Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price)

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #1  

Duckhunter

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
I just installed an Optima Red Top battery I ordered from Summit Racing (summitracing.com or 1-800-230-3030). They have them on sale for $84.35 + $8.95 for Handling = $92.80 delivered. The sale only goes until 10/31. I ordered Part# ULT-9002-002 which is Group 24. The dual terminal is also available for a little more if you have other vehicles in need of a replacement. The manual calls for a Group 24R which has reversed posts like Ford vehicles. You do not need the reverse post because the battery will flip and work just fine. You will have to ask for the end hold down adapters if available. I have some on order from Optima. Their number is 1-888-867-8462. I had my dealer install a D51 Optima thinking it was the right size based on a previous post I saw here. The D51 is for smaller Boomers that use a Group 65 battery. I had my radiator, hydraulic lines, hood latch, battery cables and more replaced due to corrosion under warranty. This will never happen again with the Optima.
I mainly wanted to post this information due to the recent discussion about this issue and the great deal on the Optima at Summit Racing. Better hurry, 10/31 is the deadline I am told.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just installed an Optima Red Top battery )</font>

Duckhunter,

I ran into this problem 2 years ago, and had not heard of Optima batteries at that time. I got my dealer to spring for a generic maintenance free battery, which probably cost all of $40 and has a 3 year warranty. It was humming fine when I recently sold my tractor. No fumes, no rust, no problems.

My question is, why specifically an Optima? Why not just any sealed battery?

You see, I have a new TC35, and it had 20 minutes on the clock when delivered. If that NH battery fumes, so will I! I'm pretty sure I can get my dealer to buy me another sealed battery, but I <font color="blue"> doubt </font> he will talk Optima with me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #3  
Optima is one manufacturer of a sealed battery. Optima uses a spiral wound lead pack and seems to have had the lead ( lead not lead ) in the sealed battery business. The also claim that the design is better and more efficient blah blah blah.

here's what they say:

Inside this unusual battery is a six-pack of SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY®. Traditional batteries have a stack of thick lead plates surrounded by acid. But OPTIMA® batteries feature two thin lead plates wound into a tight spiral cell, with an absorbent glass-mat in between to hold the electrolyte solution.This unique design allows for more power and increased energy, resulting in quick, reliable starts. OPTIMA batteries are the first and only batteries to feature SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price)
In my opinion they are the best of the best. Go read testimonials on the web site. You can mount them on their side and they will not leak. They use them in off shore racers pounding 8' waves at 80 MPH. I know of one in a Jeep that has probably been there 10 years and only gets run during deer season. My warranty just expired. I am not taking chances on a large repair bill that includes a radiator, oil cooler, hydraulic hoses, and more to save $45. Maintenance Free and leakproof are 2 different things. I am told the gel cell and spiral technology is the key and why they are more expensive. Unless I get a visit from Ed McMahan, this is my last tractor and need to make it last. I wish I had replaced it when mine had no hours on it and I am sure New Holland wishes they would have also based on the number of warranty claims they have had. Mounting a battery in front of a radiator where air flow blows acid leaks and fumes all over the place is another engineering error in my opinion. We all know many aftermarket add ons are better than OEM. The Optima battery is one of them. These batteries are normally $129.69.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #5  
Re: Optima Battery in TC45D Boomer (Good Price)

This summer I ordered the new and biggest Optima Blue top for my camper. The sucker weigh about 65 pounds and packs a wallop. The price was a killer too...$189.00. I used to go through deep cycle RV batteries every year. Knowing how good Optima's are, the camper will probably be shot before the Optima gives out.

One nice thing about Optima batteries, the don't mind cold weather. They don't loose their charge when sitting idle in the cold like flooded cell batteries do.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #6  

Duckhunter,

The usual cause of early battery failure is over discharging. Standard batteriss will soon fail if discharged below 80% too many times. Even "deep cycle" batteries will not withstand a lot of discharge cycles below 70%. There are a few TRUE deep cycle batteries out there, and they will last for many years, even after many discharges below 25%. Golf cart batteries come to mind, but are too big and only 6V.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #7  

Mr. Blue:

I have to get a new battery for my wife's Honda Foreman 400. The old battery finally won't hold a charge. It's a sealed battery. I hate to think what the Yamaha dealer wants for one. I am considering getting a regualr flooded cell battery. Probably 1/3 the cost.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Golf cart batteries come to mind, but are too big and only 6V. )</font>

My last motorhome had a regular 12 volt battery to start the engine, but the 12 volt system for the coach; lights, fans, TVs, etc. was two of those big 6 volt batteries. That's a much better arrangement than having a single 12 volt battery.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's a much better arrangement than having a single 12 volt battery. )</font>

Amen to that Bird!

Too bad 6v golf cart batteries are so big and unweildly. They would probably last at least 6-8 years on a tractor, and even longer on an RV.

With the sensitivity of the TC problem, it's better to give up some battery longevity and reliability for the "leak proof" feature.

I just went out and popped the hood on my TC35 with 8 hours on it. No sign of acid, just a fine coat of dust on the battery. On a whim, I sampled the dust, and it tasted strongly of acid.

Looks like I'll have to get a sealed battery just like I did on my TC29. NH hasn't learned a thing in over 2 years.

/ Optima Battey in TC45D Boomer (Good Price) #10  

Hey 5030, next time think about a D9 battery. They are available for cheap or expensive, in regular, deep cycle, sealed, and sealed gel. What a monster! Guess it has to pack a punch to start a D9 in cold weather! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif