Out of state guy who bought from Barlows

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #1  

bfisherman11

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3033H
(Also posted in the general buy/pricing)

I have been talking with Brady Barlow about a kubota L2501 HST w/AG tires and a loader. All sounds good so far. What is the procedure once you have gotten in the pricing ball park? I have rough numbers but nothing laid out to a bottom line.

I assume he writes up a contract, especially since I would use the 0% Kubota financing. I am out of state so I am thinking delivery.

About two weeks before I started talking to Barlows I had been at my local Kubota. He basically was quoting me list, talking bad about LS, Kioti, Massey (real turnoff). Pretty much anyone who ever built a tractor. He offered me $1500 for my 9N but was not discounting past the posted rebates on line.

Yesterday he called me, kinda with the attitude of "why I had not called back?" He said he talked to Kubota and they said really my trade was worth only $600 but he would stick with the $1500 (nice guy). Ha. Then he said Kubota had discounted some and gave me a number $200 more than I had two weeks before. I told him that and then said I am talking to Barlows too. For the same tractor they are $2500 less than you. He got mad and said, "So when you need service, you taking it there?" I said, "Your a Kubota dealer, If my Ram breaks I don't need to take it where I bought it". He said, "Well I probably should not say it but you would be waiting till all our actual customers got serviced first". I am thinking A-hole but keep my cool. I said "OK, what can you do about price?" He said nothing and that "Barlows will do bait and switch. The tractor they deliver won't be with AG tires and HST like I want"....

Is this guy all wet, just a jerk or what?

It is OK to PM me if you don't want to post. Anyhow, I believe Barlows is VERY legit. There are way too many happy posters to prove it.

Really want to hear from Barlow buyers. What was the process and experience. I am a do unto others type of guy. This is what I hear about Barlows, good ppl. I have searched archives and have not seen a thread like this. It might help other potential Barlow purchasers.

I am usually a support your local dealer type but not when there is this much gap and such an attitude. If we were 200-300 dollars apart it would be different.

Thanks so much,

Bill

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #2  
There have been several threads about buying from Barlow's on this site. Yes, they make the process simple. I also went back and forth with Brady on some options, info on shipping and trade etc. but once that info is sorted out, they give a price and that's about it. Deal done. I did two purchases with them and both were with trade-ins were pretty simple.

They have a pretty high batting average with customer satisfaction based on past comments from this site!

If you do have a problem they will take care of it. They are pretty easy going folks to deal with and they do look out for their customers. But you have to be realistic and be a little patient since it is a long distance purchase.

I would go to the next closest Kubota dealer for any service or parts on your tractor if you buy from Barlow's once the warranty is up.
Or even to get another price if you are concerned about purchasing out of state.

Enjoy your tractor!

Last edited:
   / Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #3  
From what I know, Barlows is a class operation. There was a period where they were slow to respond to e-mails, but I think that is no longer the case. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. The other guy sounds like a prick.

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows
I think s219 summed it up well. Ha

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #5  
From what I know, Barlows is a class operation. There was a period where they were slow to respond to e-mails, but I think that is no longer the case. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. The other guy sounds like a prick.
Ditto. Get it in your quote/sales contract that it will have loader model X, Y tires, etc, etc, etc and it will be delivered that way...

Aaron Z

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #6  
I've bought 17 new ones and 2 used ones from Barlows in the last 12 years. One of the new and one of the used was a couple of weeks ago. The used BX1500 had a leak, returned it and they fixed it and back now and working.
Kubota has nothing to do with trade ins, That's totally up to the dealer to buy with their money or not. New Kubotas are owned by the company, mostly, until they are sold, they are just on dealers lots to sell. All dealers get them for the same price from Kubota or the money the dealer gets to keep when one is sold is the same at every dealer, big or small. Kubota does have regular movement with rebates and maybe special ones on sale pricing.
Barlows has bought several from me and I felt good with the price he paid me.
There will be plenty of dealers willing to service Kubotas because warranty work doesn't last forever and then shop rates apply to one and all. Be a jerk in the service dept and the dealership closes down. Most dealerships don't survive on sales profit alone, just think about it. If a dealership doesn't think about it they will be history as many are now becoming.
Barlows is super busy right now but still giving deals when they can be reached. I've had to do a lot of waiting while on their location due to so many customers/potential customers.

