Organic weed control.

/ Organic weed control. #11  
I have used ammonia and salt. One cup of salt in a gal of ammonia mix well and spray on weeds then it is very hot and no chance of rain. Also the ammonia works for tent caterpillars.... just leave put the salt.

/ Organic weed control. #12  
IMO there is no effective organic herbicide. If there was, Tru-Green would be selling the sheet out of it. Round-Up .pre-emergent weed killer, and hand pulling work best for me.

-Mike-

/ Organic weed control. #13  
If it's organic one of these will work quite well.

GooseNeck.jpg
:thumbsup:

/ Organic weed control. #14  
Ditto that's what I use plus tiller ... don't like the idea of any kind of chemicals on the garden.

/ Organic weed control. #15  
If it's organic one of these will work quite well.

GooseNeck.jpg
:thumbsup:

Egon, I use one of those for a lot of "organic" weed control and I also like my 4-tine fork. My absolute favorite if I have enough room between rows for weed control is in the attachment. However, I find the best weed control is when my plants cover the ground. So many people say that using newspaper is good for weed control, but I don't do that because I flood water between rows. The absolute best weed control I've ever used was a thick bed of cedar mulch. It just requires that I get off my behind and run the cedar through my chipper/shredder.:eek:

Attachments

• BolensTiller.jpg
    BolensTiller.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 46
   / Organic weed control.
I am not sure of the variety of grass, this is a new garden that had been tilled last fall. No manure,mulch or compost added.

Here is a picture of the grass.

Attachments

• P1020193RS.jpg
    P1020193RS.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P1020194RS.jpg
    P1020194RS.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020195RS.jpg
    P1020195RS.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020196RS.jpg
    P1020196RS.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 50
   / Organic weed control. #17  
I am not sure of the variety of grass, this is a new garden that had been tilled last fall. No manure,mulch or compost added.

Here is a picture of the grass.

Looks like a crab grass type. Good news is that it is fairly easy to pull up. Don't leave just lying there. Read somewhere that crabgrass has something like a 400 year seed life. How do "they" come up with this determination? These seeds were in your soil. They need soil temps of 70 degrees to sprout. Looks like the warm weather at the end of May was to their liking.

Actually, if you hand weed/hoe, they aren't nearly as likely to be back next year. Confirms my suspicion that it was a new plot. It is always rough the first year.

/ Organic weed control.
Looks like a crab grass type. Good news is that it is fairly easy to pull up. Don't leave just lying there. Read somewhere that crabgrass has something like a 400 year seed life. How do "they" come up with this determination? These seeds were in your soil. They need soil temps of 70 degrees to sprout. Looks like the warm weather at the end of May was to their liking.

Actually, if you hand weed/hoe, they aren't nearly as likely to be back next year. Confirms my suspicion that it was a new plot. It is always rough the first year.

Thanks for the help. This grass has been showing up since early April so I am not sure if it goes along with the 70 degree soil temp though.

I guess I will just keep hoeing and tilling. Should have figured there wouldn't be an easy way to do it while keeping it organic.

/ Organic weed control. #19  
Thanks for the help. This grass has been showing up since early April so I am not sure if it goes along with the 70 degree soil temp though.

I guess I will just keep hoeing and tilling. Should have figured there wouldn't be an easy way to do it while keeping it organic.

Herbicides and gardening is a poor mix in the best of cases, even on a chemical farm. Yup, tilling and hoeing. Next year? Way better! Promise.

/ Organic weed control.
Herbicides and gardening is a poor mix in the best of cases, even on a chemical farm. Yup, tilling and hoeing. Next year? Way better! Promise.

LOL Thanks.

My biggest problem is I went from a 25' x 25' garden last year to that and a 42' x 70' this year. :eek: