Other 50 hour maintance

/ Other 50 hour maintance #1  

DML

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT180/56 FORD
Along with all the other scheduled maintance, I did the greasing under the center plate. Once I removed the plate, I found that there was no grease fitting there. I went to the hardware store and got one, and when I was done, found out why there was no fitting. It's because the plate won't fit on with it. I drilled a hole in the plate to accomidate the fitting. Did I faux pas? Should I have just removed the fitting and stowed it away until the next 50? I don't see that the plate is protecting any hardware or anything. Dust and grass get in there from underneath. None of the other grease fittings are protected in any way.

/ Other 50 hour maintance #2  
I believe I have read other post that this is a common issue. Some leave plates off others modify the plate to fit over the fitting. I know of not major problem leaving plates off. Regulat cleaning of unit is the best practice any way. Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Other 50 hour maintance #3  
I just install a fitting, then remove it when I am done.

/ Other 50 hour maintance #4  
Install and remove is also what I do....but I do grease it more often than 50 hours{ actually I grease the mower deck before each use(was told to do this years ago by a golf course groundskeeper) and most of the other zerks to the point that there is resistence when pumping the gun just to be sure they are full}....and when I'm done I place a nice size drop of grease over the top of the hole to prevent any dirt from getting in. It kinda seals the hole once the plate is reinstalled....and I'm using "high speed" grease on the mower deck vs the normal grease I use that I use on my cars.

/ Other 50 hour maintance #5  
You did good. Some of us drill a hole. Some of us notch the plate. Some of us just slide the plate back further since the mounting holes are slotted. And some of us remove the fitting each time. It is your machine, do what you want to it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Other 50 hour maintance #6  
I also do as you mention. I grease every 8 hours of operation which includes all zerks on the tractor including the one under the center plate. It's easier to do all than try and remember this one every 50 hours.
I hit the lift arms every couple of hours and the mower spindles each time I mow.
PJ

/ Other 50 hour maintance #7  
I do the 8 hr maintenance every 5 hrs, when I can. So far, it has worked out that I have not been in the middle of a big job, and the 5 hr routine has worked. It only takes a few minutes to do, and grease & oil are much cheaper than replacing parts. I have 35 hrs on my PT425 at this point and will be changing to Castrol Syntec 5w50 oil for the engine when I get to 40 - 50 hrs. Also will change to Super Tech Brand Synthetic Blend 10w40 motor oil (available at WalMart for $1.63/qt) for hydraulic oil change at 100 hrs. I figure I can afford $1.63/qt much better, as compared to $5 - $6/qt for 100% Synthetic oil. For 40 qts. that figures out to about $65 for synthetic blend as compared to $200 - $240 for 100% synthetic.

/ Other 50 hour maintance #8  
<font color="red"> ( I have 35 hrs on my PT425 at this point and will be changing to Castrol Syntec 5w50 oil for the engine when I get to 40 - 50 hrs.) </font>

Is 5W50 an approved weight for your engine? General consensus among lawn and garden pros who depend on small air cooled engines for their livelihood seems to be 10W30 and nothing higher.

/ Other 50 hour maintance #9  
The Robin manual for my PT422 shows a chart...10-30 to ambient temps of no higher than 86F and 10-40 to over 100F...both were rated to below zero(I won't be running my PT when it's that cold /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).....I was thinking about the 10-40 but that seems a bit heavy for that small of an engine?

/ Other 50 hour maintance #10  
Kohler doesn't recommend over 10W30. I switched to a synthetic Havoline 10W30.

I would think that the higher weight oils would inhibit heat transfer, which is a big issue with these little engines. There are a lot of posts on the Kohler sections of the lawn and garden sites about this issue. While there is a little dissent, there seems to be a strong consensus not to run 10W40 or higher.