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #7  
. . .

About two weeks before I started talking to Barlows I had been at my local Kubota. He basically was quoting me list, talking bad about LS, Kioti, Massey (real turnoff). Pretty much anyone who ever built a tractor. He offered me $1500 for my 9N but was not discounting past the posted rebates on line.

Yesterday he called me, kinda with the attitude of "why I had not called back?" He said he talked to Kubota and they said really my trade was worth only $600 but he would stick with the $1500 (nice guy). Ha. Then he said Kubota had discounted some and gave me a number $200 more than I had two weeks before. I told him that and then said I am talking to Barlows too. For the same tractor they are $2500 less than you. He got mad and said, "So when you need service, you taking it there?" I said, "Your a Kubota dealer, If my Ram breaks I don't need to take it where I bought it". He said, "Well I probably should not say it but you would be waiting till all our actual customers got serviced first". I am thinking A-hole but keep my cool. I said "OK, what can you do about price?" He said nothing and that "Barlows will do bait and switch. The tractor they deliver won't be with AG tires and HST like I want"....

Is this guy all wet, just a jerk or what?

. . . . . .

Thanks so much,

Bill

Bill,
My opinion probably won't be popular . . but I believe it needs to be said. I copied parts of your post for readers to reference if needed.

I think you made a non-positive situation into a negative one that didn't need to happen.

1. It sounds like you sensed a local dealer was bad mouthing every other product but his own.

2. You contacted another dealer and found a much better situation (price and quality of sales style).

3. So then when the poor dealer recontacts you . . Instead of dealing with his short comings . . you use the 2nd dealers name and pricing as your defense.

Bad form in my opinion. You didn't need to put the 2nd dealer into the situation with the poor dealer. You "sacrificed" the innocent instead of taking the heat yourself.

So what do I mean? When you had the recontact from the poor dealer . . I believe you should have indicated:

a. as yet you haven't made a decision

b. My 1st contact with you (poor dealer) was not a positive one because I don't like negative selling and your price was not very desirable.

c. I think you (poor dealer) are trying to intimidate me rather than impressing me.

Now why do I have this opinion? Because you have the right to be a prospect to whoever you want to be involved with. But defend your right . . don't hide from it.

Now Brady Barlow and Barlow's and anyone else shouldn't be your shield for your rights because they are innocent of anything. You used them as a lever against the poor dealer instead of being straight about the poor dealers actions and pricing in my opinion.

Now that action on your part doesn't help mske the poor dealer a better dealer . . but it also can have negative issues for good dealers.

Why? Easy. Because the negative dealer considers themself the victim and complains to their Kubota rep.. The poor dealer feels no sense of bad behavior and if they try to negative sell you or scare you about future service issues . . think how they will blame Barlow's for their situation.

All these dealers at some point come in contact with each other at regional meetings etc.. All of them have a reputation to defend to customers and kubota hierarchy.

You put a target on Barlow's that they didn't deserve.

My point is this . . each of us that are good prospects deserve the quality, fairness, and pricing we can accept and desire. But as good prospects we should not (not) use good vendors like a crowbar to avoid defending our needs with poor vendors in my opinion.

Be a man or woman and bare the heat of your needs. Talk to 25 dealers if you desire . . but hold each one individual from the others (yes tell them you are condidering others . . but don't name them or use their quotes as leverage).

My opinion on fairness. In a sentence . . Require of those who don't produce . . desire those who do produce. (an Axleism).

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #8  
Bill,
My opinion probably won't be popular . . but I believe it needs to be said. I copied parts of your post for readers to reference if needed.

I think you made a non-positive situation into a negative one that didn't need to happen.

1. It sounds like you sensed a local dealer was bad mouthing every other product but his own.

2. You contacted another dealer and found a much better situation (price and quality of sales style).

3. So then when the poor dealer recontacts you . . Instead of dealing with his short comings . . you use the 2nd dealers name and pricing as your defense.

Bad form in my opinion. You didn't need to put the 2nd dealer into the situation with the poor dealer. You "sacrificed" the innocent instead of taking the heat yourself.

