P&H (Harnischfeger Corp) Engines

/ P&H (Harnischfeger Corp) Engines #1  

74clueless74

In reviewing P&H (Harnischfeger Corp) crane and dragline listings in a 62 clutch catalog, there are two "P&H" listings in the "engine" column (most are Wauks, with one Chrysler Ind; I understand more complete listings also show Budas and Cont's).
Does anyone here know if P&H actually built engines, or whether the "P&H" engines were actually built by someone else, specifically for P&H use??
I tried to also post to the HCEA site, but couldn't make a post this morning.
Any comments appreciated; many thxx!

/ P&H (Harnischfeger Corp) Engines #2  
P & H used off the shelf engines. They used Wauk, Cont. Chy ind and Detroit. Most Gassers were the Wauk, with Cont then Chy. The diesels were Detroit. There may have been some that I've never seen but of the ones I've been around That is the case. I used to have a P&H 30 ton truck mount and if there was ever a more agrivating piece of equipment, I've never seen it. The clutches and Hydraulic master and slave cylinders were a constant sorce of repair, and adjusting them took an act of congress and a couple of magicians. Later, Nat

/ P&H (Harnischfeger Corp) Engines
Nat: Apparently P&H did build, or have built, a few engines, strictly for their own equipment, per replies to this question posted to aths.org and yesterdaystruck.com., and, per one reply, as difficult as the equipment they were installed in.
My 62 clutch catalog shows (with Wauks and one Chrysleer Ind.):
1958-59 Mod 775 60 ton Crane Carrier P&H engine Mod 687C
1957-62 Mod 255A 6X6 Navy 20 ton Carrier P&H eng Mod 487C.
The catalog ends in 62, so I have no idea how much longer the engines used.
Many thxx for sharing your experiences.