Out of commision

/ Out of commision #1  

SteveH_CT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 4310
Wow - what a weekend. Saturday I got my 4310 back from it's 50hr service. I went right to work with the new toothbar (teethbar???). I got a load of "stuff" moved. I had piles of brush all along the perimeter of the area I've been clearing. I was very pleased with the additional bucket with the toothbar.

Sunday - another story - to beat the rain I got out early. 1st off I had to fill some tire ruts left by my friends Fermec B60 - it's a real big unit - about 18000 pounds - it's a great tool, but makes as much work for me to clean up after he's been over. There really is something to be said for the work we can do with the CUTS.

So while I'm moving some of the brush my tractor falls into a rut, with a rock in it. I had to use the FEL to get out. I think when I pushed myself out of the rut my front end came down on the rock - I didn't notice it though. I dropped my load and headed back to get more - as I'm driving by the rock I was hung up on I noticed fluid on it... got off and looked - sure enough I was leaking hydraulic fluid. I quickly fixed the leak by tightening a fitting on the front end.

So I was feeling pretty lucky about the minor repair. Well as I'm backing out of the driveway to get back to work a loud "Whosh" scares the bejeezus out of me. Yup - Within 30 seconds of fixing the hydro leak I popped a rear tire. Fortunately I've got the BH on. I used the stabilizer to lift the tractor and get the wheel off the ground.

So that was it for me and tractoring today. I'll have to get a tube put in tomorrow. What got me about this was that I've driven over this "stumplet" many times before, but I guess I just caught it right today.

Live and learn lesson - rip all those little suckers out. I got lazy on this one and it got me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Attachments

• 419610-DCP_2333.JPG
    419610-DCP_2333.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 553
   / Out of commision #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've driven over this "stumplet" many times before, but I guess I just caught it right today )</font>

Hope a tube is all you need, but sounds like you might have broken the cords in the tire and either need a new tire or a big boot in the tire.

/ Out of commision
Say it ain't so Bird /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif - I'll drop it off tomorrow and post the outcome... new tires must be mucho $$. Momma always said there'd be days like this.

/ Out of commision
Here is a shot of Ron (in the Fermec) out in my back yard. I keep thinking as I was driving up to his TLB that my Deere must be thinking "thats what I want to be when I grow up". I had a serious case of Back Hoe envy as he was yanking some larger stumps with that 20' back hoe.

Attachments

• 419640-DCP_2331.jpg
    419640-DCP_2331.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 508
   / Out of commision
One more shot from Saturday.

Attachments

• 419642-DCP_2332.JPG
    419642-DCP_2332.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 493
   / Out of commision #6  
Steve:

Could I be wrong or is that a strongbox that you have your JD propped up on? You may need it's contents if you need a tire. That happened to me once, I ran over an exposed pipe end in my rental properties back yard. I didn't have a hoe to lift it. I had to go home (walk) and get a jack, some boards and a socket wrench.

I took the tire/rim to the farm tire store in the next town. It cost me over $200.00 as the tire cord was severed. I had to buy a new tire and tube. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That was a little tractor. I'd hate to have that happen to my 5030. I have a feeling that those tires are substantially more.

/ Out of commision
Yes, it's an old safe that we lost the combo to. I've got the stabilizer down - the safe is there just in case.

I sure hope the tire isn't shot. With 58 hours on the tractor I'd say they were still like new. I'll find out soon enough though.

/ Out of commision #8  
Steve:

If it is, at least you won't have a problem with a mis-match. My tire dilemma was compounded by the fact that the tread pattern that I had was no longer available. I wound up with two similar but not quite the same tires on the back.

/ Out of commision #9  
Sorry about the tire. That really stinks. I hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle.

That backhoe your friend has is a nice one. You can sure see the size difference between that and the 4310. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I think the Fermecs are what the Kobelcos used to be. I think someone acquired the Kobelco line of TLBs (I forget) and then it was Fermec, or maybe it was just Fermec all along! lol /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Out of commision #10  
Fermec bought out Massey Ferguson construction, which was using ANother one's hoe. I can't remember but think it was Komatsu's hoe not Kobleco. In either case, I had a 960 for a week and also the Case, Cat, JD, and JCB all but the Cat for a week. We were trying them out for the highway dep't. The Fermec rans circles around all others combined. Better design for use, even better for maintenance and repair, full 3/4 steel skid plate between both axles. longler reach, more power than the others combined All were in the 17/18 fot class. The town fathers never heard of Fermec even though two of them heard of Massey Ferguson. They went with the second lowest bidder and got the 410 SG Deere.. About two years ago, Fermec sold this division or was bought out completely by Terex. They made no changes other than a new decal. One awesome machine to say the least...