Our new Project

/ Our new Project #1  

twinjayhawks

Silver Member
Tractor
Century 3045
I am in the process of designing a new horse barn/shop. Right now I have it designed to be 35'x90'. There will be 6 horse stalls in one half and a 35'x40' shop on the other. Plenty of room for the animals and the farm equipment.

I will build the entire project by myself and I am trying to get a good estimate. I have figured that I will need about 65 yds of concrete for the floor (6" thick slab and a small turn down at the edges to support the outer walls. This will be a pole barn so I wont need any footings. My question to start... does anyone have any idea what the cost comparison is between having the concrete delivered and getting the ingredients (Cement, Gravel and Sand) delivered and mixing it myself?

I will post my plans when I have them done.

Here are a couple pictures of our property prior to the new construction project.

Attachments

• Pond.jpg
    Pond.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Morning.jpg
    Morning.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 152
   / Our new Project #2  
nice property and nice picture looks like a postcard:thumbsup:

/ Our new Project #3  
Sixty-five yards is what, 5-6 mixer loads? Who wants to mix that - (with any consistancy) and try to pour it? That's a lot of work! Have it delivered by the truck and poured right where you want it. They can mix it however you want it. Price may depend on how far you are from the plant.
On a side note, our Jayhawks took it on the chin the other night, huh? Not a good night for the Morris twins.

/ Our new Project
Sixty-five yards is what, 5-6 mixer loads? Who wants to mix that - (with any consistancy) and try to pour it? That's a lot of work! Have it delivered by the truck and poured right where you want it. They can mix it however you want it. Price may depend on how far you are from the plant.

I was just looking for some pricing to see if I wanted to even go this direction. If I mixed it myself I would only do about a 12x12 area each day and then connect each pour with rebar. If I had the concrete delivered I would probably hire someone to finish it for me.

On a side note, our Jayhawks took it on the chin the other night, huh? Not a good night for the Morris twins.

Yes, more than just a chin shot Monday night. That was a test of manhood and we did not pass. I hope they can turn it around as March is quickly approaching.

/ Our new Project #5  
If you mix it yourself, are you buying bulk pallets of cement sacks? Thats about 325 sacks (5 sack mix) of cement plus what it will cost you for sand gravel mix delivered. or if you go the premix according to Quikcrete's online calculator for 3150 s.f. @ 6" that's about 3,497 60# or 2,615 80# sacks if I did the math right. You can shop home depot/walmart for some pricing. Seems to be a lot of mixing, toting etc. How young is your back and do you have lots of friends. I did 119 yds in 3 pours for patio, walkways and driveway, but I hired a guy to help set forms and rebar/wire mesh, then hired out the placing and finishing with a boom pumper. Even 12x12 is about 160 or 120 sacks. Just recently at our church camp about 10 of us went through 220 sacks with 2 mixers in 5 hrs. But we were only doing footings for posts to support a large deck. No moving the mixer, load from one side, mix, turn and dump. It was actually easier to carry sacks than try and roll wheel barrel across uneven sloped wet ground.

/ Our new Project
If you mix it yourself, are you buying bulk pallets of cement sacks? Thats about 325 sacks (5 sack mix) of cement plus what it will cost you for sand gravel mix delivered.

This is what I was thinking about.... just thinking for now. I was hoping someone had some experience in mixing and placing concrete in this manner. The sacks of "Ready Mix" will cost more than having the concrete delivered so that is out.

Just trying to save as much money as I can. The more I can save the more I have for the next project... there is always a next project.