oops!!!

/ oops!!! #21  
When I lived in Rochester, NY I was floored to see that they had the Motorcycle cops handle the funeral processions year round. In the winter they just put training wheels on them so they could remain upright. Sure wouldn't want to draw that duty!

Jeff

/ oops!!! #22  
Jeff, in '72 I visited the Harley-Davidson headquarters (in Milwaukee at that time), and while I was there, talked to a Milwaukee motorcycle officer. I didn't even know Harley still built the hand gear shift and foot clutch on that late a model, but that's what Milwaukee had because they used the bikes year round, too; put a sidecar on in the winter and took it off in the summer he told me.

/ oops!!! #23  
Always makes me wonder how long it would take to remember to lean the bike to the right every time. Pretty hard to put your foot down and push in the clutch at the same time!

Jeff

/ oops!!! #24  
Jeff, as you undoubtedly know, humans are peculiar animals when it comes to changing things. If I remember right, it was in '66 when the Dallas PD changed from the foot clutch/hand gear shift to the foot shift. And all the motorcycle officers griped and complained and everyone wanted to be the last to have to change. And now I'll bet the current crop of officers would really gripe if they had to change back to the old way./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ oops!!! #25  
A few years ago we had an interesting accident here (Corning, NY). A BIG tractor-trailer flat bed rig got stuck under a bridge. This was one of those rigs for hauling oversize loads. It has extra axles, so that there are 30-40 tires on the ground. It didn't damage the bridge because it was going fairly slow with the huge tank that it was hauling.

The real kicker is that it turns out that the whole suspension is adjustable, and while moving the driver could have lowered it enough to easily clear the bridge. I bet that took some explaining to the boss...

I have an 11' tall motorhome, and there are a few 9' railroad underpasses around here. I've never hit one, but twice i've come within 20' before getting it stopped. It makes me sweat just thinking about it.

Mike

/ oops!!! #26  
Just watched the evening news on TV and in Dallas this morning a truck on I-30 was hauling a forklift that was too tall (supposedly 14' 6" overpass). They said it knocked the forklift off the truck, it bounced across some other lanes, and landed on a car, killing the driver (local radio DJ on his way home from work)./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ oops!!! #28  
They was T.T. hauling a huge boat that got caught up in the Boston tunnel last week,and the boat came off the trailer and roll onto a car,but nobody was hurt..whew..4 to 5 hour delay...very lucky.

/ oops!!! #29  
jd850
Was that the tug boat that went under the bridge? I saw that awhile ago and heard that the site got so many hits they had to shut it down. If this is not the same one, it would not let me in.

MarkV