Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant!

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #21  
All I can say to sellers is please learn to take a photo. I can't understand why you waste the time writing "see the photos" and they are so out of focus I can't tell if it is a Ford Focus or a Chevy Suburban. Better yet lets cut ¾ of the item off - thanks, real helpful.

My personal take is when I list something on Craigslist I try and put a bunch of decent photos in the ad so people can truly see what I am selling and that it is in good shape. I have always found the better the photos the less questions and quicker my items sell. Often sold big item (RZR, tractors) to people several states away with them saying "if it looks as good as the photos I'll take it."

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #22  
I usually just post a price that will sell fast and the person knows they are getting a bargain. The problem is they try to low ball you even more! The good price off the bat strategy really brings out the tire kickers let me tell ya. Oh and as soon as you sell something you'll have 50 calls of "aw man I was going to buy it!".

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #23  
I spend way too much time "shopping" on the internet and have found some great deals but not sure I would want that legacy written on my headstone. My question is why so many sellers seem incapable of posting a clear listing, is there a reason or is it just stupidity?

There are three basic pieces of information most people need to determine if they are interested, how old is it, what shape is it in and how much is it. Disregarding the ads from scammers and commercial salespeople 90% of "by owner" ads are missing some or all of this information. Do people like twenty questions before a deal is even in play or are 90% of the posters just stupid?

My second issue with WTS postings is the seller asking a ridicules amount for the item which I believe drives everyone to respond with "what is your lowest price" before even knowing the value of what they are buying. Of course the seller has every right to ask what he wants, but do people really ever pay these inflated amounts and if not ,why start with them? Do they like the lets make a deal banter or again, just stupid?

For what it is worth if when I have found something I am looking for in excellent condition I consider a price 2/3 of new a fair deal and 1/2 of new a great deal. I also do not like to dance which may explain my irritation. :laughing:
Maybe you should buy new?Craigslist most of the time is a crap shoot.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #24  
The one that really cracks me up is when someone is selling their bow and say they have killed a lot of deer with it. Unless they are selling their hunting spot with it I don't really care how many deer they have killed.:mur:

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #25  
The one that really cracks me up is when someone is selling their bow and say they have killed a lot of deer with it. Unless they are selling their hunting spot with it I don't really care how many deer they have killed.:mur:

I'd rather read that than "shot a bunch of deer with it and none of them died." Lol

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #26  
It is amazing what you can tell about the seller and the item just by looking at an ad. If the ad looks like junk, then the item probably is, too. How hard is it to spell out words (properly), use correct punctuation, take good photos, etc.?

That being said, I have never had a sour experience using Craigslist. I have bought and sold items from $10.00 to 1000's, safely, using discretion.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #27  
If you want some interesting stories , look at the "Housing wanted " section of craigs list .

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #28  
Have bought only a few items on Craig's list but have sold a lot on EBay.
Usually have 3-4 pics and detailed description. Generally list at my minimum with a BIN at about 20-25% higher.
I try to be as credible as possible anticipating what the buyer wants to know.
Fairly often my items would sell within an hour or 2 using the BIN.

One item went for $6000. and I had an Amex CC in my door within 24 hrs.

Detailed photos are a great help and pointing out known defects or flaws really helps in credibility.
Also if it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #29  
If you want some interesting stories , look at the "Housing wanted " section of craigs list .

I find the "best of" quite entertaining.

I have 2 pet peeves while selling...

1) after carefully photographing item and describing item in explicit detail, people respond asking questions that were clearly stated in the description or could be answered from the photos included.

2) no shows. This is the most aggravating thing ever. Most of the time I will change my schedule to accommodate someone else's, some times I have to rearrange things to pull out something and people will not come when they say they will, then they don't even have the decency to call.

I have actually had a guy turn me away after driving about an hour and a half. I was buying something small like a hand power tool or something and the guy actually came to the door and said "I'm sorry, we can't do this right now, I have to leave." I had to walk right by his front picture window to get to his door and could clearly see him watching tv when I walked up. How hard would it have been to hand it to me and I hand him the money? Luckily I had been with my father because he wanted to pick something up from the same area, so it wasn't too much of a loss.

/ Online Selling Practices - Craigslist etc. Rant! #30  
I've been pretty happy with Craigs List and E-Bay shopping. However, I'm pretty selective. If it looks a little off or dodgy, I just pass on it and don't waste my time.