Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #11  
If all these people who are in support of Stihl chains and bars are comparing them to the cheap junk you find in TSC or whatever I would agree with their statements. However when you are comparing Oregon's professional line such as those I listed in a previous post it is a different story. I have 3 Stihl saws, 3 Dolmar/Makita saws and 1 Jonsered, the oldest since 1982. I have cut quite a fair amount of wood over the years, average about 15 cord a year. Trust me, the products I listed perform at about 97% of the Stihl stuff at about 60% or less of the cost. I will not be buying anymore Stihl stuff anytime soon.

Go check out some info at arboristsite.com. There are the diehard Stihl guys there too but also lots of pros that make their living with saws that are quite happy with some other products such as Oregon, Carlton, Woodland Pro etc.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #12  
So are you talking about a solid tip bar or one with a roller-tip? Yes, my saw does sling a lot of oil from the chain and I grease the sprocket on the bar end..Maybe it is the chain lube, could that be a big difference in wear on the bars and chains? Opinions? Jy.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #13  
solid nose bars are thought to hold up better in dirty conditions or if one does much plunge cutting they hold up a bit better.You are always better off using a sprocket tipped bar imo. Solid nose holds no advantage in my mind and was only put on chainsaws when there weren't any such thing as a sprocket nosed bar. If you are cutting that much, get a bar you can replace the sprocket on. I used to cut wood for a living and wouldn't be caught dead with a solid nose. If you get one, you aren't going to like it if you have cut wood with a sprocketed bar.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements.
I've never used a solid nose bar before. On Oregon's website the solid nose is rated "best". I thought there may be some sort of advantage using a solid nose bar. It also cost more than the ones with a sprocket. Now I'm confused. I was just looking at my options and a possible upgrade form my current setup. I'm happy with the Stihl bar and RSC chain. Just didn't want to miss out on any performance gain that may be out there. Thanks for all the info. Here's a link on the bars that Oregon offers on the Stihl MS290. OREGONョ Hand Held Chain Saw Replacement Parts The specs on my MS290 is .325 pitch and .063 bar gauge. Note the solid nose bar has a "best" rating. ????

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #15  
The key to the "best" rating is what criteria was utilized. Metal used, lamination amounts, hardness, etc. etc. Also what I think is peculiar is that hardnose bars are often called "professional" bars or "bars for the professional" Well, I've done all kinds of cutting and got paid for it for 30 years so I guess I was a professional and cannot think of a situation where I prefered having a hardnosed bar. It is not like we are cutting cement and I would also assume some professionals like a solid bar, I'm not one of them. I can easily understand how misleading an ad for something like this can be especially when they are prioritizing something like "quality". Get a quality sprocket bar and you'll be a step ahead of the game.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #16  
I have been thinking about trying an Oregon solid nose 20in bar OREGON brand Laser-Tip Plus Solid-Nose guide bars for chainsaws with an Oregon brand Super 20 chain on my MS 290. Does anyone run this setup? I'm currently running a 20in Stihl bar with a RSC (full chisel) chain. Will I gain any performance with the Oregon? Thanks in advance for any input.

On a 290 I think you have to much bar now! I like the way they run with a 16"! To put a solid nose on will mean more horsepower loss. We have sold both chains, people ask for Stihl chain, Oregon, oh well?

The Stihl lasts longer and stays sharp longer by about 30% at a minimum so the price difference for aggrivation takes a hit. There will always be someone that is happy with Oregon.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #17  
If you ask stihl they say they make there own chain. If you ask oregon they will say for all practical purposes stihl makes there own chain. The blue colored cutter is an oregon patent (my understanding). Windsor is owned by oregon I don't know about carlton. If you read the description for oregon and stihl chains they have the same description word for word.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #18  
Since Randyt mentioned a blue color cutter I'll ask here -
has ANYONE seen any provider of colored tie straps? Something so when I make my chain then go to sharpen it I've an easy reference mark where I started sharpening.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #19  
Newbury, use a crayon, I use logging crayons but have used regular before. To make it stick better I rub the chain{one tooth} while it is still hot. If the chain has allready cooled down then I just hit one tooth with my lighter then rub the crayon over that tooth. Easy to see does not harm anything and melts of in the 1st few cuts.

/ Oregon bars and chains vs Stihl replacements. #20  
Since Randyt mentioned a blue color cutter I'll ask here -
has ANYONE seen any provider of colored tie straps? Something so when I make my chain then go to sharpen it I've an easy reference mark where I started sharpening.

I just use a sharpie and color the tooth.

Some saws, depending on length, have two cutters in a row on the same side. I use that as a reference as well.

But I do know that some manufactures us ONE colored tie strap on the chain. I have one on my 116 dolmar that is a bright yellow. But I don't know what brand the chain is and I am not homw now to look.