Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Not being in a position to buy just yet, tomorrow I am picking up a rental New Holland 33HP with HST, Loader and Box Blade. Didn't get the model number but that probably isn't important right now.

Will have it for a week hoping to get as much mileage out of it as possible. I have several projects I need to get done before it really gets cold and was wondering if the gang might give me a few tips on operating the loader. I have a reasonable amount of experience with a Box Blade thanks to the neighbors tractor but have never ran a loader. Here are a few of the things I will be doing.

I need to level the dirt/gravel around the perimeter of our Mobile Home to prepare for the skirting. This will mean getting the loader slightly under the edge of the house and dragging it level, filling in when necessary.

Distribute and level a load of pea-gravel under where we are going to build our porch and just generally move some dirt around.

I would also like to scrape up some sod from a far corner of the property and put it down in the front of the house so we aren't walking in the mud when it rains.

Looking to shorten the learning curve as much as posible..

Thanks
Bob

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #2  
Using the loader is pretty much common sense. Keep it as low as possible when loaded and you won't get that tip over feeling when you start and stop. When you want to level from under the house just put the bucket under as far as you can without destroying the house, put a slight angle down towards the ground on the bucket drop it to a comfortable level and back up. You'll back drag as you go. On my tc30 when I push the handle all the way up it sort of locks there and the bucket free floats that'll work out nice in reverse to level what your doing. Just play with it and you'll feel it. Just use common sense when carrying a load or making close quarter turns. Remember the bucket is in front of you, and you need to know where it is at all times. A heavy load with the bucket all the way up and travling a distance is just asking for trouble. When you want to peel the grass, start the bucket level, tip it downward slightly so it cuts the grass line and move forward slowly. You'll fell when it starts to dig in to much and start lifting or tiping the bucket upward. It's hard to explain but like I said you'll feel it. And you'll have one heck of a good time. Enjoy the week with the loaner and then go see your nearest NH dealer, you won't regret it.

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #3  
A FEW WORDS OF ADVICE: 1st run the tractor around till u get used to the fel and THE HST sounds like u will be working very close your home, so u must go slow, don't want an accident, u have it for a week, so save the close in work till you are very comfortable with the operation.

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader
Great stuff, thanks guys.

Ya I have quite a bit of work to do covering up the 200 foot trench to the shop and most of it is in pretty open territory. Good place to start /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

O-Boy O-Boy O-Boy this is going to be so much fun... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #5  
When I push dirt to backfill trenches I always keep the loader bucket filled with dirt, just raising it when I backed up, then lowering it to take another small bite out of the pile and pushing it into the trench, without dumping it. The extra weight keeps the bucket on the ground and makes the loader bucket act sorta like a blade. You'd think emptying the bucket with each pass would be quicker, but this way is faster. Same with leveling, keep that bucket heavy and you'll back drag lots more dirt smoother.

Day one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have learned you can get a 4wd tractor stuck but with a loader it isn't a big deal. Just use the loader to walk it out of the hole.

I have learned that it's a real art using a loader. Can't tell what position the loader is in when I am on the tractor and either dig in too much or not enough.

Sure glad I rented it for a week, it's going to take another several hours of learning then a day to fix my goofs.

PS: After the manual transmission MF 135 I have been using HST rocks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #7  
If the loader has a leveling rod attached, take a moment to get it in the flat position and the mark the rod with a piece of tape. It will change a little depending on the ground contours you're working on but it's a handy reference point.

Thanks for the tip, it does have the rod but I couldn't see what good it was without some sort of markings. I thought about marking it but felt whatever I used would come/wear off in short order as it slid in the tube.

I am getting better with this thing, yesterday I cut in a circle drive, mostly used the box blade but moved the dirt with the loader. The gravel gets delivered today and we will see how well I am at spreading/leveling gravel.

Still having fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #9  
Bob - It was mentioned to know where the bucket is at all times. That is especially true when backing up since you will probably not be watching it. Remember the bucket will swing to the right when turning left, and vice versa. If you happen to be close to something when you turn, and are not watching the bucket, you may end up with damage to the house, car, barn, etc. Don't ask how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Operating a 33HP New Holland W/loader #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . . The gravel gets delivered today and we will see how well I am at spreading/leveling gravel.

Still having fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Keep on having fun, you keep on getting better too--only danger is to your wallet--you are going to want to buy a tractor now. I justified mine by adding up several thousand dollars in rental fees for the work I already knew I'd have to do. Haven't got around to much of that yet and I've just passed 50 hours.

Here are a few tips on digging and spreading gravel that have worked for me.

When you drive up to a gravel pile to load the bucket don't just drive in and stall the tractor and then roll back and raise the loader bucket. This won't get the bucket full. A better way is to scrape a load off the front of the pile instead of digging it out of the pile. To do this, start with the bucket low and drive in about a bucket's length and then start to roll back and lift the bucket--all the while continuing to drive forward to keep the bucket filled. After a while you'll get the feel of how much to ease up on the power pedal as you penetrate the pile and roll back and lift.

To spread gravel with the loader. Dump your gravel where you need it. Then with the empty bucket, put the loader on the ground past [over] the pile, tilt the bucket down around 20 to 30 degrees, lift the front wheels of the tractor slightly off the ground, back up. This will do a fair job of spreading and compacting the gravel without leaving too many waves. In fact, if you do get waves, dump a little gravel just past the wave, flatten the bucket out just a bit more and backwards drag the waves out. You won't be able to back up a great distance as you don't have any steering, but, you can get 10' to 20' per pass. After a bit you can get the feel and lower the front wheels and gain back some steering. Although, it is a compromise between getting waves and having steering.

Keep on diggin'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif