outdoor wood burner who has built one

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #31  
This is the picture of the wood boiler I was given last year. It looks similar to beenthere's. I currently have one of those US Stove indoor Furnaces. It works ok, eats alot of wood. I was thinking maybe the boiler was a better alternative for my 1000sq ft cottage with very little insulation. I'm really sick of waking up cold and didn't know if radiator heat would keep it a little more even.

Attachments

• Wood%20Boiler%20002.jpg
    Wood%20Boiler%20002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,847
  • Wood%20Boiler%20003.jpg
    Wood%20Boiler%20003.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Wood%20Boiler%20004.jpg
    Wood%20Boiler%20004.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 381
   / outdoor wood burner who has built one #32  
MD3

Yours sounds really similar to what I want to build can you give me a idea on how much area you heat, burn times? Can you also post some pictures and maybe some more information on items used. Thanks

I agree it sounds like the direction that you are heading. Jeepnford is correct in saying that you can get the basic info from Deb Design. I will try to get some pics tonight. I did and would change a few things from the plans that I can share. Things like the draft/blower assembly ( maybe delete the blower), better thermostat and so on.

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #33  
I'll give you my 2 cents on the draft blower. I have a Aqua-Therm 145 outdoor wood boiler. It is basically a barrel (firebox) in a barrel (water jacket). It does have a draft blower and I think you will want one. Unless you like alot of smoking and have good seasoned wood I'd put a draft blower in. A couple of people in my area have older Central boiler OWBs without a draft blower and those things smoke alot. I get compliments on how little mine smokes. Think about it, when the aquastat calls for heat it opens the draft door to restart the fire. With a draft blower and flap it opens the draft and starts the fan. Your fire restarts quicker and gets up to temp quicker with less smoke. My OWB smokes the most when the aquastat closes the draft flapper and shuts the draft blower off (smoldering the fire). Like I said, it works better with green or damp wood also. I reseached building my own and I was going to, but ended up finding a deal on my Aqua-Therm used. When my Aqua-Therm dies I'll most likely build my own replacement. Have you ever took a look at the Seton style OWBs? They are a different design and use a heavily insulated firebox with a steel tube heat exchanger in the exhaust path. They look very easy to build and I'll most likely go that route when mine gives up.
Vince

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #34  
MD3

Yours sounds really similar to what I want to build can you give me a idea on how much area you heat, burn times? Can you also post some pictures and maybe some more information on items used. Thanks

A few pictures.100_2737.jpg

100_2743.JPG

100_2744.jpg

100_2745.JPG

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #36  
If I`m building a shop, and want to use an OWB to heat it what do I need for "in the shop" :confused:

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #37  
Hi TWD,

You have several options, which one is best depends upon how you use your shop. If you use the shop frequently (every day, for example), heat in the floor is VERY nice. Infrequent use, then perhaps a coil with a blower. Radiators are another option but i doubt there are many shop arrangements that these would make sense for.

An OWB is nice for heating a shop if you are also using it to heat your house or if your shop is large and you are using it every day. It would normally be a bad solution if the situation was that OWB was used only for the shop which was occupied one day per week.

Feel free to PM or give more details/questions here if that is not considered thread hijacking.

Ken

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one
Okay thanks for the picturs and all the info so far I have been out of internet since saturday and they just got the problem fixed yesterday so know I am back on I am going to call today to see prices on 3/8 and 1/4 plate and see what I can come up with.

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #39  
When building your own OWB, Try to go with as much water capacity that you can. If you live in the north you will be better off with 300+ gallons. I love my OWB, heats 4000sqft home and a 1000sqft shop ( in floor ) I have not used a drop of Propne in 3 years. My stove is very simple and the stove pipe runs down to within 10" of the bottom of the fire box to give the so called "secondary burn", That works great but I have some creosote build up issues in the pipe because of the continuous smolder. They all are designed to smolder so I guess creosote is the nature of the beast. I just snake it out now and then. I run the stove at 180 degrees and set the aquasta on the house furnace at 140. I also heat all my hot water with a coil of copper tube in the water jacket and pump it through my water heater. I never run out of hot water. I too would say to go with a forced draft fan for quick fire restart. I did all of the install myself but it's all been worth it so far.

/ outdoor wood burner who has built one #40  
... the stove pipe runs down to within 10" of the bottom of the fire box to give the so called "secondary burn",

Can you explain this? I thought I understood the secondary burn as injecting fresh O2 in the right place in the fire box. I don't under stand the stove pipe part.

DRL