PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck?

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #1  

upgw

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200, 2011 Hustler Super Z 31 Kawi
I'm considering buying an '90 Ford F250... somebody mentioned that the 3/4 ton trucks were exempt from PA emissions inspection... any PA people out there have any info on this?

I know if I drive it less than 5000 miles per year, you can get an exemption sticker (you still have to pay!), but you still have to inspect the first year... and the vehicle is coming from FLA, where there is no inspection of any kind.

Thanks,
- Patrick

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #2  
Not sure about PA specifically but at the federal level there is a distinction between vehicles at the 8800 # GVWR level. My F250 checks in over 8800 so it meets a different set of standards. You have to be careful with Ford 250s though, they make a heavy duty and a light duty model. In 1990 the sheet metal was the same, recently the light duty is the same sheet metal as the F150 and the heavy duty shares the Super Duty sheet metal. On the 1990 check the rear axle. The heavy duty will have a full floating axle with a large hub sticking out in the middle (it sticks out a good 4 inches, hard to miss with a hubcap off). The light duty has a semi-floating axle with the hub surface nearly flush with the wheel mounting. Both 8 lug back then. Hope this helps /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #3  
I've never heard of an exemption for a 3/4 ton, unless it's registered in one of the counties/zipcodes that don't require the selective pick and choose Pennsylvania emission test. Now if you're in one of the "chosen" counties that forces the PA selective emission requirement, you're exempt if your car, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or whatever is a municipal/state/county vehicle, but as a regular citizen...you're screwed. And, just like my 2500 HD, you'll also get at no extra charge a free weight class sticker for addition to your sticker collection on your lower left corner of windshield. Pennsylvania isn't the Quaker State for nothing !!

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #4  
Patrick,
The 5k miles exemption intrigued me. can't say that I heard of that one. Reading the Penndot info it sounds like it's for the Philly area where they mandate an "enhanced" I/M using a dyno in addition to the hose up the tailpipe route for the other "selected" counties.

"In the Philadelphia area, vehicles registered in the counties of:
Bucks, Chester,Delaware,Montgomery,Philadelphia
Vehicles in these counties which are:Model year 1975 and newer Weighing 9,000 pounds or less Gasoline-powered You do not need to visit an inspection station if your vehicle is a motorcycle, a street rod or is registered as a classic, a collectible or an antique, or is diesel-powered. No sticker is required in these cases. In the Philadelphia, area, 1975-1980 automobiles and 1975-1983 light trucks will be tested at idle. More sensitive dynamometer (dyno) inspections will be performed on automobile models 1981 or newer and light trucks model 1984 or newer in the Southeast counties. The dynamometer simulates driving conditions at 15 miles per hour"

"You will be exempt from the enhanced I/M program if:
You have owned your vehicle for 1 year and drove your vehicle less than 5,000 miles in the prior year. However, you must go to an inspection station to verify your mileage and receive an exemption sticker. You can do this when you get your safety inspection if your station does both.
You buy a new car, not previously titled and driven less than 5,000 miles before registration; you should receive an exemption sticker valid for up to 12 months."

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck?
The gotcha there is that you have to own for a year, which means I have to pass an emissions test on this vehicle first.. and it hasn't been tested in years, so I'm worried.

- Patrick

Yes, I'm familiar with that axle type (is that a Dana rear??). I had one unscrew one time when the retaining ring broke off its ears and the axle and wheel came right out...

It doesn't have the full floating rear... but I'll call down and double check it. Any easy way to tell if it has a limited slip?

Thanks,
- Patrick

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #7  
You can tell if it's limited slip if you have a method to get both rear wheels off the ground at the same time (floorjack, lift, jack stands, ect) Put it in neurtal and see if both tires turn in the same direction when you manually spin one tire. Limited slip, they turn same direction, standard rear end, one will stay still or turn in oposite direction when the other is turned.

Or,,,drop the hammer in gravel and see what happens,,,/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HTH,
Dave

The trick is, the truck is 1000 miles away... I was hoping there would be some way of identifying it just by looking at it, so I can have the current owner tell me... planning on having it shipped up via open carrier...

Any ideas?

- Patrick

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #9  
Have him get the numbers off of the tag that is secured to the pumpkin by one of the cover screws. Once you have the numbers you can call the dealer and, if the person you talk to is not a complete dummy, they can identify it. It also should be on the line setting ticket. I don't know where that is on a Ford, on my Dodge it's under the hood and on my old Chevy truck it was in the glove box. The line setting ticket, an International Harvester term, is the sticker or sheet that lists the equipment on the vehicle. It's also called a build sheet or build sticker.

/ PA emissions exemption for 3/4 ton truck? #10  
I have a 1984 Chevy c 30 with gvwr and I was wondering if I could be exempt from emissins testing I dont have a catalytic convertor and would rather not get all that bull crap for it anyone know any ways around this? The truck never came with one. Also, last time it was inspected it didn't need that junk Im redoing the truck but I dont know what to do if the emissions junk is required. I live in Erie County PA if that helps does anyone have any information on that?