Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hi everyone, I was looking for some opinions on this Bobcat 743. I went and drove it today. Its a 1986 model I think.

While I didn't get to hear it cold start, I would of course do that before I purchased the machine. The owner said he would hold the glow plugs for about 45 seconds, then it would take about 3 tries to get it running in the 35ish degree weather. It fired up instantly when warm.

It doesn't appear to be burning any oil. It has a about 3200 hours.

The interior is a little rough, the coolant temperature gauge doesn't work, but the rest of the machine seems pretty solid. He said he had a new gauge to put in there.

If you look in the picture that shows the front of the machine, you can see 2 plates that are on the cross-brace above the bucket, on the arms. The owner said a crack developed here, but he welded the plates on there and from what i can tell he did a good job and it seems solid.

It has the 4 cylinder Kubota diesel. I think its 30 something horsepower.

I've only operated larger skidsteers before, like a 753-773.

This one seemed to be lacking power. I don't know if it wasn't running right, or if its just because its a smaller machine. Is it normal for the tires not to spin and the engine to bog when pushing into a pile of hard dirt to scoop it up? I noticed some white smoke at the higher RPMs, especially under load. It could have been because it was cold out. It didn't smell like antifreeze or anything, so I don't think the headgasket is bad. Maybe theres a hole in a fuel line drawing some air in?

Or maybe a little white smoke is normal. The exhaust smells like diesel exhaust, no oil or other bad "smells".

The owner was using the machine for a job he had, and it looks like he takes decent care of his equipment - it had dates written on the oil filter and such.

He operated the machine at about 3/5 to 3/4 throttle it seemed. I guess thats OK, hopefully someone can chime in there.

He was also including a backhoe attachment. It didn't appear to have been used much, and came with 2 buckets. Last time he used it a hydraulic hose busted, and he said it lost about 5 gallons of fluid.

I have asked him if he would take 6500 for the machine with the backhoe and regular bucket, and he said yes, it seems like a decent deal, but I wanted to have others give their opinion on the machine before I bought it. Its a lot of money no matter what way you look at it.

Hopefully these pictures and videos can help.

Thanks again for your input.

Dennis

Sorry about the crappy quality videos, its the best my cell phone can do.

1122081204b_01.jpg

1122081205_01.jpg

1122081203_01.jpg

1122081203a_01.jpg

1122081204_01.jpg

1122081204a_01.jpg

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #3  
Wow, $6500 WITH the backhoe? The hoe itself often sells for that much.
If that were around here, I would buy it today.

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video
Thanks for the reply. I also posted this over on DieselTruckResource, and got a lot of replies that said to stay away from it... so as much input as I can get would be great.

Thanks.

Dennis

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #5  
I have had the same exact machine since about 1995. Mine had 250 hours on it when I bought it and it is now right at 3000. I has been a great machine but have to admit it has become harder to start. I never installed a block heater but think it would be a good thing for cold weather. I have resorted to a touch of starter fluid sometimes. Mine also has a problem with the operating levers not wanting to stay centered upon cold startup.

This has been such a workhorse, filling in and assisting my other equipment. Back in the days when that machine was made, the 743 accounted for 25% of the skidsteers in the entire world.

The price is right but keep in mind it that it probably wont be trouble free as you put more hours on it.

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #6  
From the pics the machine looks used but not abused. The age and hours; you'd expect the machine to have some scars.

The engine sounds like it's tired. Should have black smoke when she bogs out and the tires should break traction - IMO.

But, for that price - you could drop a couple grand into an engine rebuild and still be OK. Of course, you could also get a couple more years use from the machine before you'd have to pull the engine, too.

I'd buy it if it was closer to me...

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video
I think you're right... the machine just didn't seem to have the "oomph" it should. The engine didn't seem to be running right... it started fine and idled great, but when you revved it up... I don't know, it just didn't feel right. Sure not like my Yanmar in my tractor or my Cummins in my truck. I don't have extra money to put into a rebuilt engine right now, and I want a dependable machine, especially if I want to use the machine to make some money as well as on our little horse farm.

I guess I'll just keep looking... I'm dissapointed though, I would have loved to have had that with the Backhoe attachment.

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #8  
I cannot see your videos or pictures (my computer) but a running 743 with a backhoe for $6500 is a good deal.

As has been said, the 743 is one of the most popular out there and parts, instructions etc. are very available.

Yes, if you have been running bigger machines, it will feel weak.

I would be amazed if you found a more dependable skidsteer for $6500.

We run our 743 wide open.

Ours takes several cranks when cold, and you should be glow plugging it longer if you did it in compliance with the sticker / instructions on it. There should be a sticker next too the key showing the lengths of time to glow it, and it seems like at that temp it was 90 seconds, but don't quote me on that.

Good luck

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #9  
My father in law had one, it was a great little machine. Light enough to be towed easily behind a pickup truck. It burnt in a garage fire. He replaced it with the same model used, and this one didn't seem to have the power. He traded up to a 753 after that. The first one was always run at full throttle or the hydraulics felt "jerky". Still sounds like a decent price if mechanically good.

/ Opinions on this Bobcat 743 - Pics & Video #10  
743 is a great machine, they were a little tough to start cold even when new, they were a little underpowered. Dont worry about stalling when digging they all did this, a good set of teeth on the bucket would help that alot, when they dont spin the tires or stall is the time to worry shows a bad drive system. Needs to be run as close to wide open as you could stand, they are short wheelbase and they ride rough. That machine looks good for it's age and with a backhoe att. would be well worth the money. The hoe att. is not going to be great on that machine but it will beat a shovel. Have him get the temp. gauge working and run it again those machines were bad about running hot and cracking the head.