Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #1  

carpediem4570

Tractor
MF65, Ford 8N, AC WF
Good Evening Folks:

Like the title says, oops, I did it again.

The exhaust system on my mf 65 comes off the manifold and runs under the side of the tractor and out the back. I managed to rip out the exhaust pipe from the muffler back. I have no idea what I caught it on.

I have noticed mf 65's have two ways of venting the exhaust: out the back under the tractor or straight up. Does it make any difference which way it is vented? If the exhaust was originally down and back, can I change it to a straight up without any issues?

My acreage is primarily forest with some pretty rough ground with all the deadfall. Since I now have to replace the exhaust system, I am thinking of doing it straight up rather than down and back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #2  
I like vertical exhaust on haying tractors but horizonal for most. #1 problem with vertical is rain entering and damaging engine. #2 is exhaust fumes hitting in face. 3rd is louder. Vertical is twice as likly to be torn off when operating in the woods.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #3  
My MF 231S has a vertical exhaust. As for rain, a Molson beer can over the top of the pipe remedies rain damage (drink the beer before installing the can).

Next, as mentioned, it will be louder but, I use ear muffs hearing protection or listen to music with a headset cancelling out most of the exhaust noise.

Most vertical pipes have a curve at the tip to deflect the exhaust away from the operator. I am never bothered by fumes.

I do have some low branches that I trim to preclude contact with the exhaust and my head when mowing around trees.

I like to be able to observe the exhaust when cold starting the diesel engine and when the engine encounters a load.

I also have changed the colors of the pipe and muffler, silver, copper, black...next, I think I'll have it ceramic coated.

If you go vertical, you'll likely see no performance difference. The vertical is a straight through system on my 231S.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #4  
IMG_20201118_055433.jpg
Maybe consider changing your approach to working in the woods

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #5  
You can probably get a verticle muffler manifold realitively easily from the MF dealer.
Some manifolds have a water drain in them (MF135)to fit the rain issue. Also there are after market exhaust raincaps.
Last alternative is to put a bend (30 - 45 degrees)in the end of the exhaust, so rain can't enter. Turn the bend away from the driver seat as this helps reduce the noise.
Good Luck

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #6  
You can probably get a verticle muffler manifold realitively easily from the MF dealer.
Some manifolds have a water drain in them (MF135)to fit the rain issue. Also there are after market exhaust raincaps.
Last alternative is to put a bend (30 - 45 degrees)in the end of the exhaust, so rain can't enter. Turn the bend away from the driver seat as this helps reduce the noise.
Good Luck

Beer can is cheaper.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #7  
Even though I have a balanced rain cap on my muffler I still toss a plastic coffee container over assembly. Suspenders and belt I suppose.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #8  
Even though I have a balanced rain cap on my muffler I still toss a plastic coffee container over assembly. Suspenders and belt I suppose.

Kinda like wearing a life jacket while watching TV in your living room. You Coasties are always so safety conscious.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #9  
Kinda like wearing a life jacket while watching TV in your living room. You Coasties are always so safety conscious.

No I've seen the balanced rain caps dance open in the wind, especially if you have been working under branches or in the brush. Coffee container is easy way to let me not worry about monsoon conditions hurting my tractor.

/ Oops, I Did It Again; MF 65 Exhaust System #10  
No I've seen the balanced rain caps dance open in the wind, especially if you have been working under branches or in the brush. Coffee container is easy way to let me not worry about monsoon conditions hurting my tractor.

There is an even better way!
Keep it inside!