Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting

/ Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting #1  
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Early this spring I fertilized my 10 acre Orchardgrass field and we have just taken 1st cutting. I have read before that grass hay responds well to Nitrogen-only fertilizer after 1st cutting and can really improve yields for 2nd cutting. I have never used a single nutrient fertilizer before. I would be using my 3pt broadcast spreader. I have no idea what would be a good baseline for lbs/ac and also what type of Nitrogen as I believe there are different types (46-0-0, etc). Also, I assume it will broadcast out of the spreader, don't really know what it looks like. Does anybody know a good starting point that would allow my Orchardgrass to get a really nice bump for 2nd cutting? Thanks

/ Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting #2  
I put 150-200 pounds per acre on my wheat in late March early April 46-0 Urea I tried to get it out before rain. If you have a southern states close by you can pick up one of their buggies and it will make the spreading go a lot faster. If you are only hitting it once this year I would guess somewhere between 100-140 an acre per year I think .

/ Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting #3  
I use 46 granulated between every cut and have been for years with the final application mixed with alfalfa and orchard grass seed and then fitted with a drag mat for overwintering. I go a bit lighter, about 50 pounds to the acre. The 46 I use is coated for slower release.

Be apprised though, any N in a spreader will eat it up if it's not cleaned carefully afterwards.

/ Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting #4  
Couple years ago I got a deal on old dated DEF and sprayed that on my hay. Bang, that really made it grow, DEF is Urea and di-ionized water. Smells like cat pee. 15 gallons to 200 gallons of water.

/ Orchardgrass Fertilization After 1st Cutting #5  
Skyline, began with your county agent and have your soil tested for what it really needs for your grass. What is right for one field and crop on it is way different for same crop on another field. I had Bermuda for hay and used about same as 5030 but have your soil tested. I used liquid nitrogen and of course sprayed that. Here it cost less. As he also said you be sure you flood wash the tractor and implement you spread Nitrogen with.