Opinion?

/ Opinion? #1  

bigsilver

Tractor
'18 MF 4707, '67 MF 135, '16 Mahindra 2540
New poster here (I have been a member since 2008 but this is my first post). I have decided that it is time to buy a compact tractor. I original started looking at the 3616 Mahindra a few years ago (it takes me forever to buy something), so naturally I took a look at the 1500 series. I got three quotes this past Saturday. All prices are for shuttle trans and include rear filled R4 tires and FEL without any other options. I have about 15 acres total with a mix of hills (10 acres) and flat (5 acres). I will be using the machine for mid duty FEL work, finish mowing, bushhoging, driveway maintenance and hobby farming (chickens, goats, maybe a cow and pig or two). I have read just about everything on here and just really cant decide. I think the prices are good and plan to use any bargaining power to buy a finishing mower. I currently have a MF 135 (gas), 6' box blade, 6' bushhog, 6' grader and I also have access to a 5' tiller. I would like to add a 6' rake, two bottom plow, drum mower/sickle bar mower, tedder, hay rake and a square baler or small round baler in the future. Like I said just looking for opinions (aka a shove in the back).

1533 $19,300
1538 $23,300
2540 $24,500

/ Opinion? #2  
All great machines. Where are you located? In TX you can get a 2538 for the price of the 1533 you note above...

The 2538 is basically the same as the 2540 but with hydrostat, no suspension seat, and it has a slightly derated loader due to the small hydrostat effect. Also less expensive. It is a very capable tractor and was priced at a healthy savings over the Mitsubishi 1500s down here. (Those are great tractors too...) Just wanted to point it out as you had interest in the 2540. I split the dealer cost to have the suspension seat added on mine and consider that a must have add on, especially when doing lots of rough work in the woods. You can also add a cruise kit for $150-$200 when mowing.

Good luck - you cannot go wrong with any the units mentioned.

/ Opinion?
Thanks for the reply. I am in TN. I have dealers for the majority of compact's 30 mins from me all located in the same city (missing kioti, and LS). I actually prefer the shuttle to the hydro that is why I priced the 2540 over the 2538. Don't have anything ageist hydro just would rather have a shuttle. I did like the layout of the 1500 series better but I like the 2540 seat, size and weight better. I also looked at a used Case farmall 50B at a different dealer. The 50B had tier 3 emissions with 87 hours on it for the same price as the 1538. The dealer I priced the mahindra (also a New Holland, Case/IH dealer) at, offered to work a deal on the 50B, after contacting the other dealer of course. I am going to use this dealer due to past experiences with them when I use to hay.

/ Opinion? #4  
I actually prefer the shuttle to the hydro that is why I priced the 2540 over the 2538. Don't have anything ageist hydro just would rather have a shuttle.

Understood. Only other input I have is that having owned both a Mitsubishi chassis Max 25, and a TYM chassis 2538, I can vouch for both as being comfortable and capable machines. The Mitsu's are a touch more refined in fit and finish, but I am very pleased with the TYM foundation as well, especially for the price. If you do go with either the 1538 or 2540 you'll be getting a great tractor. (I think you'll want at least a 38HP machine for six foot implements IMHO.) You also mentioned seat, size, and weight above. I think you'll find your self in the seat frequently, and the size and weight are hard to change after purchase, so perhaps let those guide your purchase and then add your cup holder and other luxury items later on! :D

/ Opinion?
Funny, I did notice no cup holder on the 2540. I have been using a piece of PVC with a cap glued on, a couple of drain holes and a bolt through the finder for years.

/ Opinion? #6  
Check out the 1526. It IS the 3x16 with a new model number.

/ Opinion? #7  
I recently got a 1538 shuttle so if you have any questions for that specific model let me know. I have R4s, a backhoe and FEL on mine with only 22 hours on the clock. It seems you already have your dealer all picked out and that's half the battle.

/ Opinion?
Thank you all for your input. I think the 1526 is a little on the small size HP wise. I have narrowed it down between the 1538 and the 2540. Dealer has offered to bring both units to the house and let me try them and keep whichever one I like the most.

/ Opinion? #9  
All great machines. Where are you located? In TX you can get a 2538 for the price of the 1533 you note above...

The 2538 is basically the same as the 2540 but with hydrostat, no suspension seat, and it has a slightly derated loader due to the small hydrostat effect. Also less expensive. It is a very capable tractor and was priced at a healthy savings over the Mitsubishi 1500s down here. (Those are great tractors too...) Just wanted to point it out as you had interest in the 2540. I split the dealer cost to have the suspension seat added on mine and consider that a must have add on, especially when doing lots of rough work in the woods. You can also add a cruise kit for $150-$200 when mowing.

Good luck - you cannot go wrong with any the units mentioned.

"the suspension seat added on mine and consider that a must have add on"

Absolutely

Before I sold my old Kubota, I swapped its seat suspension for the "No suspension" on my Max28.
Mahindra is really cost cutting selling anything without a comfortable suspension seat.

/ Opinion? #10  
Thank you all for your input. I think the 1526 is a little on the small size HP wise. I have narrowed it down between the 1538 and the 2540. Dealer has offered to bring both units to the house and let me try them and keep whichever one I like the most.

Well now, there's an eager and service oriented dealer for ya. Sounds like a good one.
BTW the seat on the 1538 is decent as is, just don't sit on it with a bunch of tools in your back pocket like I did. I went with the shuttle because I didn't like the rocker pedal on the HST. I found it to be awkward and uncomfortable.