Overseeding

/ Overseeding #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
ok ... I could use some help from some of you fellers that have been maintaining pastures for a lot longer than I have (and that would be most of you, I'd hazard).
As some of you will remember ... I've got this 8 acre spread fpr my wife to play at breeding minis. The back pasture is 2 4 acres (about) parcels which the exfarmer who developed this place stripped of the topsoil (jerk!). The east pasture was so bad that I bought an L3710, a 6 ft tiller ... and proceeded to till the heck out of that pasture. This spring, I put on about 50 pounds of "horse pasture mix" from QF&F ... andf some of it is actually growing. However, since I didn't bother to check on the right way to seed (i.e. I didn't cover the seed) ... I have some bare and some not-so-covered patches in the pasture. Obviously, the horses would enjoy grazing the grass instead of the so-called dirt ... so, before I attempt this on my own again ... what's the best way to spread more seed. Obviously, I don't want to tear up the good stuff that's growing now ...

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Overseeding #2  
Wingnut,

I provide pasture renovation services here in central MD. The first thing you should do is take soil samples from each pasture, you just need the basic test & the cost about 6.00ea. threw local ext. office. this test will help you with application rates for lime,fert. & seed. as far as overseeding I use a 60" aerivator/seeder, but you probably will not find one to rent as they are very expensive machines. But if your soil is still soft, I would use a aerator (after you put down the lime & fert) then apply the seed with a broadcast spreader. You could also then pull a chain drag over the pasture to help rake the seed in. Keep in mind though if you have access to a machine overseeder they work the best for seed germination! also dont plan on doing all of your fields at once as you should not graze the new grass for 6-8 weeks min. just mow it like a lawn until the roots are well established.

Mike