Out in field with 2638 manual is no help

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help
I used a 10-12" zip tie and got just a little oil on the tip.
It told me the oil was there but no way to determine if it was ok or low.

I think I can cobble together something with a washer so it doesn't fall in.
After I put in the dye and find the lower level, I will mark the zip tie. Same for when it is midways on the sight glass.

It sounds like I am making this difficult but with a backhoe, it is difficult at best. The engineers who decided this was acceptable had their heads up their......
wait, maybe isn't that hard for them.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #12  
For those of you thinking of "adding a dipstick" to the 2538/2638 fill hole, I would recommend against it.
I use a 14" long zip tie "as a dipstick" after I remove the filler cap on top of the housing. I have it marked within an inch of where the sight glass is. If I fill it a little full, that's better than not enough. Another quart in the reservoir over the dot on the sight glass, won't be detrimental to the equipment.

Once I check the fluid level, I put the "dipstick" away and replace the filler cap.

I'm going to buy the dye as well.

For those of you thinking of "adding a dipstick" to the 2538/2638 fill hole, I would recommend against it.
I use a 14" long zip tie "as a dipstick" after I remove the filler cap on top of the housing. I have it marked within an inch of where the sight glass is. If I fill it a little full, that's better than not enough. Another quart in the reservoir over the dot on the sight glass, won't be detrimental to the equipment.

Once I check the fluid level, I put the "dipstick" away and replace the filler cap.

I'm going to buy the dye as well.
Agree 100%. I will keep the original cap on as well.
I am going to cobble together a zip tie and a plastic washer or cap bigger than the opening so I don't drop the zip tie into the tank. That would be me!

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #14  
Root Cuase and duffer, I made some posts in the RK forums a few months back about the same issue with not being able to see the fluid level with the sight glass. The dye does work great and doesn't effect the glass at all. One bottle treats 5 gallons of trans oil. Others on here lead me to the JD oil that I found on eBay for something like $12.50 a bottle. I had overfilled mine due to not seeing it in the glass. After adding the dye I drove around for a few minutes to mix it up and walla, what a beautiful red color. I used a siphon pump to remove the access and get it to the top of the glass. I did notice the other day that with the front end loader and 3 point lowered the level is at the very top of the sight glass but with both raised the level drops below the glass where you can't see it. Keep that in mind when servicing yours.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #15  
Agree 100%. I will keep the original cap on as well.
I am going to cobble together a zip tie and a plastic washer or cap bigger than the opening so I don't drop the zip tie into the tank. That would be me!
Use the tie wrap to attach to a 2" long piece of something. It can be a dowel rod or another tie wrap. Make a tee at the end of the tie wrap and it won't fall in.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #16  
And whatever you do, don't forget to put the filler cap back on. It's VERY pricey. (ask me how I know)

Thanks, everyone for the ideas and information. I can't return the favors you have done here but I am taking pictures and building a maintenance file for those who follow later on.

/ Out in field with 2638 manual is no help #18  
My Kubota HAS a dipstick. Sometime, under shaded lighting, the level on the dipstick is difficult to see. I improved this situation. Took the cap/dipstick into the shop and roughed up the end of the dipstick with a file. Now it's an easy read.

My Kubota HAS a dipstick. Sometime, under shaded lighting, the level on the dipstick is difficult to see. I improved this situation. Took the cap/dipstick into the shop and roughed up the end of the dipstick with a file. Now it's an easy read.
Good idea. I will do that for sure.

I know I made a big deal with this but the manufacturer needs to do better. Having oil and being able to read the level is critical for pete's sake.

Getting down on my knees in the mud and looking at a dime-sized sight glass from 3 feet away in hopes of seeing a thin line of clear oil is just dumb.

Toyota has many lean ideologies that made them a quality manufacturer. Gemba is a term that directs a leader to get out of the office and get into the real world.
I guess Indians don't speak Japanese. Meanwhile, they are dragging me down to their level with a homemade dipstick. I will get off my soapbox now and be grateful that I have a trac-hoe instead of a shovel and a wheelbarrow.