Operation in 4 Wheel Drive?

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #1  

Mike1

Question for the board. I have a Jinma 304, the pigeon english owner's manual indicates that 4Wd should be used sparingly, and turning should be limited. However, when the ground is muddy, do I really risk any damage to the tractor operating it all day in 4wd instead of shifting back and forth from 2 wd to 4 wd?

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #2  
In loose or muddy I leave mine in 4wd full time..never had a problem yet, but I am carefull to go to 2wd on solid type ground..

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #3  
If I'm losing traction using the FEL while moving dirt I use the 4WD but I try to get by in 2WD using the differential lock first. I try not to use it if I don't need it.

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #4  
Very interesting question! I leave mine in 4WD all time except when on pavement. I will be interested to hear what other more experienced owners think. I hope I am not damaging anything but around here I really need 4WD too many hills and loose dirt for 2WD to work.

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #5  
I run mine in 4 wheel drive 90% of the time at my place. It's always slick and I'm always in the grass or mud. I would more about tearing up the lawn when turning then I would about wrecking the gears in the tractor. On lawn etc the drivetrain won't bind because the grass will give. Just like driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle, Jeep etc with the front end locked in. Use your head. If the wheels can't slip don't use it. Concrete, pavement etc. 4 wheel drive diff lock and a prayer needed prior to this pic....

Attachments

• 551076-tractor 4-16-04 004.jpg
    551076-tractor 4-16-04 004.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 303
   / Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #6  
I use 4 whl drive a LOT too, not on HARD dirt unless climbing hills or pulling hard engauging equipment. also FEL use I'm usually in 2 whl drive unless extra traction is needed... if I'm mowing then it si 2 wheel drive ONLY as I have to turn a lot, less stress on her. the FEL is on 100% of time and probably 4 whl drive 70% of time. (when NOT mowing)

so far only had to DIF LOCK her and 4 wheel drive abotu 4 times... 2 times the only way I could have gotten out was dif lock as 4 whl didn't help....

MarkM

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #7  
I used diff lock only a few times myself as I was backing up my firecut in in 4H reverse ready to drop the box scraper when traction was lost. I have a hill about 40 degrees for about 120 feet that is really scary going up. I back up it because if I lose traction I drop the box scraper and level an extra 5 ft behind my wheels and haul up there again and again until I get to the top. Going forward I would be scared to flip and if I lost traction I would sure have a stiff neck backing down. When I got to the top I put 6 hrs on the tractor because I had fun dragging the trails and didn't know when I'd make it up there again.

/ Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #8  
Heres a few pics but it really doesn't put the angle in perspective. I hold on the hangrips of my quad tightly let alone my tractor.

Attachments

• 551262-7-11-04 038.jpg
    551262-7-11-04 038.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 299
   / Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #9  
Another.
I have a lot of pics on my website under the tractor album if you care to view it. I think there is about 40 or so pics.
http://users.adelphia.net/~gizmo/

Attachments

• 551263-7-11-04 043.jpg
    551263-7-11-04 043.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 247
   / Operation in 4 Wheel Drive? #10  
1 More

Attachments

• 551264-7-11-04 045.jpg
    551264-7-11-04 045.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 243