Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK.

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #11  
Power Services has been serving the large diesel clientele for eons, as have spark engine "snake oil" mfgrs. For a long time there was all this hype about this and that hurting your catalytic converter. Now you hear none of it and the snake oil mfgrs are still in business. My 2011 Chev owner's manual says not to add anything to the gas or oil, yet ever so often I add a can of injector cleaner and things brighten up. I use PS snake oil in my diesels, all of them and they love it.

Noticed how you are starting to buy items with snake oil in the package, fuel stabilizer in particular....Obvious there is something to it. If it was bad for your whatever, why does the dealer sell it when the manual says don't add anything?

I heard mixed reviews on Tier IV engines in that what I heard mentioned that 30 hp and above is where it applied. Well my 2400 has a 24 hp engine and it has a PCV system that's not on my 2007 65 hp, both Cummins engines....couple of hoses and a plastic hootus on top of the valve cover and the name plate says Tier IV. No where does the owner's or service manual mention the subject.

I think it's a crap shoot. Lots of times the OEMs say to not add anything because they probably haven't investigated the concoction and therefore don't want to be liable, but go to their parts window and you can buy what you want at their price with their logo attached and guess what.....Chevy doesn't make injector cleaner....bet they buy it from Chevron....Techron......so the story goes.

Whatever we say is our opinion and maybe what we do. It's your machine, you bought with your money, has to last you as long as you want and all that. Listening to us may or may not be the thing to do. Your decision. But snake oil works for me and has proven itself over and over. NEVER have I had ill effects from using it, but over the years it has solved and prevented many potential problems (to which others admit) for me and I am a firm believer.

Oh and last but not least, what makes #1 diesel different than #2? A chemical or chemicals that lower the viscosity at colder temperatures. What chemical or chemical (refining) process? Same one in snake oils? Who knows, I don't.

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #12  
19 degrees...no gelling here...buy good fuel and additives aren't necessary
NONE of my diesels get additives in the oil or in the fuel and it goes below zero F here.

To listen to the guys on this site, it's a MUST, but my neighbors and friends and myself don't use it and never have any problems!

I'm with you, buy good fuel in the first place!

SR

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #13  
Oh and last but not least, what makes #1 diesel different than #2? A chemical or chemicals that lower the viscosity at colder temperatures. What chemical or chemical (refining) process? Same one in snake oils? Who knows, I don't.
NO chem at all, the "wax" is left out of #1, it's the wax in #2 that gells and plugs filters...

SR

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #14  
NO chem at all, the "wax" is left out of #1, it's the wax in #2 that gells and plugs filters...

SR

Okaye, what's the purpose of the wax in #2? Element of the refining process? #2 comes off at a lower temp than #1 making it cheaper so sell it when it doesn't matter that it's in there? Is #1 more expensive than #2? How much? Just curious. Does #1 run cleaner aka injectors run cleaner longer without some snake oil to clean them out?

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #15  
Wax is just a low temperature version of a hydrocarbon fuel oil molecule chain that is liquid at higher temperature .
Water is still water when it gets cold enough to freeze into ice.
Removal of the "wax" is one of the reasons why the btu's of winter diesel is a wee bit lower than summer diesel.

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #16  
Wax is just a low temperature version of a hydrocarbon fuel oil molecule chain that is liquid at higher temperature .
Water is still water when it gets cold enough to freeze into ice.
Removal of the "wax" is one of the reasons why the btu's of winter diesel is a wee bit lower than summer diesel.

Good point. Probably the reason for the distinction in oils referred to as "paraffin based", aka dino, petroleum based, etc, vs synthetic usually chemical dependent with controlled molecular structures and predictable properties.

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #17  
I just reread the Howes bottle.

1 oz per 5 gallons down to 0 degrees F. 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons if lower than 0 F.

That's one part Howes to 640 parts of fuel for the vast majority of people. With that ratio, you could add about anything without hurting it.

Again, it's something I won't worry about.

/ Owners Manual Say No Fuel Additives, Deal Says It's OK. #18  
I'd follow manual.

A letter on file from our fuel vendor at the power plant where I work says no additives needed. They provide fuel blended for the season. This vendor supplies fuel to most of the fuel stations in my area.

I've never used additives and never had problems.