Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #291  
Japanese are very disciplined, pay attention to quality at the detail level and as a result deliver the most consistent products. Americans, I think we get bored once we master a product and then look on to the next major improvement rather than tweaking an existing product towards perfection. I regularly deal with Japanese engineers and mechanics in the Aerospace business and I can vouch for that mentality.
Germans and Swiss (and others) are all of that same mind-set...not so sure they are capable of creating new ideas but you can be sure that whatever they touch will ultimately be built well. I lived over there for a few years and I could see the attention towards perfection BUT don't throw anything unexpected at them...they are used to processing problems in an orderly manner. In the whole vast configuration of things I guess they compliment our way of doing things and we compliment theirs.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #292  
Germans and Swiss (and others) are all of that same mind-set...not so sure they are capable of creating new ideas but you can be sure that whatever they touch will ultimately be built well. I lived over there for a few years and I could see the attention towards perfection BUT don't throw anything unexpected at them...they are used to processing problems in an orderly manner. In the whole vast configuration of things I guess they compliment our way of doing things and we compliment theirs.
Very true!

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

Very true!

The Germans may be slipping.

German Engineering Yields New Warship That Isn稚 Fit for Sea - WSJ

>>>>>BERLIN宥ermany痴 naval brass in 2005 dreamed up a warship that could ferry marines into combat anywhere in the world, go up against enemy ships and stay away from home ports for two years with a crew half the size of its predecessor痴.

First delivered for sea trials in 2016 after a series of delays, the 7,000-ton Baden-W?ttemberg frigate was determined last month to have an unexpected design flaw: It doesn稚 really work.

Defense experts cite the warshipç—´ buggy software and ill-considered arsenalé*�s well as what was until recently its noticeable list to starboardé*�s symptoms of deeper, more intractable problems: Shrinking military expertise and growing confusion among German leaders about what the countryç—´ armed forces are for.

A litany of bungled infrastructure projects has tarred Germanyç—´ reputation for engineering prowess. There is still no opening date for Berlinç—´ new ?6 billion ($7.2 billion) airport, which is already 10 years behind schedule, and the redesign of Stuttgartç—´ railway station remains stalled more than a decade after work on the project started. Observers have blamed these mishaps on poor planning and project management, which also figured in major setbacks for several big military projects.<<<<<<

Germany may be suffering from something....hummmm :rolleyes:

TBS

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #294  

One of my contemporaries there liked to to use the word Cowboys often when speaking about American Engineers... it was funny to hear... had to remind him cowboys made it to the moon...

They really were a great bunch of guys but order was paramount....

Had a friend that working for VW and later Porsche factory... he was adamant German cars would NEVER have cup holders... even when I did my Euro Delivery BMW in 2002 the guys were surprised my car had cup holders... they had never seen it before in a BMW

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #295  
The Germans may be slipping.

German Engineering Yields New Warship That Isn稚 Fit for Sea - WSJ

>>>>>BERLIN宥ermany痴 naval brass in 2005 dreamed up a warship that could ferry marines into combat anywhere in the world, go up against enemy ships and stay away from home ports for two years with a crew half the size of its predecessor痴.

First delivered for sea trials in 2016 after a series of delays, the 7,000-ton Baden-W?ttemberg frigate was determined last month to have an unexpected design flaw: It doesn稚 really work.

Defense experts cite the warshipç—´ buggy software and ill-considered arsenalé*�s well as what was until recently its noticeable list to starboardé*�s symptoms of deeper, more intractable problems: Shrinking military expertise and growing confusion among German leaders about what the countryç—´ armed forces are for.

A litany of bungled infrastructure projects has tarred Germanyç—´ reputation for engineering prowess. There is still no opening date for Berlinç—´ new ?6 billion ($7.2 billion) airport, which is already 10 years behind schedule, and the redesign of Stuttgartç—´ railway station remains stalled more than a decade after work on the project started. Observers have blamed these mishaps on poor planning and project management, which also figured in major setbacks for several big military projects.<<<<<<

Germany may be suffering from something....hummmm :rolleyes:

TBS

You will hear this from Germans themselves... that is they are slipping and much of the manufacturing work force is no longer German... huge influx from other countries.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas
You will hear this from Germans themselves... that is they are slipping and much of the manufacturing work force is no longer German... huge influx from other countries.

I thought that may be the problem.

TBS

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #297  
Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner

""You will hear this from Germans themselves... that is they are slipping and much of the manufacturing work force is no longer German... huge influx from other countries.""

I thought that may be the problem.TBS

I'm guessing that is a problem only if the huge influx of workers are people who don't aspire to work and think like Germans - which means they don't really admire the German way of life at all.

Sometimes it is really difficult to tell if people are running from something or toward something.
In fact, there are times when I have trouble figuring that out in myself.
rScotty