Ordering a new engine through Alibaba

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #1  

matthoffman33

Tractor
Taskmaster 432e
I'm looking at ordering a new engine for my TaskMaster tractor, this one specifically - Brand New 4 Stroke 3 Cylinders Zn390t Changchai 390 Diesel Engine - Buy Zn390t Engine,Changchai Engine,Changchai 390 Diesel Engine Product on Alibaba.com

It's a Changchai ZN390T engine, matches the nameplate on my 2003 tractor. Appears to be identical and for $1500 CAD plus shipping you can hardly go wrong. My question is, does anyone else have experience ordering an engine through Alibaba, any concerns that came up? I'm waiting for a quote on the shipping but what were your approximate shipping costs to N America?

Thanks for the info,

Matt

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #2  
I'm not familiar with Canadian emission standards but I assume they are similar to US.

I'd want to get verification from your customs and environmental regulator that importing this engine won't be denied entry on this technicality.

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba
I'm not familiar with Canadian emission standards but I assume they are similar to US.

I'd want to get verification from your customs and environmental regulator that importing this engine won't be denied entry on this technicality.

Thanks Jaydee,
I'll check it out but, like you said, our standards are very similar to US standards so I'm not too concerned. More curious about shipping to North Dakota or Manitoba and the reliability of Alibaba to come through.

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #4  
I'm going to guess shipping would atleast as much as the engine? I buy bike parts from Aliexpress and they always seem to have someone to chat with in english. Send a few messages and see what they say?
I'd like to see some details specs on the engine interface as well, to make sure it will bolt up before I bought one.

Ya, I've messaged them. Waiting for a response right now. Good thought asking for the specs to make sure the bolt up pattern is the same. I was assuming it would be as the engine model is the same but maybe not.

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #6  
Also I wonder if the buyers at Uncle Weiner's wholesale could order you the engine? They must have multiple containers of chinese stuff coming in everyday, and know how to deal directly with the factories there.

Oh good idea - we got one of those in Winnipeg, I'll give them a call!

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #8  
As Indylan suggests, try to get someone who handles the importation end of things. I once ordered direct from a factory (some collapsible wire crates) and I can say that it isn't something for the squeamish! (trust, shippers, importers etc. - unless one is familiar with the process it can make one age pretty fast)

I'd think that if the tractor was acceptable in 2004 that it shouldn't be any issue with a replacement engine. Hard to imagine that any older machine would be scrutinized for emissions stuff: I don't think there was any that far back. I'd note that discussions on this subject came down to: "Who is going to check emissions? only via/at a dealer would it really be possible (someone coming out to your farm, or whatever, to do an emissions check?)

/ Ordering a new engine through Alibaba #9