Overrunning PTO Coupler

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler #1  

kayakcarl

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
The outer part of the overrunning pto coupler will not turn for me to line up the holes to remove the pin. It appears from marks on the end of the coupler that a mechanic that worked on it hit the end of the coupler to drive it on after he had removed it. Do you think this could have damaged it and could you give me ideas as to what the damage might be?

Can someone please tell me what the inside of the coupler looks like and is there a way to remove it? Does anyone know where there is a diagram of the inside of one to help me plan how I can remove it?

Thanks for your help.

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler #2  
There is usually just a ratchet pawl inside that is spring loaded and only lets rotation go in 1 direction. A picture may help? Ken Sweet

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler #3  
i googled orc and got 50 bajillion hits.. half of them had pics.. so I'll leave that exercise to you.

if the external portion of the coupler is seized or otherwise immoveable, even with a pipe wrench ( which is what I'd try ), then it's time to split it with a sawsall, die grinder, angle grinder, etc.. hacksaw even. split it in 2 places.. 180' apart and then pry apart.

could be a piece of the inner dogs broke.. a piee of debri.. perhaps the pin slipped and galled.. hard to say...

soundguy

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler
The pipe wrenches is what we had tried to use to move the outside to line up with the pin through the shaft. It would not move even with a "cheater" pipe.

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler #5  
The pipe wrenches is what we had tried to use to move the outside to line up with the pin through the shaft. It would not move even with a "cheater" pipe.

I know it is a stupid question, but are you sure you are turning it in the right direction???

They are only suppose to free spin one way, if you are trying the wrong way, you would be trying to turn the transmisson and motor over, and possibly trying to drive the tractor.

And if you are indeed trying the right direction, I agree that it is time to break out the die grinder or sawzall

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler
No suggestion sounds dumb to me. I am afraid it is something simple I am overlooking that keeps me from lining up the holes.

We even tried going both directions to be sure with the pipe wrenches. Something has the outside part where it will not turn at all. There must be a piece of something wedged between the two(inside-outside parts). I wondered if there was some kind of keeper to hold the outside on that might be on the front end where it slides on the pto shaft. I have thought about trying to use a shop mirror to look at the front edge and hope I might see a way to take the outside off from the end. I wish I could see a diagram of how it is put together.

Thanks for the any help you can give me. I am willing to try anything.

/ Overrunning PTO Coupler #7  
you've already been told how. if it's siezed.. it's seized.

cut it off.

originally, unless a qd type, a roll pin attached the inner piece to the shaft and left clearance for the outter to spin

on most I see, there is a specialized clip like an e or c / circlip holding the internals together.

here's a basic diagram of the operation.

Attachments

• 24184d1086728944-over-running-couplers-440692-v1637.jpg
    24184d1086728944-over-running-couplers-440692-v1637.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 148