Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #1  

EMS503

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 or 61 MF35 Deluxe, 2008 Kubota L3940 GST
Hi all, I have a GC2300 w/ a FEL & 60mmm I believe it is a 2004 model.
I use it primarly for mowing 4 acres, I also do some fel work where the problem is, I also use it to pull and run my 300 gal. sprayer unit for the chicken houses. I have found the tractor over all very good just a little small and under powered in the fel for what I am doing.

I am considering stepping up next year to either a 1533 or 1540 (just for the extra HP) and might have a back hoe and box blade to go with them. I would like some input into these tractors before I put the money down on another tractor and find out it is not what I really need. Once in a blue moon I might have to use it to run my pto generator 25kw if my old MF35 is down I am looking at restoring this tractor, but that is another story.

I read some reviews on the web about the 1533 and got mixed results as to if it is a reliable tractor. Most seem to like it but some state expensive to maintain and mixed operating problems with the 4 wheel drive and the pto .

I will be window shopping shortly and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #2  
What exactly would you like to know?

In the mean time, the repairs I have needed to do on my 1533 "04" at 300hr.

*In the shop 3 times for the FEL dropping on its own (warranty). Bad valve they "finely" found on the fender mounted joystick

*FEL has a "shudder" on the way up, found out there is a service bulletin on this problem (so i would assume a new 1533 wouldn't have this problem), not fixed on my tractor. Back in the warranty time, my dealer said air in the lines because I didn't use the FEl that much, um ok, even if the bulletin was out at the time.

*Engine Cut off solenoid replaced under warranty.

*Just last week... Right side axle to hub seal needed to be replaced, out of warranty.

No problems at all with my 4x4, but I don't use it that much and I only use it when needed.

Now mind you I don't use this 1533 has a "Farm tractor", it's more used as a grass cutter on my 11ac. So any problem I have I am not to happy because I take good care of the unit and I don't run it into the ground like you would think it could handle.

FEL, just an FYI it would have the 1525 unit and 1533 w/1525 has no problem lifting a full bucket of clay.

Do a search on my post here on this forum for jobs I have done (and other post about the tractor), to get more info and look at my sig below for photos.

Would I buy another 1533, nope... I would buy the 1540 just because of the same size tractor but with the extra HP the turbo would give me if I would ever need it.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #3  
I have an '06 1533. If I had it to do over I would've gotten the 1540. It may just be a case of HP envy, as my tractor has done everything I've asked within reason.

Mine is used primarily for mowing 3 acres with a 6' RFM and bushogging 8-10 acres with a 5' bushhog. I've used it for flower beds for the wife, moving dirt and sand around my 38 acres, and have cleared about 5 acres of underbrush after I cut some trees. The FEL has been inexpendable in moving dirt, hauling watermelons out of the garden, raising 6x6 posts and framing them with 2x12s, skinning deer from, ...you get the point. 4x4 has been essential for some tasks and places I've been in, if for nothing else but helping stop a load or pull out of a wet spot.

I have not had any of the hydraulic or solenoid problems mentioned. I don't know if the '06 models were remedied or if I have just been fortunate. I did have some FEL shudder after a 250 hour hydraulic oil change, but after some use and bleeding a little air at the pump it went away.

I've done all preventive maintenance myself and have 305 hrs on it in just a little over 2 years.

I do not do farm work with it and wouldn't recommend it or any other compact for that. I'd go with an ag or utility tractor for that work. Ag and utility tractors have the weight and chassis for heavier work even if similar in horsepower.

You said you have a 25kw generator. Know that the 1533 has 25 pto HP and would probably only run a 12.5kw generator at peak output. Opinions differ, but a good rule of thumb is 1kw=2 pto hp. You'd need a 50 hp pto or close for max output on your 25kw. I think the 1540 has about 30 pto hp.

