Opinions on Potting Shed

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I have been look at different designs for potting sheds for my wife. We found one on the Progressive Farmer web site that she likes.

Wanted to see if some of you could give me your opinion on the design. I will most likely start building mid to late summer with a few changes to this design.

The 6x6's seem like over kill but I think it is more for the "look" they are trying to achieve with the design. The 4x4's are centered between the 6x6 with siding that gives the effect of a post and beam construction.

Opinions on construction?

Ok the PDF file with the planis to big to load, I'll try to post a link.

David

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    747.6 KB · Views: 2,116
   / Opinions on Potting Shed #3  
That is a great looking shed.

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #4  
That looks great. I built one 10 years ago but used glass panels for the roof. My wife keeps many plants and hanging baskets on our porch during warm weather, and every November, they are transferred to the shed for winter. I have a small electric wall heater to keep it slightly heated, and our plants stay alive over winter. I just removed them this weekend. Some of them are 10 years old. Much cheaper than replacing them yearly! If you have this need, consider that in the design, especially in size. I also have a exhaust fan installed, controlled by a thermostat, to get ventilation in the hot weather, especially important if plants are kept inside. The floor is brick pavers to allow for drainage. I would build it bigger than you think you need, as space is a premium, especially if plants are kept inside. Good luck!

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #5  
I have an 10 x 12 that we outgrew fairly quickly. Although 8 x 10 would be cheaper in material costs, I agree with the previous post to consider a larger structure.

I tend to think that an entry under the side shed roof would be more convenient. Then I'd lengthen the building enough to put small windows on either side of the door to make it symmetrical. Picture it as a scaled down old farm house with a covered porch from years ago. At this point, we're no longer going by the Progressive Farmer plans....

Would absolutely recommend at least a couple of light admitting roof panels, and a ridge vent.

Probably less aggravation to put up posts and beams and pour a slab for the shed and the outdoor potting area that would be on one level, and then pitch the outdoor area well so it can be hosed off.

/ Opinions on Potting Shed
Some good thoughts, thanks guys.

We have played with seversl designs and sizes. This will be used exclusively for my wife potting plants and stuff. We were going for the old farmhouse look since I have a lot of doors and windows I want to recycle from the old family farm.

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #7  
That is a really good looking shed. I have seen some that have the "overhang" out the front instead of too the side. That way it's like a small porch and you can set a chair there to watch the garden grown on a nice day too. We have an 8x8 and it is way too small. We are going to make it a lot bigger this year as we do a lot of gardening.

I also have a tool fetish so I have many many many rakes, hoes, shovels, etc. I have found that a great way to hang them is to put a 2x4 on the wall inside about 6 feet up, drill holes and stick long dowels into the holes, angled upwards. This way, with 2 dowels a few inches apart you can hang about 6 or 7 shovels or whatever on the same mount. I also put a shelf inside about 4 feet high and I keep a full 5 gal gas can on it with a siphon hose. My wife hates pouring gas and this way if she needs to fill a mower or whatever she can do it easily.

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #8  
Good idea to start thinking about maximizing the use of interior space and where shelves, etc will go.

There is something about the relative pitch of the design roof and porch that may need some adjustments for visual effect. Would also add some contrasting trim corner boards, door trim, and window trim. In moving the door from the end gable to the side wall, I would also consider either a sliding door or pocket sliding door to conserve space.

Attachments

• potting shed suggestions (Large).jpg
    potting shed suggestions (Large).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 476
   / Opinions on Potting Shed #9  
It seems if it just going to be potting shed and no more, the size is fine.

I'd say you can use 4x4s all around, But for looks, tack on some 1x rough sawn cedar with beveled edges to give the thicker column effect.

Then Rough sawn cedar board and batten siding.

Maybe 4 light windows?

looks like a fun project.

/ Opinions on Potting Shed #10  
That's a good looking shed, I'm sure your wife will really enjoy it! I do agree that bigger is always better if you have the room

One thing I noticed was that the plans recommend using pressure treated lumber battens for the metal roof. Chech with the roofing manufacturer as there have been some problems with that recently. I just bought metal for a mini barn I'm building and the local Amish builing center I buy from has a big discalimer up of about it.

"Recent changes in the chemical treatments used in treated wood have resulted in reports and concerns about corrosion of fasteners and metals that come in contact with treated wood that use specific, current generation chemical treatments. "

From here:

Special Report: Use of treated wood in roof assemblies, February 2005 | NRCA National Roofing Contractors Association