Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices.........

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #41  
jimg said:
>>Due to the weather, I finally got 5 buggies of fertilizer spread yesterday.
Im surprised since you all have had significant rain just like down here in TN. My fields have been way too wet to have machinery running over them. Guess you must have good drainage there!

YOu all sure have taken good care of the 7610...looks practically new!

>>Ok, no problem, I'm not going to spread until second week of March but can
>>I pay for it now and come back and pick it up in a couple of weeks. For
>>some reason that idea didn't fly with them.
Odd...I thought that was SOP for large co-ops. The one where I trade doesnt have a prob w/ the pre-pay, pick up later concept.

I found it strange too that they wouldn't let me prepay. I just chalked it up to me not being regular or moving enough money through them. I just started using them this year since this year was the first year we have really start doing stuff with the pastures. Last year the horses were moved in late Spring and there was PLENTY of grass for them until fall. That's the only thing I can think of. Even with the urbanization of northern Virginia there are still plenty of large farming operations so I can imagine that this "rule" applies to everyone. I know they wanted to spread it themselves and I told them that I would apply it myself but what difference should that make . . . nor should it make a difference if I bought 950lbs vs. 5 cart loads.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #42  
It sounds like to me that several of you fellas should find another supplier for fertilizer. Talk about "ouch", I'm spreading about $21,000 worth of fertilizer, but anybody only buying $500 worth gets the same deal. As mentioned before, when you prepay, the supplier contracts his price with his supplier as well, so it's not like they are out any additional money because you prepay. We're all gonna have to get creative in the coming years.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #43  
Kessler Farms said:
It sounds like to me that several of you fellas should find another supplier for fertilizer. Talk about "ouch", I'm spreading about $21,000 worth of fertilizer, but anybody only buying $500 worth gets the same deal. As mentioned before, when you prepay, the supplier contracts his price with his supplier as well, so it's not like they are out any additional money because you prepay. We're all gonna have to get creative in the coming years.

Speaking of getting creative, ever use any poultry litter? How bout other alternative sources? Fertilizer shouldn't be a problem for me from next year on. I should have 500 tons of poultry litter to use or trade/sell.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #44  
jwcinpk said:
Speaking of getting creative, ever use any poultry litter? How bout other alternative sources? Fertilizer shouldn't be a problem for me from next year on. I should have 500 tons of poultry litter to use or trade/sell.

I keep hearing about poultry litter. How does that compare to general manure . . . and how does cow and or/horse manure help or harm your pastures to begin with? All this as it relates to fertilizer of course . . .

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #45  
I does very well as a fertiler and the bedding material in the mix helps to build the humus matter in the soil. It does have a pretty strong smell when it is first put down, but that fades pretty quick(it smells like money:D ). The only downside I really know of is that you will gain weeds you may not have seen before. If your have a regular spraying program that will take care of that though. It can be tested before application to give you a reference for application.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #46  
chh said:
I does very well as a fertiler and the bedding material in the mix helps to build the humus matter in the soil. It does have a pretty strong smell when it is first put down, but that fades pretty quick(it smells like money:D ). The only downside I really know of is that you will gain weeds you may not have seen before. If your have a regular spraying program that will take care of that though. It can be tested before application to give you a reference for application.

That's good info, thanks. I guess I should start looking into what I need to do with my ever growing manure pile. The "stuff" in the field gets harrowed and broken up/recycled back into the soil. But the stuff that comes out of the stalls and some of the small paddocks that we physically pick up is piling up quickly . . .and that is only with two horses on the property currently. When we get to full capacity (6-10) I need have a plan. I am wondering if I can get a spreader and spread it after I turn the pile a few time throughout the year.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #47  
A manure spreader works good for that. You really don't have to pile it and compost it, but I suppose that it would be better. I sold one a few years ago and that is what the lady was going to do with it. She bred racehorse and cleaned the stable directly into the spreader. She had a place to park it where it wouldn't get rained on and spread it an a pasture when it got full. I really don't think that would be good on the metal to do it that way, but that is the way she does it.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #48  
mark.r said:
I found it strange too that they wouldn't let me prepay. I just chalked it up to me not being regular or moving enough money through them. I just started using them this year since this year was the first year we have really start doing stuff with the pastures. Last year the horses were moved in late Spring and there was PLENTY of grass for them until fall. That's the only thing I can think of. Even with the urbanization of northern Virginia there are still plenty of large farming operations so I can imagine that this "rule" applies to everyone. I know they wanted to spread it themselves and I told them that I would apply it myself but what difference should that make . . . nor should it make a difference if I bought 950lbs vs. 5 cart loads.

Were you buying in bags or bulk? If the former then maybe thats the reason?
Just a guess.... I would ask more questions myself about terms/conditions. If they dont want you as a customer then it sounds like there are other places to do business w/.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #49  
chh said:
A manure spreader works good for that. You really don't have to pile it and compost it, but I suppose that it would be better. I sold one a few years ago and that is what the lady was going to do with it. She bred racehorse and cleaned the stable directly into the spreader. She had a place to park it where it wouldn't get rained on and spread it an a pasture when it got full. I really don't think that would be good on the metal to do it that way, but that is the way she does it.

chh, thanks for the info. I guess in the market for a nice used spreader in the next year or so. I don't need a real big one, maybe one of the smaller Pequea type ones, perhaps even wheel drive so I can pull it behind the truck or utilty vehicle. But since I'm buying used I guess I go for whatever comes up. It is amazing how fast the "stuff" piles up. I have a very nice pile now that a lady wants a truck of.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #50  
jimg said:
Were you buying in bags or bulk? If the former then maybe thats the reason?
Just a guess.... I would ask more questions myself about terms/conditions. If they dont want you as a customer then it sounds like there are other places to do business w/.

I bought bulk, they mixed it on it site, and loaded directly into my truck.

Fert_resized.JPG

I NEED to look into another option next for no other reason than to have a second option even if I go back to them. It's just like have more than one grocery store in my opinion. But like I said before, this is our first year and for the most part new to us so we live and learn as we go along. Why do you think I ask you guys so many questions!!!;) :) I'll have to talk to the guys up Maryland at the New Holland dealership. They have always been good to us when we had out little Ford compact and I know they know where to buy up there. It's about the same distance travel wise for me.