Outside firewood storage

/ Outside firewood storage #11  
If you do tarp it, try to only tarp the top, such that air can still blow through. I made a mistake with my firewood a couple years ago and tarped it all up solid in a shady spot - got green mold and mildew all throughout my firewood in the hot wet summer months. I still burnt it in the woodstove because I didn't really have any other choice, but it was gross to handle it and you always had to wash your hands afterwards.

/ Outside firewood storage #12  
One thing I would suggest is to spray the pile with an insecticide / termacide.

I always do and that keeps carpenter bees, ants and spiders away. It don't take much but nothing quite like picking up a chunk with all kinds of ants on it.

Some chemical are very clear on their label do not spray it on wood to be burned. Not sure what insecticides are dangerous being burned but have read it on a few labels over the years.

/ Outside firewood storage #13  
Split and off the ground and covered in the rainy season- here it rains for half the year and is dry the other half. The covers let in air to evaporate any condensation under the covers and to dry the wood more.

Some wood is stacked on pallets, some is in IBC tote cages. I cut up the IBC plastic bladders to use as rain covers for the cages. The wood on pallets gets tarped.

I've not had a problem with insects in my split wood. I think it's too dry for them.