Oil & Fuel Outer air filter “fins” on 1920

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
I have 2 NHs a Tc40da and a 1920. The latter takes an outer air filter with “fins” and costs a lot more
IMG_0399.JPG

Any idea why these two tractors that are actually pretty similar (obviously one is hst) have such differently designed air filters?

Are the fins of any value?

Thanks in advance!

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #2  
Your tractor is Japanese made by Shibarura for Ford. It uses the standard tractor and off-road air filters found in Japan.

These filters are used on Yanmars (Deere), Mitsubishi (IH CNH), Iseki, Shibarura (Ford), Hinomoto, Kubota, and the like. The key is knowing the length and diameter since there are 5 or 6 to pick from.

These are shop-vac cleaned and reused for 'up to' 10 years. Conditions vary, so will the life of the filter.
How to clean one:
Yanmar tractor air filter service.

1662252004889.png

If you know the size, again it will be easy to locate the filter at a good price.
This has a good cross reference list at the bottom.

tractorpartstogo.com/products/afym-6270-air-filter-yanmar-226

Last edited:
   / Outer air filter “fins” on 1920
Wow, thanks so much for the info, that’s very helpful. I know the inner filters will last a long time but at the prices on Amazon (for the one with fins) it would be nice to extend life with an appropriate cleaning.

Thanks again!

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #4  
Wow, thanks so much for the info, that’s very helpful. I know the inner filters will last a long time but at the prices on Amazon (for the one with fins) it would be nice to extend life with an appropriate cleaning.

Thanks again!
I use the shop-vac both ways. First as a blower and place the hose into the filter to blow it all outwards. Then as suction for the outside with the bear-claw attachment. It's in the 30psi range so as not to rip the filter media.

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #5  
I’ve had them in there for 10 years no problem. Cleaned them at least once a year inside and outside. As long the filter paper doesn’t have a hole, or is black, I’d put it back on the tractor.

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #6  
I put one like that in my "Made in USA" Ford. It's a hard hit to the wallet when buying both inner and outer but I did a restore. That part was a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the tractor. The ones I took out had to be over 10 years old. They do last if you take care of them. 🚜

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #7  
I have 2 NHs a Tc40da and a 1920. The latter takes an outer air filter with “fins” and costs a lot more.

Any idea why these two tractors that are actually pretty similar (obviously one is hst) have such differently designed air filters?

Are the fins of any value?

Thanks in advance!

The purpose of the fins is to make entering air whirl rapidly & help heavier dirt particles go into a cup (7A) at the opposite end of the filter housing.
The cup should be cleaned out frequently, in order to keep filter from clogging prematurely.

I check & empty it in my Ford 1310 frequently if operating in dusty conditions and it certainly helps to keep filter cleaner.

I Shop-vac the filter element yearly.

Air Cleaner.png

The purpose of the fins is to make entering air whirl rapidly & help heavier dirt particles go into a cup (7A) at the opposite end of the filter housing.
The cup should be cleaned out frequently, in order to keep filter from clogging prematurely.

I check & empty it in my Ford 1310 frequently if operating in dusty conditions and it certainly helps to keep filter cleaner.

I Shop-vac the filter element yearly.

View attachment 760941

Ok! So *that* is the logic behind the fins! I wonder if this really works. Makes sense I suppose though I opened mine and didn’t encounter anything big in part F(a). Could they also reduce the velocity of a big piece thereby protecting the soft filter element?

/ Outer air filter “fins” on 1920 #9  
It seems to work since there is always bunch of dust and grit when I open up mine.

These designs have evolved over the years and the one in my Kubota F3060 does not retain dirt in the cup, instead it blows it out with air continuously from a dust outflow "valve" on the bottom of the cup.

On these it's easy to check if air is blowing out of the valve when engine is running - it is 10 years newer design.

See item 070 valve below:

Air2.png

Air3.png

Last edited:
Wierd cuz my Tc40da has same type port but NO fins on filter. Letting debris drop out makes more sense than collecting it in the 1920 housing as per earlier post by other member.