Good luck in whatever you decide, hope this helps.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540
I guess what I am asking is, are the 1533 still having all the problems I have read about. But from the two posts, Understood the tractors are a couple of years apart, the newer units seem to have the bugs worked out. I am looking for a tractor that will accomandate me in mowing, more stability on angles I do have small hills, lift and power of the FEL (alot of rock hard clay in NC that my GC2300 will not break through) Also a heavier machine, my 2300 will lift the rear end up or lean to the side when I load the FEL with dirt. I know it will pull and operate my sprayer as my 2300 does this with no problem. As for the PTO generator I do not have to max it out. It is only used during power failures to operate the lights and newer low amp. fans. My MF35 runs the generator now but will not max the generator either. I do have another question I see both of you are using Ag tires and state you are mowing lawns do these tires tear up the lawn? My 2300 has turf tires and I do believe this is part of my problems with this tractor. Thank you both for your replies.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #5  
I have loaded R4s on mine. I knew I would be mowing yard with it, and that was the only 1533 or 1540 they had w/FEL at the time, anyway.

Mine is pretty easy on the yard. It will tear up grass on sharp turns or with sudden starts and stops.

I have read of the some of the problems you mentioned, but have had none so far. The machine has been very reliable. I've had 2 issues which I caused. A dead battery resulting from our cat stepping on the flasher button and the flashers running for 12 hours before it was found, and I managed to break a valve stem on a front tire in the woods. I was somewhere I actually had no business being on a tractor. No tire damage, just had to take it to town for a new stem.

The FEL will carry enough dirt to lift the rear end if I don't have an implement on the 3ph. If you are concerned about digging capability in hard soils, a toothbar will help. I have the 66" Heavy Duty bucket with cutting edge, and recommend it over the other bucket option.

If I had it to do over, the only other brand I would look at again is Kubota. I also shopped them when I bought my Massey. Unless Kubota has changed drastically or the money has changed drastically, I'd still have a Massey.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #6  
I have a 2007 1540. We use it for all-around farm duty including loader work and pulling hay implements. It is a comfortable tractor that is well-laid out ergonomically and it is the quietest tractor I've ever operated.

I've had the tractor almost one year and have had no problems whatsoever. Hopefully this will be a legacy tractor that will be around long enough to hand down to the next generation.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #7  
After spending many months reading this site I bought a 1533. It does everything I ask it to do and then some. The only complaint I have is it smokes a little on first start up. I use it to mow about 6 acres, loader work and haul trees that have either fallen down or I have cut down. In 4 wheel drive , low range , I have been able to pull out some trees roots and all. I looked at JD ,Kobota, Hew Holland and Massey. Drove all and liked the Massey the best and also liked the price. Great Tractor

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #8  
The only complaint I have is it smokes a little on first start up.

I didn't have that "problem" (not really a problem to me) at 1st... I think what happen is when the diesel changed over to low sulfur that had something to with it, just a guess on my part.

EMS503... I guess I don't have much more to add. Maybe one more thing. My unit is a Synchroshuttle trans. If I would get another unit, again I would go for the 1540 and get the "Powershuttle" 12x12 and not the hydro. The Hydro takes a few extra HP out of your final PTO Hp. The Powershuttle IMO gives you almost an Auto trans because of the wet clutch, but you keep that much needed HP rating up at the PTO.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540
Thanks for the information, Guess I will look hard at the 1540.
I might take a ride this week to the Massey dealer and start talking to them about $$$.

/ Oppinions on MF 1533 & 1540 #10  
I have a 2007 1540 8x8 w/ 1525 loader.
A 1533 would have worked perfect but I knew that if I didn't get the turbo'd rig it would bug me forever.
Really dumb, because I rarely need much power. I use the tractor as a forklift.
Forks on the front and rear.
However, I do use it to run a bailer for one day each year. Till the garden, etc.
Compare specs carefully before making your purchacing decision.
With Deere and Kubota, you will have to purchace an upgraded loader and PAY EXTRA to get the capacity of the 1525.
Then test drive the ones you are interested in.
I've never driven anything that handles as smooth as the 1540.
And the steering is simply the best that exists.
These models had a few batches early on with an annoying hydraulic problem that Massey has since figured out.
But make sure to start the tractor and LISTEN, LISTEN carefully for any squeeking , squacking, or chattering noises from the hydraulic pump.
Warm the tractor and run the loader up and down. Does it shutter part way with an accompaning bark from the pump? Walk away!
Otherwise, no problems at all.
Very happy with our 1540!