Over Running Clutch for Tiller?

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
TS has this over running clutch thing that mounts to the PTO shaft for about $70 or so, sometimes less on sale. Reviews seem mixed. Guessing there are probably other versions as well.

Overall length is about 3-4" inches which might make up the difference in PTO if I wanted to add one of those 3PT quick frame contraptions also. That's another $80 or so at various places.

Current set up is PTO shaft direct between tractor and tiller, no clutch unless there's one inside the tiller.

Would I be gaining anything useful by spending that $150 or so?

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #2  
A tiller runs really slow, usually around 230 to 250 RPMs. Doesn't create enough inertia like a mower does, so it doesn't really need a Over running clutch. I would use either a Clutch on the PTO shaft or a fuse type PTO shaft though, in case you hit something hard or the tiller grabs a hidden root or something.

The Over running clutch is good for a mower. It will save your PTO brake once you shut the PTO off.

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller?
Well, fooled me anyways. There IS a slip clutch on the tiller end of the shaft under the shroud.

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #5  
Well, fooled me anyways. There IS a slip clutch on the tiller end of the shaft under the shroud.
My tiller has a slip clutch in-case it hits something buried. An over running would be when you have a high inertia implement that you're spinning.

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #6  
Yeah, you should loosen it, slip it (break rust), re-tighten it, yearly.

Do or die advice, folks! For me, it's an annual "4th of July chore" along with resetting the air pressure in my well tank. (Well-X-Trol bladder, WX-2)

Over-running clutch would let one 'walk' a tiller on it's tines over very soft ground vs sink in with the weight of the implement then NOT borne by the rear wheels. A rare situation, but possible. :cool2:

IMO it'd be a sly way to extend a PTO shaft, say for Pat's Easy Change. (Too good to abbreviate!!) Try to imagine any instance where it would be a detriment to an op or attachment. :confused: IMO, such is a necessity in a complete 'toolbox' of "Tractor tackle".

First excuse to get one, I'll be there. Expect admonition upon those who wouldn't invest 'just in case' anyway.

PS: just got carried away one I started editing, but "Tools is Tools", and IMO an o/running clutch is one.

Last edited:
   / Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #7  
They sell pto shaft extensions for much less if you are just looking for more lenght

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #8  
Expect admonition upon those who wouldn't invest 'just in case' anyway.
Not from me. I look at this the same way as insurance. Hopefully you'll never need it, but it only takes once to wish you did have it.

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #9  
Any time you extend your pto shaft, you are just asking to have more pto problems on down the road, like seals and bearings...

SR

/ Over Running Clutch for Tiller? #10  
or put more stress on the PTO drive at the tractor, i will second SR on that one, not worth the expense, they make things the way they make them for a reason, you can get by for a while but it will catch up to you in the long run