OUT WITH THE L4330, IN WITH THE L5030

/ OUT WITH THE L4330, IN WITH THE L5030
My B7800 and the L4330 are on the left side. If I need to lock up the rear end I want to be able to operate the gas pedal while doing so. Idle speed won't get it trying to get out of a situation where I need the pulling traction of both rear tires. Using the hand throttle while operating the back blade or the FEL at the same time doesn't get it for me.

Okay. Let's see if I can figure this out.

It did. Hit attachments the pic of my L39 is there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 706218-Skinners-Mule-L39MA11123840-0001.jpg
    706218-Skinners-Mule-L39MA11123840-0001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 149
Here's another one of our toys.

Attachments

• 706227-MATTS-D6NMA11123840-0002.jpg
    706227-MATTS-D6NMA11123840-0002.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 180
   / OUT WITH THE L4330, IN WITH THE L5030 #95  
Wow, that's a big toy... lucky man /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It looks like some people have more playtime than others. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Nice L39 on the other pic.

Yes well it's actually my partner's tractor. He bought it last year before we got together. (Business wise that is)

He does the rock work and I do the small stuff. (Small in comparison /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The D6 is a monster. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It weighs 35,000 pounds. The front blade weighs around 10,000 pounds if my memory serves me right. The cab is air conditioned climate controlled and for the most part air tight. It has an awsum stereo with a CD. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The tractor stays booked up six months in advance doing house pads and roads in the rocks. I like to run it, but it's hard on my back, even with the air ride seat. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I like running the skip loaders (L39) and the B7800. He's an engineer and has over 5000 hours on track graders and loaders. I'm just the flunky. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That's me in the picture climbing around on it. It's a real climb to get up on it. As you can see we do a lot of work in the desert sand. Most of it is decomposed granite. Some is real fine like blow sand. That's why I had a power problem with the L4330.

/ OUT WITH THE L4330, IN WITH THE L5030 #97  
Muleskinner, I'd like to know: with a bulldozer like that, how do you level an area? I mean do you have a tiltmeter onboard or a light coming on when the machine is leveled and then you level the rest of the area? Is there tilt cylinders on the front blade?

I know it might sounds like dumb questions, but I really don't know how commercial tractors work.

/ OUT WITH THE L4330, IN WITH THE L5030 #98  
<font color="blue"> Yes well it's actually my partner's tractor. He bought it last year before we got together. (Business wise that is) </font>

Not that theres anything wrong with that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do like the clarification at any rate.

It's hard to explain. I will try. With a dozer it's different than leveling with a skip. Let's say you are leveling a pad on the top of a small hill for example. Once you get your road made to the top of the hill, you start from the top moving back and forth in sort of a semi circle as you take the hill down in elevation.

During this time you are grading "By eye." When you get the pad close to where you want to be you use a lazer level to obtain the finish grade.

The tricky part is climbing the mountain to start. To accomplish this you actually back the tractor up the slope a little at a time then start grading the road downhill. Most folks think you grade going forward, but that's not how you do it.

All pad and road grading jobs are different depending on the terrain and what your customer wants. With a dozer you kind of move back and forth turning around in a semi circle moving dirt. This takes the material down as you go. Clear as mud? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

On a semi flat surface you grade like you would with a skip. The D6 has the lazer level option from Cat. It's trick. The receiver mounts on the center of the blade. The sender is set up on a tripod. Inside of the cab is a computer type screen that shows you your grade mesurements. With a single receiver the blade has an auto mode for raising and lowering the blade elevation automatically. With a double receiver the blade's auto mode controls both blade elevation and tilt. If you are a large contractor Cat even offers a GPS system that can control more than one machine at a time. It's all about how much money you want to spend.

It's hard to explain on paper. You need to watch a dozer grade from start to finish to understand how it works. It's definitly an art. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes Rat. Living as close to Palm Springs as I do I wanted to clarify that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif