OTR Trucks

/ OTR Trucks #21  
Couple more.......

Oh Ya! That always was a nice looking truck.

I think I like that series of KW much the way I like Chance-Vought F4U Corsairs. Watching the TV shows as a kid(Movin' On, and Baa Baa Blacksheep). And, they were both great examples of their type. That KW was an excellent truck at the time(still is), and the Corsair was one of the best fighters of WWII and Korea.

/ OTR Trucks #23  
Ah yes, the transition from cabovers to conventionals in the United States...
Some of the changeover was due to status sysbol of driving a conventional. That spawned rumors that cabovers were dangerous because your the first thing that hits after the windshield in a crash. The availability to see much better from a cabover with their huge windsheilds and panaramic view would give you a better chance of avoiding the accident in the first place. However, anything to get the companies to buy the "elite conventionals" was often pushed by the drivers.
I have driven both, and the ride of a vehicle is mostly determined by the distance between the front axle and the front tandom axle of the drivers, and just where you place the operator in that equation. Put him halfway between the two and you have the best ride available, which is why conventionals are so sought after. However, along the same times as conventionals started getting the thumbs up for riding better, also came the implementation of other important aspects, such as air ride seatsm air ride suspensions and air ride cabs. Depending on the manufacturer of the truck and the degree that the buyer was willing to spend his hard earned money had a lot to do with the ride of the truck. An early model truck conventional would be hard pressed to keep up the the technology of the last cabovers built here. For people who are driving them regularly over long periods of time, a cabover has definite advantages, as they are larger, much more room and storage. However, (and even this changed late in the cabovers) was the fact that you had to climb out of your chair onto a flat area (known as the dog box) in order to get to your bed. You literally sat in a hole between the engine and the door and if you wanted to go to bed, you stood up, stepped on your seat and walked to the bed. With a conventional, you just turned in your seat and in the early days, crawled thru a hole to get to your bed. Then they emplemented the one piece cab, which lead to opening up the cab to the bunk instead of having to crawl back thru a hole.(originally a rear window opening)
Basically, the whole effect of the loss of the cabovers, was due to drivers wanting more and more comfort and style. Companies driving cabover fleets had more and more trouble getting drivers and during a driver shortage, they were in trouble. (Ask JB Hunt why they changed) They either had to hire trainees and expect to loose them as soon as they had enough experience to go to work for somebody else, pay a lot more money than anyone else was willing to pay to drive their cabovers, or as cabovers became worn out, replace them with conventionals. (From a company standpoint, a cabover is a much better deal but it doesn't attract drivers, which is what it takes to make the wheels roll)
David from jax
Been trucking since 03/80

/ OTR Trucks #24  
Alrighty then- a moderator removed my question asking what "Class of 75" meant on the side of a truck, or "Class of 84" or substitute whatever year you want...just don't use the year right after 1968 or before 1970 as I did....:D I meant no offense in the original question, just a random year.
Really I see this all the time on the side of trucks and am curious as to its meaning, the year they graduated high school? Or truck driving school or what? And why is it on their truck?

/ OTR Trucks #25  
When I see Class of 2001 on the side of a truck I presume it is a 2001 model year truck. If I saw Class of 1955 on a late model looking truck I would be wondering what it meant too.

/ OTR Trucks #26  
"Class of 80", or any other year is just a simple play on words to say that particular truck was classy, and manufactured in the year stated.

/ OTR Trucks #27  
Odd. But thanks for the reply, I've been wondering...:)

/ OTR Trucks #28  
I do some work in the middle east. Cab overs are pretty much the rule for new equipment with length the main reason there also. There are conventionals and most seem to be from the states pulling oil equipment.

Last summer we delivered two USA sourced conventional Volvo's with large sleeper cabs which were lengthened to hold 70KW gensets behind the sleeper. These to pull our custom 53' medical trailers that I support. The locals were amazed by how much space the 'prime movers' take up. The rotarys (or round abouts) are pretty challenging for my TT units.

The first thing I noticed after arriving was that most of the rigs are cab overs (volvo, MANN, MB very popular) some have sleepers. Only there have I have seen some of the most nasty demolished unsurvivable cabovers on the side of the road.

Most of the rigs run much larger tires and the 5th wheel and trailer platform sits much much higher.

/ OTR Trucks #29  
Dad drove for one company for 33 years. His first truck was a '55 White WC22PLT. Second truck was a '59 White 4400TD (which I now own). The last COE the company bought was Dad's '80 Freightliner. Dad liked the COE's because they were easy to handle in tight areas. I took my test for my commercial license in the new, green '74 White Freightliner.

Attachments

• WA22 White Mustang with Trailmobile trailer.JPG
    WA22 White Mustang with Trailmobile trailer.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 1980 Freightliner #5.JPG
    1980 Freightliner #5.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 862
  • Mean Green, 1974 White Freightliner.JPG
    Mean Green, 1974 White Freightliner.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 839
   / OTR Trucks #30  
The "Class of ..." related to Peterbilt's "Class" advertisements from the 1960s or 70s trucking magazines, like Owner/Operator. I don't recall seeing it on any other makes on the road, although I have seen some pictures of a 'Class of '51' Pete on the internet.