Operating rear PTO

/ Operating rear PTO #1  

Baldcini

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I have a purchased used John Deere 3320 (2008) with only a rear PTO. I want to attach a wood chipper. Whenever I engage the PTO and exit the tractor, the engine turns off. I realize this is a safety precaution but I will need the PTO to continue turning in order for chipping to be a one man operation.
The manual only addresses the 3320 model that has both a mid and rear PTO. The instrument panel shows front, mid and rear PTOs but the pull knob only has one on position for the rear. Not a problem when operating a brush mower or post auger as you want to be in a safety zone (seat) when operating. Engine still turns off when ehydro is in N and hand brake is set.
Do I need to pull the seat safety switch each time I want to use off-seat PTO?
Any information would be most helpful.

Last edited:
   / Operating rear PTO #2  
If you lock the brake will it work? just guessing, I don't know that particular tractor..

/ Operating rear PTO #3  
I don't know about that model, but on my somewhat older JD I have to tilt the seat forward and lift the safety switch to operate the PTO with no one in the seat.

There is time to do that before the engine quits if you engage the PTO then get up, if you act quickly. Hold the seat down as you move out of the way, then tilt it up. Or, you can do it before you engage the PTO, at least on mine.

/ Operating rear PTO #4  
If you disconnect the seat safety switch it will leave the circuit open and won't start so you will have to run a jumper wire between the two leads. Another option is to get a small 12v toggle switch and wire it between the two leads. When working off the tractor just flip to the On position and you will be able to override the safety switch. When finished just flip to off position and seat safety switch will operate normally.

/ Operating rear PTO #5  
Try getting off tractor, engine running, then engage PTO... Should stay running then

/ Operating rear PTO #6  
Disconnect the seat switch. It's there for you're protection, not your productivity.

/ Operating rear PTO #7  
There should be a way to run the PTO for a stationary attachment without modifying or bypassing the seat switch. On some Kubotas you put the tractor in neutral, start the PTO then get off and flip the seat up within a period of time.

If the manual does not cover it (double check, sometimes information can be hard to find) try calling a dealer.

/ Operating rear PTO #8  
I have a purchased used John Deere 3320 (2008) with only a rear PTO. I want to attach a wood chipper. Whenever I engage the PTO and exit the tractor, the engine turns off. I realize this is a safety precaution but I will need the PTO to continue turning in order for chipping to be a one man operation.
The manual only addresses the 3320 model that has both a mid and rear PTO. The instrument panel shows front, mid and rear PTOs but the pull knob only has one on position for the rear. Not a problem when operating a brush mower or post auger as you want to be in a safety zone (seat) when operating. Engine still turns off when ehydro is in N and hand brake is set.
Do I need to pull the seat safety switch each time I want to use off-seat PTO?
Any information would be most helpful.

CLICK HERE to go to the online JD3320 operators manual. On the left side select "using the power-take-off (PTO) Safely". On the pto page scroll down the page to "Using Rear PTO (Operator off Seat)" and it tells you how to do it.

/ Operating rear PTO #9  
CLICK HERE to go to the online JD3320 operators manual. On the left side select "using the power-take-off (PTO) Safely". On the pto page scroll down the page to "Using Rear PTO (Operator off Seat)" and it tells you how to do it.

That's where I got my answer from

/ Operating rear PTO #10  
The 4010 (same as a 2019E, if they made them) had an under-seat button for that, but it wasn't wired in for the 4010. I hot jumpered it to work like the ones on the 4110 and 4115, but it ceased to work after a bit. So, I just straped the seat back down. Did the same on the 1025R lemon and now do it on the 2025R.

Ralph