Optima Batteries

/ Optima Batteries #11  
I also bought an optima based on their reputation......... it failed. I replaced it with whatever the in-house brand is at AutoZone and never had a problem for as long as i owned the vehicle.

/ Optima Batteries #12  
I bought a yellow top optima for the dual battery kit in my Ranger. It runs my accessory lighting and spreader for my drive way. I got it because I thought I could put it back there and for get about it. I am a little cocerned now hearing these experiences.

Is there anything for me to look out for that would warn me of an impending failure?

I also have heard excellent things about the Diehard Platinums. That is what iwill be putting in my diesel truck when the OEM batteries crap out.

/ Optima Batteries #13  
I had heard/read about the Optima problems a while back....6ish/7ish years ago when SWMBO's car had developed a bum battery... so I went with a Exide Orbital Select from NAPA for it....been a GREAT Battery... I think I'd go with the same thing or a DieHard for my 3520 if/when the need arises...

/ Optima Batteries #14  
I don't know,maybe I'm the exception here. I've had a red top in my pickup for the last five years,and its still going strong. But then again,I got seven years out of my OEM Delco:)

/ Optima Batteries #15  
I must be the lucky one, I have three of them in my RV and had no issue, they have worked well. No leaks and plent of power to run my RV!!

KC

/ Optima Batteries #16  
If you use a battery frequently such as a daily driver (pickup) almost any decent starting battery will work well. The WalMart batteries seem to last about 6 years and are about $70 today. Where you are likely to have problems is when batteries including deep cycle types either set too long or are discharged below 50%. Optimas' seem to have lots of problems bringing back a charge, whereas the DieHard and Odyssey batteries are more resiliant, they can be discharged to 75% and recover well. In turn this gives them more usable capacity, for the most part I try to not discharge below 50% on any of the deep cycle batteries.

Luck may come into play but if you buy enough batteries you tend to find out which ones will fail and which ones don't.

Last edited:
   / Optima Batteries #17  
Another lucky one here also, have had no problems what-so-ever with my Optima.

/ Optima Batteries #18  
If you use a battery frequently such as a daily driver (pickup) almost any decent starting battery will work well.
I'm sure that is why I have decent luck with battery life. I drive 80 miles a day
5 days a week.

/ Optima Batteries #19  
6 yrs and going strong on my yellow top Optima. Cann't say the same for the JD battery std. equipment with my JD4115. 1st year leaked. The battery was cheap compared to replacing the oil cooler. Good luck.

/ Optima Batteries #20  
I've had a blue top in my Jeep for about the last 7 years or so with no problems. I have the blue top because I have a winch and have done some heavy winching with it. I am replacing it with the same just because it is so old. Overall I am happy with it. Had to replace the POS in the 2305 after only 3 years.