Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss)

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #1  

Keller

Since this is the unofficial "pole barn" forum I hope I am in the right spot with this. I an wanting to build my own pole barn and I keep seeing these trusses pop ip for sale. I have never seen one of these buildings in person and I was wanting opinions on them. Their 40' with a 6 foot leg. I would be putting them on a 4' concrete wall for a 10' wall height. Just wondering g how hard they are to work with.

Pretty tempting when I can buy the trusses and poles all for the price of 6x6s.

I know their is the added cost of the concrete wall. But my dad does concrete by trade and I like the idea of having a half buried shop. Like a basement. Cool in the Sumer warm in the winter.

Attachments

• image-2299485176.png
    image-2299485176.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 752
   / Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #2  
Are these used trusses?

And do they need support at the ridge, or not?

What is your snow load?

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #3  
trusses aren't something that you can just slap up and call good. each one is a specifically engineered building component that was designed for a certain place and loading condition.

the picture that you're showing is actually a trussed rigid frame. while i can't comment on that particular frame, i will say that pre-fabbed rigid frames are pretty darn flimsy, as they're built to the absolute minimum requirements. i am not a fan.

-matt

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss)
beenthere said:
Are these used trusses?

And do they need support at the ridge, or not?

What is your snow load?

They are used.

They are free span.

I have no idea what my snow loaf is. I tried to google search with no luck. Any Ideas? Franklin county mo.

mattellis2 said:
trusses aren't something that you can just slap up and call good. each one is a specifically engineered building component that was designed for a certain place and loading condition.

the picture that you're showing is actually a trussed rigid frame. while i can't comment on that particular frame, i will say that pre-fabbed rigid frames are pretty darn flimsy, as they're built to the absolute minimum requirements. i am not a fan.

-matt

Well noted. You get what you pay for.

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #6  
These trusses are rock solid. I am from Arkansas where Adams Truss is based and they are used everywhere. They will be fine.

I don't agree with the statement these are engineered to minimum specs. While I am sure that happens, Adams Truss is one of the largest providers of poultry house trusses in the south. If they work for large poultry operations, they will be fine for you and anyone else for that matter.

kinglake said:
These trusses are rock solid. I am from Arkansas where Adams Truss is based and they are used everywhere. They will be fine.

I don't agree with the statement these are engineered to minimum specs. While I am sure that happens, Adams Truss is one of the largest providers of poultry house trusses in the south. If they work for large poultry operations, they will be fine for you and anyone else for that matter.

Have you ever worked with them first hand?? I know they are usually left open ended. They also are also usually on 10 foot centers. I could put them on 8 if it helps the snow load.

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #9  
Yes, I have worked with them first hand in a poultry operation. They were on 10 foot centers as you mentioned with steel purlins. If you did 8 foot center with 2X4 on edge it should be fine.

They are all over Northwest Arkansas in the "mountains" where they get snow each year. I don't know of anyone ever having trouble with them collapsing in that area. If you go to the Adams Truss website and email them, I bet they can give you a very specific answer to snow loads.

/ Opinions on steel trusses (adams truss) #10  
I would jump all over them.

My barn is similar trusses on 6X6's.

Call them poultry trusses on a search and you will find more answers.