Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #1  

Freeborn

Tractor
John Deere 3520, John Deere X740
Hi Group,

I'm in the market for a rotary tiller for working 6 acres of food plots and occationally tilling under prairie grass. I have sandy loam soil with few rocks for my food plots so I see that as light duty. The prairie grass will be allot harder but it will be mowed and then I plan on using the tiller to incorporate the grass into the soil. The prairie grass is part of a CRP MID contract maintenance requirement and will require me to till about 10 acres every few years.

I'm looking at getting a 6' (about 72") unit of what ever brand I purchase. Taylor way appears to be made by King Kutter which I think most people give good reviews to. Both units are gear driven which I like.

For you guys who own a Taylor way what are you experiences with the units. How is service and parts? Do you think I could do 10 acres of mowed Prairie grass without having problems.

I'll be running the unit behind a JD 3520. THe grass will be mowed by either a brush mower or flail mower.

Thanks Much!

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #2  
I have the King Kutter gear-drive and it's been great - they're tough units. 10 acres won't be a problem, just keep in mind with a 6' working width you'll be busy. The recommended PTO HP is 35, I was undecided since I had 33 PTO HP between the 5' and the 6'... went with the 6' and it was a good choice. It is definitely going to put your tractor to work tilling grass though.

I've never needed service/parts on any of my KK stuff.

Given the acreage, I think you would want to consider a disc for that work.

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #3  
I'm looking at getting a 6' (about 72") unit of what ever brand I purchase. Taylor way appears to be made by King Kutter which I think most people give good reviews to. Both units are gear driven which I like.

I just want to add that --------------------> "IF" the tiller is of good quality, I'd pick chain drive over gear drive... I know lots here think gear drive is an advantage, but it isn't... Now, I'm NOT talking about cheap china quality, I'm talking about good quality HD tillers...

SR

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #4  
King Kutter rules in my area. Bushog is a distant second.

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #5  
King kutter Gear drive here for many years (at least 8 but not more than 10) No Problems at all.

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #6  
I just want to add that --------------------> "IF" the tiller is of good quality, I'd pick chain drive over gear drive... I know lots here think gear drive is an advantage, but it isn't... Now, I'm NOT talking about cheap china quality, I'm talking about good quality HD tillers...

SR

Ok so why is the chain better? Replacement cost? Durability? Please inform us.

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #7  
Ok so why is the chain better? Replacement cost? Durability? Please inform us.

Chains take "shock" loads much better than gear drive, and when you do as much "custom tilling" as I do and have done, chain drive ends up being less expensive to own...long term.

SR

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #8  
I still don't get it? COuld you please explain in more detail?
The way I see it we have features designed in to help absorb those shock loads and they have worked fine for me thus far. Yes it might be more expensive to replace a gear set up if it breaks but in my experience it is much less common than having to replace worn chains and gears and I have seen many more busted chains than I have ever seen broken gears.

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #9  
I still don't get it? COuld you please explain in more detail?
The way I see it we have features designed in to help absorb those shock loads and they have worked fine for me thus far. Yes it might be more expensive to replace a gear set up if it breaks but in my experience it is much less common than having to replace worn chains and gears and I have seen many more busted chains than I have ever seen broken gears.

Well, how many acres have you tilled with YOUR tiller??? 100, 500, 1,000?? IF you are doing a few gardens and an occasional small field, then any decent tiller will handle that for a long time.....as long as it's "sized" properly to the tractor it's on.

The slight movement of a chain in oil, moving back and forth absorbs shock loads much better than the same sharp banging of a gear set, as the shock load is spread over a longer surface to absorb it. That's the bottom line...

If you have seen chain drive tillers with chain problems, then you saw a cheapo tiller, or a tiller that's sized wrong for the tractor, and I bet it was the former! I personally have seen several gear drive tillers with busted up gear sets...

I run three chain drive tillers "commercially"... This one is coming up on 2,000 acres and I couldn't even begin to count the thousands upon thousands of rocks and other junk I've hit in the ground on job sites, as I don't turn down tilling jobs because there's rocks or trash in the field,

standard.jpg

The chain and sprockets in this tiller are original, they get yearly oil changes/chain inspections and the chain/sprockets are still in very good condition... My other two tillers also have not needed anything but yearly oil changes...

I tilled an old field that ended up being full of hidden junk steel and rocks for a TBN member here, if anyone doubts what I'm posting, I probably could get him to chime in with his take on how my tiller handled his job. He knows me, my tiller and knows other customers I've tilled for too...

SR

/ Opinions on Taylor Way Tillers #10  
I am not doubting you at all just tryin to understand completely your point of view and experience. My uses may not be extreme as yours seem to be but I do get the occasional job with rocks and such. For the most part If the condition of the soil is that much in question I will not use the tiller till the field has been turned with the big plow first. If the customer is unwilling to pay for the extra step I simply don't need the Job bad enough to damage any of my equipment to save them money.

So far I have not had any breakage on a gear driven tiller since 1979 when some one used the wrong PTO shaft on our tiller and instead of using a shear bolt they installed a hardened bolt. One tooth went south in the gear drive and the Universal on the PTO shaft twisted like a pretzel. It was still a quick fix and we were running the next day. I doubt parts like that are on the shelves at the dealer these days so I can clearly see an advantage to chain drive for quick repairs as sprockets are much more easy to find quickly and can be adapted with much more ease when you cant get the exact part/fit right now but still need the job done.

I do see your point now about the chain floating in oil as the oil acts as somewhat of a cushion or shock absorber so to speak. I might have to reconsider the gear -vs-chain when I start shopping for my next tiller.