Out in field with 2638 manual is no help

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
It looks like I am low on hydraulic/tranny fluid. No eyepiece or dipstick in sight. Manual offers nothing. Anyone know where it is on 2638 or 2538?
thanks in advance.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #2  
The viewing glass is above the PTO shaft on the rear of the tractor about 4-6" and slightly to the right of center.
It may not help you if your fluid is clear.
I made a homemade dipstick using a long zip tie. About 14" long. If you can find something around the area that is a little flexible you can lower it into the filling port on the top left of the rear housing, and get an idea how low it is.

Any signs of hydraulic leaks? Maybe you popped a line.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help
Hey, thanks for responding.
Actually, I did put in a zip tie just to see where is was but it didn't tell me much.
I did find the eyepiece and it is useless with a backhoe in the way and I still don't know if it is clear or low.
What a sad design.

I saw a couple of dark spots on the ground and knew I had a leak.
I ended up adding about 8 ounces and it started working again.

I will have to figure out what is full and then use your idea with a zip tie and mark it like a dipstick.
Thank you for that. It is a good idea.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #4  
I have seen where john deere has a red dye you can out in the fluid to make it easier to see. I have had the same issue with my 2538.

Yeah, I was thinking about that and wondering if I could buy something but then would it stain the eye piece and give a false reading. This is SO stupid. I mean, how long has a dipstick been used?
I want to take care of my equipment and I think zip tie is the answer. I do need to cobble something so it can't fall inside though. :cool:

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #6  
Yeah, I was thinking about that and wondering if I could buy something but then would it stain the eye piece and give a false reading. This is SO stupid. I mean, how long has a dipstick been used?
I want to take care of my equipment and I think zip tie is the answer. I do need to cobble something so it can't fall inside though. :cool:
Walmart sells and ships it
mt3668

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #8  
The use of a dipstick has been around a long time, so has the sight glass. I have not used the dye but I have also not heard or known of the dye discoloring the glass.

Here is my solution.
I have ordered the dye to get the fill correct.
I will add a dipstick because it is nearly impossible to see the sight glass with my backhoe attached.
The best I could do yesterday was put to my phone down inside the backhoe brackets and take a picture.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #10  
I will add a dipstick because it is nearly impossible to see the sight glass with my backhoe attached.
I don't know how you will add a dipstick, I don't think you can just place one on the fill cap and get it down to where you need it and i don't think there is an opening anywhere on he side to be able to do it.