So what do I mean? When you had the recontact from the poor dealer . . I believe you should have indicated:

a. as yet you haven't made a decision

b. My 1st contact with you (poor dealer) was not a positive one because I don't like negative selling and your price was not very desirable.

c. I think you (poor dealer) are trying to intimidate me rather than impressing me.

Now why do I have this opinion? Because you have the right to be a prospect to whoever you want to be involved with. But defend your right . . don't hide from it.

Now Brady Barlow and Barlow's and anyone else shouldn't be your shield for your rights because they are innocent of anything. You used them as a lever against the poor dealer instead of being straight about the poor dealers actions and pricing in my opinion.

Now that action on your part doesn't help mske the poor dealer a better dealer . . but it also can have negative issues for good dealers.

Why? Easy. Because the negative dealer considers themself the victim and complains to their Kubota rep.. The poor dealer feels no sense of bad behavior and if they try to negative sell you or scare you about future service issues . . think how they will blame Barlow's for their situation.

All these dealers at some point come in contact with each other at regional meetings etc.. All of them have a reputation to defend to customers and kubota hierarchy.

You put a target on Barlow's that they didn't deserve.

My point is this . . each of us that are good prospects deserve the quality, fairness, and pricing we can accept and desire. But as good prospects we should not (not) use good vendors like a crowbar to avoid defending our needs with poor vendors in my opinion.

Be a man or woman and bare the heat of your needs. Talk to 25 dealers if you desire . . but hold each one individual from the others (yes tell them you are condidering others . . but don't name them or use their quotes as leverage).

My opinion on fairness. In a sentence . . Require of those who don't produce . . desire those who do produce. (an Axleism).

Agreed! You have not created a good situation for yourself. I do not know either of the dealers but it is nice to be able to get parts locally. Ticking off the local dealer is not a good thing. When I purchased my Honda minivan I went to the closest dealer who has a good reputation. They basically told me their price was MSRP. I was honest with them and told them I would not be paying that price for that vehicle and that I was sure I could get it elsewhere for less. They said fine - that is our price. I then went to another dealer that was 30 miles farther in the other direction and it was about $2700 less. I bought the vehicle. Then when it came up on recall I took it into the first dealer and they were more than happy to work on it because the service department gets paid by the company for warranty work. It has been a few years now and their service department has been great which is nice because it is in a town I regularly go to whereas the other dealer is in a town that would be a special trip.

If I were you I would stop back in at the first dealer, apologize, calmly state your issues, and try to set up the deal or at least establish a relationship for later. Maybe you guys agree to disagree on the price as I did but not ruin the relationship. You will appreciate a dealer in the long run.

That being said, some dealers are jerks and you need to go elsewhere. Most dealers though are not in the business of ticking off potentially good customers and hopefully this impasse can be resolved positively.

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #9  
Now for an opinion on Barlows.

I'm not a customer . . but for several weeks I considered them to be a possible vendor on my first ever sub compact tractor. (Sorry if I sound young . . I'm not).

Although we were many hundreds of miles apart . . they were in the top 2 choices out of more than 15 I had considered and contacted . . . and had the leading edge of the 2 choices. But I then altered my brand choice and so I didn't end up with Barlows.

So I have no ulterior motives in what I'm going to say . . Nor do I have experience as an actual customer.

But as a serious prospect over 5 weeks I was keenly impressed with what I experienced.

I did my homework ahead of time and got pticing on 2 models with various options. My contacts were just by email and with Brady Barlow. He was efficient but pleasant and personable in each and every email. He didn't high price then low price me. He responded sooner instead of later.

He offered added suggestions or input.

He showed no pattern of impatience as I asked for pricing on many implement or add on options. It was a series of emails (not just a couple) and each one pleasant, professional, and informative.

He offered serious pricing and was very complete about shipping costs or other issues.

My point is . . I wanted to explore the opportunity of Barlow's pleasantly, thoroughly, and without taking all their time.

I was impressed with Brady and how he handled our communications. I was impressed with their pricing and approach.

I have no reason to feel that had ended up buying from Barlow's . . that the customer side would not have been equal to the prospect side even though hundreds of miles separated us.

/ Out of state guy who bought from Barlows #10  

[snip]

I've already posted in the other thread. The two threads should probably be merged, as the double-posting is confusing. Not sure how that would be done at this point, but I'd hate to think any pearls of wisdom get lost as a result. :laughing: