One tooth ripper #21  
Phil, you're entirely welcome - yes, it looks like a fairly simple task to build one of these - here's a pic I found (don't remember where) of a basic subsoiler, looks home made but stout - all you'd need to add would be the pipe laying part, and as I mentioned an electrical conduit "sweep" would make that part pretty easy.

150 meters on a spool might be a bit more of a challenge - you'd want to set up an axle with vertical supports probably using the two lower hitch pins, not sure just how yet - I would start with the spool your pipe comes on and work from there, setting the spool position over your "conduit sweep" so that the pipe feeds straight down into the inlet of the pipe layer part.

With a small tractor, you might need more front counterweights for this because I'm envisioning the spool with the pipe feeding off the FRONT of the spool (closest to the tractor seat) and down. This would put the bulk of the pipe spool behind the subsoil chisel, so your weight balance might be off (although poly pipe isn't REALLY heavy)

Just some thoughts; I've considered building something like this myself, but it hasn't made it to the top of a VERY long list of projects yet :confused:

If you're serious about building your own, feel free to run your ideas out so we can pick them apart :D ...Steve

Attachments

• SubSoilTravelSm.jpg
    SubSoilTravelSm.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 174
   / One tooth ripper #22  
Steve, you are a great guy !

I have been looking several hours on the web for such an implement with no result.
This one is simple and seems effective but.......New Zealand made !
Very few chance to find it in EC....
But as you said maybe I can try to weld such a device myself as the concept appears simple.
I have only a doubt about the pipe suplying. Here I have 150 meters polyethylen pipe crowns.
Maybe it needs a kind of reel up to support the pipe. The "sled runners" appears very useflul too to avoid the deep diving of the ripper in the soil.
A great implement ,

Thanks a lot for the link and suggestions.

Phil

What we normally do when we are doing long runs in the vineyard is to lay the pipe out in its desired location
. Line the tractor up at the start of its run. Pass the pipe over the cabin or ROPS of the tractor ( the pipe has to enter the ripper at just about 90 deg to the ground) and just start driving. This way you don't have problems jamming on its self on the roll and the tractor pulling the pipe through the ground etc.

/ One tooth ripper #23  
On my ground I don't have major problems of hardpan because I use a japanese Yanmar rotary tiller. The tines are crescent shape. One of the huge advantages of japanese rotary tillers is they don't make plow-hardpan.

Phil

I bet Japanese tillers will create a hardpan layer in our Midwest clay.

Aren't you dealing mostly with sandy silt loam soil? I always thought it was similar to our Great Lakes soil that is a somewhat gravelly, sand silt loam down to the subsoil layer. Good natural drainage for excellent grape growing conditions.

/ One tooth ripper
What we normally do when we are doing long runs in the vineyard is to lay the pipe out in its desired location
. Line the tractor up at the start of its run. Pass the pipe over the cabin or ROPS of the tractor ( the pipe has to enter the ripper at just about 90 deg to the ground) and just start driving. This way you don't have problems jamming on its self on the roll and the tractor pulling the pipe through the ground etc.

Zonta223, thanks for info. I understand the process. Do you use an ordinary ripper or the one new Zealand made with the pipe device ?

Phil

/ One tooth ripper
I bet Japanese tillers will create a hardpan layer in our Midwest clay.

Aren't you dealing mostly with sandy silt loam soil? I always thought it was similar to our Great Lakes soil that is a somewhat gravelly, sand silt loam down to the subsoil layer. Good natural drainage for excellent grape growing conditions.

Sixdogs,

Here the soil is not sandy.
It maybe loamy and sometimes we have hardclay too.
But the hard clay is mostly located down, at a level the tiller does not reach.
In winter our soil maybe saturated with water too.
In summer it is dry and no way to work it with a CUT until heavy rains of november.
Maybe it looks like some Californian soils.
What is sure is japanese tiller make plow hardpan a thousand times less than ordinary tiller.
That's why I really like these devices.
If I have the choice between a japanese tiller and a standard one, I'd choose the jap without any hesitation.

Phil

/ One tooth ripper
Phil, you're entirely welcome - yes, it looks like a fairly simple task to build one of these - here's a pic I found (don't remember where) of a basic subsoiler, looks home made but stout - all you'd need to add would be the pipe laying part, and as I mentioned an electrical conduit "sweep" would make that part pretty easy.

150 meters on a spool might be a bit more of a challenge - you'd want to set up an axle with vertical supports probably using the two lower hitch pins, not sure just how yet - I would start with the spool your pipe comes on and work from there, setting the spool position over your "conduit sweep" so that the pipe feeds straight down into the inlet of the pipe layer part.

With a small tractor, you might need more front counterweights for this because I'm envisioning the spool with the pipe feeding off the FRONT of the spool (closest to the tractor seat) and down. This would put the bulk of the pipe spool behind the subsoil chisel, so your weight balance might be off (although poly pipe isn't REALLY heavy)

Just some thoughts; I've considered building something like this myself, but it hasn't made it to the top of a VERY long list of projects yet :confused:

If you're serious about building your own, feel free to run your ideas out so we can pick them apart :D ...Steve

Steve,

I am thinking of welding such a pipe-subsoiler but I think there are some security devices like shear bolts or pins difficult to appreciate.
About the regulation of the depth of ripping I thought about a kind of sled runners first.
After I found this idea :

Location decompacteur testas Matériel Agricole Gironde - leboncoin.fr

Clever this reel system ? Don't you think so ?

Phil

/ One tooth ripper

Great Videos BCP. Thanks a lot.
I notice the device is home made.
They use the reel only for small pipes (one inch).
For the big one (63 mm) the make it lay n the ground before burrying it.
On the last video one can see they have the reel axle ready to use but here they don't use it as the pipe diameter is to big.

Phil

/ One tooth ripper #29  
Phil, I agree that is a clever method of depth control - although it would be a bit more involved to fabricate, I can see at least two advantages over the sled runner idea - one, it wouldn't tear up the surrounding soil as much as runners, and two, it looks like it would tend to "self heal" the "mini-trench" which would also lessen any tendency of the pipe to rise back up before you could tamp or roll the installation.

I liked it well enough to add the pic to my files for my own (eventual) build... Steve

/ One tooth ripper #30  
Phil, I agree that is a clever method of depth control - although it would be a bit more involved to fabricate, I can see at least two advantages over the sled runner idea - one, it wouldn't tear up the surrounding soil as much as runners, and two, it looks like it would tend to "self heal" the "mini-trench" which would also lessen any tendency of the pipe to rise back up before you could tamp or roll the installation.

I liked it well enough to add the pic to my files for my own (eventual) build... Steve