Oregon tractor wreck with injury

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #2  
tragic to be sure...
pic's show 2 lanes each way plus a wide paved shoulder.
where was the tractor that traffic needed to swerve around him ???

Pete

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #4  
One of the pictures shows the skidmarks from the car. It appears that the tractor was at least halfway into the right travel lane.

Attachments

• SUV+and+tractor+crash+(4).jpg
    SUV+and+tractor+crash+(4).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 309
   / Oregon tractor wreck with injury #5  
After looking at the pictures, I have the same questions.
Im guessing that the tractor was either right on the solid line or just into the right hand lane and the two vehicle were in the right lane. Car in front obscures tractor for the second driver. We can surmise possibly could have avoided the accident if the car in front could have changed lanes earlier, the second car not follow so close, tractor off the road more do know.

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #6  
Key Word " 2nd Car not Following to Close " . Pinheads in that area don't know what that means . Does not matter if tractor was on shoulder , halfway on shoulder , or in right lane , NO excuse for rear ending a slower moving vehicle , especially on a 4 lane road !! Check the driver of the car phone records , maybe find out was on phone or texting . Hands free device for phone is required here in Oregon and NO Texting . Either way , Driver of car was not observing safe driving habits .

Fred H.

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #7  
Inattentive or unsafe following distance. There can be anything from a deer to a tractor to debris or a car with a flat tire anywhere on any road in any weather. Unless it enters your path in an unusual fashion there is no excuse to hit it.

I've driven that road. One time when traffic was pretty heavy coming out of Portland I looked ahead and saw an old pickup truck sailing sideways through the air into the eastbound lanes.

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #8  
I just wonder what contributing factors there may have been. The news said that the SUV was second behind the tractor, would like to know what type of vehicle was in front of the SUV. If it were a large box type truck as an example, the SUV operators view would have been obstructed never saw why the vehicle in front moved suddenly and never saw the tractor until to late. Can't stress enough to my children they need to stay several car lengths behind any vehicle in front of them especially something like a tuck where view is obstructed the further back the better visibility in front.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Oregon tractor wreck with injury #9  
It appears to have happened just ouside of Sandy Oregon
A mix of Urban/Rural in the suburbs of a large city.

That looks like a pretty narrow tractor (except for the bucket), and a wide shoulder.

He should have been 100% on the shoulder of the road, giving vehicles enough space that they could just scoot over in one lane to pass without necessarily changing lanes. There are reflectors, but I don't even see any mailboxes anywhere close to the accident.

4:00 PM is a bit into rush hour traffic, but visibility should have been good, assuming it wasn't pouring down rain. I think I'd try to pick a time closer to noon if possible.

Yes, following distance and "look ahead" driving is very important. One should be able to watch for brake lights and traffic changes 1/4 mile ahead. There is no excuse for not seeing a bright red/orange tractor on the road.