Opinions PLEASE

/ Opinions PLEASE #1  

g42guy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, '55 Farmall Cub, '57 Ford 640
OK guys, I currently own two 2.5 acre lots. One I live on, one vacant. I have a BX 2200, loader, box blade, and mmm to maintain them.

I have an chance to by a vacant 35 acre lake lot as an investment. It is mostly flat with pasture trees and shoreline. My question is what would be a good choice for a larger tractor?

Here are the rules:
I want to keep the 2200.
The new tractor needs to be on the cheap. Budget of $7000 tops.
Would sure like to have a loader but could use the bx in a pinch.

I have had an 8N in the past and think that or a ford 600 series may be a good choice. Or maybe GRAY??

Need some options.

/ Opinions PLEASE #2  
I had an 8n and really liked it (I have a NH TC35 now). I would suggest looking Grey. The Chinese and Koreans make some really nice tractors but I'm not sure you'll get what you need for $7k.

I don't know that you'll get a sizable tractor for $7K unless it's used. Depends what you're 35 acres looks like/what you do to maintain it.

/ Opinions PLEASE #3  
I was faced with a similiar decision and, at that time, decided to go with the Ford instead of grey market.
But then bought a used Kubota 4wd. It was alot of money but used Fords w/4wd are hard to find around here and are high priced.
Just my 1.5 cents worth.

/ Opinions PLEASE #4  
G42; With your budget guidelines, I think you should be able to get a decent 30-40 horsepower tractor. The Fords are always a nice choice, as well as used Cases, Masseys, and Deeres (although the collectors seem to have driven up the prices locally.) What are you looking to do with the larger tractor on the new piece of property? IMHO, I would rather have a used utility tractor than a gray. ( Just my thoughts.)
Will

/ Opinions PLEASE #5  
I like your idea of a 600 series Ford, they were good tractors and quite a bit more able than the N series. Add a rotary mower and you'll be able to keep the property spruced up.

/ Opinions PLEASE #6  
With mostly flat terrain, a 2wd tractor would be suitable and more apt to be within your budget.

I'm assuming that you will leave the larger tractor on the 35 acres. If this is the case, then you might consider buying a tractor in the 50+ hp range.

Here is why I suggest that...

It has been my experience that you can buy a larger tractor for around the same price and sometimes cheaper than the mid-sized tractors. For example, before I decided that I NEEDED 4wd I was looking at a MF 135 diesel for around 7K and a MF 165 diesel for around 5k, with both of them being in really good shape (that was back in 1997). I'll qualify this statement by saying that I think this trend is more likely to be true in hilly terrain; in mostly flat terrain areas I think that the larger tractors have a greater demand.

Hope this helps,
Kelvin

/ Opinions PLEASE #7  
I think I would look for a used Deere in the 40-50hp.range.It would compliment the BX quite well.Something like a 1020/2020/2040 should be in the $ 7-8000 range with a FEL.You'll never lose much on a used tractor like that.

/ Opinions PLEASE
Thanks guys.
After doing a little research on the web, I think a few good options may be:
Ford 640 or 860
Oliver 55/550
MF 135
It looks like I should be able to pick one of these up in real good shape and still have some cash of attachments.

My budget would really be better (less of a stretch) down around $5000. But I think one of the above would still be well within that.

/ Opinions PLEASE #9  
If you are just looking for a big mowing tractor for 35 acres.. try to find a large old ag tractor.. like a ford 8000... they go in the 4-5K range here.. they just don't hold their value like the compacts do.

At the same time look around for a used mower.. like a 15" batwing, etc.

I had the chance to buy a decent ford 8000 for 4995, plus a 15' mower for 1500$... nearly new.. just needed to buy the 100$ pto shaft, etc.... I passed on it.. but if I would have had 35 ac to mow.. it would have been mine.... heck.. mowing 13 with my NH 1920 is a 4 hour ordeal, running wide open...

Soundguy