Outlets wired backwards

/ Outlets wired backwards #61  
Most outlets I buy have holes in the back you merely strip and push the conductor in, except the ground (they also have the screw terminals). But the 10AWG thing might preclude that, being so big.

/ Outlets wired backwards #62  
Most outlets I buy have holes in the back you merely strip and push the conductor in,

Those are not considered as good a connection as the screwed connections. They may not be allowed in some places.:confused:

/ Outlets wired backwards #63  
Most outlets I buy have holes in the back you merely strip and push the conductor in, except the ground (they also have the screw terminals). But the 10AWG thing might preclude that, being so big.

I made the mistake of using those push in connectors and ended up with intermittently dead circuits. Ended up taking them back out and using screw terminals for the connection.

/ Outlets wired backwards #64  
OK I only read the first three pages so this may have been mentioned past there...other than don't think 10 gauge wire will fit in the push in outlets have one thought...if you are 100% sure all outlets are wired back wards on a circuit you can reverse the wires in the breaker box and have the electricity running correct. You will still have the colors back wards and not a suggestion to leave it like this but would get your circuits safe for you to have time to change each outlet.

/ Outlets wired backwards #65  
I made the mistake of using those push in connectors and ended up with intermittently dead circuits. Ended up taking them back out and using screw terminals for the connection.

Today's receptacles, and switches, look like the old fire starter, "push in" type. But, they are actually insert, and screw down to lock. This new system is fine because the wire is secured by the screw. It also makes changing things later, very easy.

/ Outlets wired backwards #66  
OK I only read the first three pages so this may have been mentioned past there...other than don't think 10 gauge wire will fit in the push in outlets have one thought...if you are 100% sure all outlets are wired back wards on a circuit you can reverse the wires in the breaker box and have the electricity running correct. You will still have the colors back wards and not a suggestion to leave it like this but would get your circuits safe for you to have time to change each outlet.

I actually suggested this, then deleted my post after thinking about it for awhile. Even if you remarked the wires in the breaker box, it could end up causing all kinds issues for a subsequent owner or even an electrician called in while you were incapacitated.

/ Outlets wired backwards #67  
Today's receptacles, and switches, look like the old fire starter, "push in" type. But, they are actually insert, and screw down to lock. This new system is fine because the wire is secured by the screw. It also makes changing things later, very easy.

Thanks for the update. It has been a while since I did any serious wiring.

/ Outlets wired backwards #68  
I have been using these push in connectors from Ideal for several years. I really like them over wire nuts. However, they are only big enough for 12 gauge and smaller, so the OP with 10 won't be able to use them.

IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - In-Sure Push-In Wire Connectors

They are nice because you only have to strip the wire, they are clear on the back so you can see that the wire is inserted properly, they lock the wire in place and there is no twisting of the wire, so it is MUCH easier on your hands. They come in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 hole configurations. They also come in small, medium and large packs, so you can buy just a few to try them out or buy a bunch for a large project. If you haven't tried them, give them a try on your next small job and see how you like them.

/ Outlets wired backwards #69  
I know I did a quick read thru, but I didn't see any glaring bad information. Would you care to point it out?

The solution, as many have stated, is to fix the wiring.
Can be a PITA but you will sleep better. In normal cases, it won't hurt anything, but there are some good examples of the abnormal cases that do happen.

For the person concerned about an AC unit plugged into a 15A rated receptacle, if the AC unit needs 20A receptacle, it should have a 20A plug on it, so it won't fit in a 15A receptacle.
And never assume a light fixture is off just because you turned the switch off.

Many older houses built before the 70's don't have grounded outlets, although they might still have a ground wire in the box.
Watch out for the houses built in the 70's with aluminum wiring. I was helping someone once, and the outlets had been replaced with newer ones that were rated copper wire only, and the whole house was aluminum wire.

I read your reply But my concern was 13.5 Amp A/C that pulls 40.5 amps on start up on a cheap 15 amp outlet on a #12 wire and 20 amp breaker.
So this morning I went to Lowe's and checked around there are appliances that pull 13-14 amps with 15 amp plugs,I went to the tool dept Dewalt planer 15 amp rating 15 amp plug.I then went over to the mig welders 19.5 amp 15 amp plug, so according to you this is ok,Not for me you do what you want I will do it the right way #12 wire 20 amp plug 20 amp breaker!
With the cheapness and poor quality of all of electrical products that are sold today I'll stay with the highest rating possible.

/ Outlets wired backwards #70  
I tend to agree that putting a 15AMP rated outlet on 12GA wire and a 20AMP breaker is asking for trouble. The outlet could fail before the breaker pops and that defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :confused: