Our MF150 Diesel Pics

/ Our MF150 Diesel Pics #1  

MasseyLady

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas
Hello,

I posted in another thread of my hubby and I being possible new MF150 Diesel owners. Well that reality came to be this past Saturday. She is a well used gal with a FEL and about 5300 hours. It has some break and possible clutch issues, and good advice has been given here to us by members on what we can do to correct it. This is our first MF tractor, we are familiar with Famall's, Ford 8 and 9N's due to family that used to farm. We had read many threads here on what to look for before purchasing and followed those steps when we looked at this tractor. But being newbies, we missed some things and know that further repair will be in order. But we got the tractor for a good price which hopefully makes us feel better about what we overlooked....I hope....:ashamed:

One of the things we overlooked was one of the rims and I have posted pictures of the issue. We can't believe we missed it, we knew to look for it too, but we were so concerned about checking the engine, leaks, pto, hydralics, etc. that we passed right over it, it is obvious. There is rust around the valve stem on the left rear and the tire has a bulge on the inside, rubber is split, pics below. We also wonder too if we have two different spin out rims and I posted pictures of those. We know all new skins all the way around could run about a grand, but thought maybe some good used ones could be found, or are we asking for a problem there too? Need advice on replacing the one rim, best places to find them etc.

Thank-you in advance, I'm sure hubby and I will have further questions and needed advice as we dig even deeper into the tractor for any needed repairs.

First Pic is the tractor
Second pic is the bad rim
Third pic is the bulge on the rear inside tire
Fourth pic is the spin out rim of the perpendicular "stop bolts?" This one has five adjustment holes for the stops and is also the rim that is bad.
Fifth pic is on the spin out rim of the angled "stop bolts." This one has only four adjustment holes for the stops

Is there any advantage of one type of spin out rim over another? Forgive our terminology, newbies and still learning and very willing to learn from those that have been at this a lot longer than we have......thanks a bunch! :)

Attachments

• MF 150 A.png
    MF 150 A.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 175
  • MF150 Tractor 009 #1.png
    MF150 Tractor 009 #1.png
    591.6 KB · Views: 179
  • MF150 Tractor 011#3.png
    MF150 Tractor 011#3.png
    666.8 KB · Views: 176
  • MF150 Tractor 013#4.png
    MF150 Tractor 013#4.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 169
  • MF150 Tractor 012#5.png
    MF150 Tractor 012#5.png
    328 KB · Views: 152
   / Our MF150 Diesel Pics #2  
I had rusted rim issues on my MF 50. These rims can be easily repaired by cutting out the rotten area and welding in new material (steel). Any farm welding shop should be able to do this for a fraction of the new cost.

Have the tires removed and bring just the rims to the welder.

Go to your local farm tire dealer and tell him you want a set of tires. Unless you are a power user a used set of decent 50% treaded tires should work for a long time. Tire dealers have networks they can look for tires thru.

Here is a pic on part of my repair. Still rolling.

frank

Attachments

• DSCN0955.JPG
    DSCN0955.JPG
    591.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0957.JPG
    DSCN0957.JPG
    758.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0958.JPG
    DSCN0958.JPG
    666 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN0959.JPG
    DSCN0959.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 163
   / Our MF150 Diesel Pics
Thanks Frank, that is a pretty neat fix, hum....the gold color, has the repair been braised also? Did you use a grinder, saw or acetylene torch to cut out the rotten area?

/ Our MF150 Diesel Pics #4  
Spinout rims can have straight or angle drilled holes and each use it's own stop block style, my guess is one rim has already been replaced since they don't match. Some Ford, AC, and IH models used spinout rims too, and Steiners in Michigan has new ones available. They can be repaired sometimes too.

/ Our MF150 Diesel Pics #5  
if its not leaking dont worry about it yet .... may go many more years before it leaks. Use your tractor to get a idea about its condition then make the needed repairs. With the loader you do need loaded tires

/ Our MF150 Diesel Pics
Thanks Bucktaker and Dieseltech. We agree that the one rim has already been replaced due to being different and it's in better condition.

Do they not use something different than calcium in the tires these days so there is not the risk of a corrosion problem on the rims if there happens to be a leak? We have even heard of windshield wiper fluid being used as a fill. But to continue to use the tractor with the tire tube bulge is a concern. We knew these are probably the original tires, and would be looking out for some good used ones when we first looked at the the tractor but totally missed the bulge.

Last edited:
   / Our MF150 Diesel Pics #7  
Thanks Frank, that is a pretty neat fix, hum....the gold color, has the repair been braised also? Did you use a grinder, saw or acetylene torch to cut out the rotten area?

The gold color is a trick of the flash. All welded. No brass tho it would probably work too. I cut out the rust/rot with a oa torch. Zip wheel would work too.

/ Our MF150 Diesel Pics
Thanks Frankroberts. I wondered if it was the flash too.....lol. Repair would be cheaper that is for sure, and hubby has some welding experience....thanks.