Overun Clutch. on a 2000

/ Overun Clutch. on a 2000 #1  

careyo63

Veteran Member
Tractor
77 Yanmar YM2000 63 Ford 2000
Here is a good question. Overrun Clutch on a Ford 2000 4Spd.. My Owners manual doesn't mention it!! Taking my share of drive train problems already. When using the PTO. on it, I'm planning to keep running a Old International 4' BH.. Was able to briefly use it and it was plain Brutal!! No problems that I could tell.
If I would setup a tiller on it or even when useing a mower for that matter do I have to worry about PTO overrun? My 77 model Yr. Yanmar I use one on it. Manual shift Trans./PTO. So being a 63 Yr. model Tractor. Manual Shift/PTO. Do I need to use or have a Overrun on it? The drivetrain is already weak "Pitiful" come to find out. Prev. owner sure wasn't easy on it from the parts replaced!! And it break again!! Something has worn the Shifter out and wondering if that is a problem.? Knowing what happened this time since I did it!! Scrubbed reverse and now it won't go into gear. Rev........:confused:

/ Overun Clutch. on a 2000 #2  
If clutches aren't worn out and are properly adjusted an overrunning clutch isn't needed. That is to say 2000 has dual clutches aka live pto. Since you asked the question it's safe to assume you aren't a gearhead,thereby capiable of assessing condition of drivetrain so here's a poor boy way of answering your own question. Install the rotery mower WITHOUT AN OVERRUN CLUTCH. Take off going foward with mower operating as if you were mowing the pasture. Without hesitation or doing a speed shift,push clutch pedal down until tractor stops moving forward then shift into reverse,let out on clutch and mow in reverse. If you can do that without growling gears,you are good to go sans overrunning clutch. If gears growl you best use the or clutch for the time being. I'm the type guy that answers the question(s) asked without asking a bunch along with answering questions that weren't asked (aka trying to tell you what to do about things you never asked about). Tractors are the exception if I sense the inquirer is new to the used tractor game. As they rolled out of the factory I will put 4 cylinder thousand series up against anything pound for pound. Unless you know how or have someone that will show you how to work on tractors (the web doesn't qulify as instructor) you are far better off buying a 2000 in top condition than trying to patch up a bag of bolts. BUT if you are able and willing to twist wrenches while buddies go fishing,you can restore a worn out 2000 cheaper than what just a few parts cost for foreign bulit tractors. It sounds like you might need to square that up now instead of drip,drip,drip one problem after another relying on forums like this. If you come back with yea,yea,yea I want to get my hands greasy doing it myself then turn right around and ask "how do I split my tractor" on a forum like this ,YOU WEREN"T LISTENING to what I said above.

Last edited:
   / Overun Clutch. on a 2000
I know what your saying New Clutch, Pressure plate Etc,. 3rd time no Reverse. Stuck clutch and no Rev. when I got it. I phys. can't split it Esp. with a loader so I sent it to a shop. Old and Disabled. The Wrecker was here Yesterday to get it BUT!!! His truck the Brakes went out. Yup!!!
What I figured with your reply and we just about have this one put back together. I use a tractor 8spd. manual for 15yrs. so I familiar with a clutch shifting gears. Everything works as it should now just getting the problems out of the shifter from what I believe it is. And keeping all the dirt out of the reservoir bowl. Over a 1/4 of the bowl of rust in a couple weeks I had it. Over 5 times I emptied it. Thought I just clogged the Carb. after emptying it again. I ran fuel through it without the bowl and refilled it and it fired right up as usual. New clutch and wasn't using the PTO so not pushing in the clutch all the way wasn't the Problem. I Push in the Clutch PTO engaged or not. lowering the RPM's before I shifted gear. It is nice to have the 2 stage I found out!! That's why I asked about the Overrun. Pretty much assures me it has to go back. When I cleaned the carb I noticed that the smallest pitaful leak stopped on the loader. L wheel brakes and Get Rev. going and we got it!! The cool factor is off the Chart!