Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #1  
Tractor
John Deere 112, John Deere 3010D
I know this is a tractor forum but I like this site better than auto forums I have found.

Here is my issue: I'm replacing the rack and pinion on my 2000 toyota tundra. Step 1, removing the outer tie rods is proving to be a stupid challenge. I got one off. But on the passenger side. I have tried pb blaster, pouding on the steering knuckle, prying between the tie rod and the steering knuckle with a pickle fork, and prying with the pickle fork while pounding on the stud of the tie rod with a sledge hammer. I have beat the heck out of the stud with the sledge hammer. I'm now at wit's end.

Any clever solutions for this dilemma?

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #2  
I hope you pickle fork is a good one, my harbor freight ones were worthless, and the Napa lifetime guarantee pickle forks were the same price. My tie rod ends were a PITA but I just had to use a bigger hammer. The pickle forks are supposed to be pounded in, then continually pounded until it separates the 'joint'. I think I had to use a burns-o- matic torch to heat mine some. I hope your replacing the tie rod ends, because it is really tough to separate them while salvaging them. You can but new rubbers if you need them. Good luck!

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #4  
I try not to use a pickle fork. See if you can use a tie rod puller. AutoZone may have one you can borrow. You pay for it then get your money back when you return it.

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck
The tie rod puller I got at O'Reily doesn't fit around the steering knuckle. Also I started heating the steering knuckle but quit when the rubber boot started to melt and smell really bad. Maybe I could cut a lot of the rubber out of there and then try heating it again.

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #6  
Try getting 2 large hammers, use one as an anvil and the other to hit the other side of the joint. You are trying to egg the female taper and pop the joint loose.

Russell

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #7  
Air hammer pickle fork. Vibration will knock it loose.

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #8  
Air hammer pickle fork. Vibration will knock it loose.

Exactly right. Stop pounding on your steering components with a sledge hammer! Use the air hammer pickle fork.

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #9  
Exactly right. Stop pounding on your steering components with a sledge hammer! Use the air hammer pickle fork.

+1 on that..That approach works every time.

/ Outer Tie Rod Removal on Truck #10  
I've had good luck rapping on the side of the arm, the boss that the tapered shaft on the tie rod goes thru. A couple of well placed hits and it comes off.....Mike