PA160 STH unboxing!

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
Need to stuff more filler rod into the puddle. ;)

I agree.

Could use a bit more gas, unless you were using a very small cup.
And could use more filler. Some times one size of filler is too small, and the next bigger is too big for using lay wire technique. Time to start to learn to feed wire.
Have you wached all the TIG videos from Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info
They are very good.

Dang it. I was hoping to avoid learning to feed wire!

I was using a size 7 cup. I had turned the gas flow down a smidge to see if I could get away with a little less flow. Looks like the answer is no.

I've checked out many (but not all) of Jody's vids. He's an artist! Makes it look easy.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #122  
joshuabardwell said:
I've checked out many (but not all) of Jody's vids. He's an artist! Makes it look easy.
I know. I like watching someone who is skilled do their thing, but then it also shows how much better I could be.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #123  
Joshua and I were discussing this over on our forum. The lay wire technique isn't good for all occasions, though some may do a passable job regardless (if you are good enough). It's a neat trick, but not a classically taught technique. The lay wire allows you to concentrate on torch manipulation, while the dabbing technique allows you to focus in on what the puddle is needing, and you can really add it when it needs it.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #124  
I use the lay wire technique on pipe for the root pass, and sometimes the hot pass. Depending how I feel at the time.

Attachments

• A Tig.JPG
    A Tig.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 106
  • BTig.JPG
    BTig.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 96
  • CTig.JPG
    CTig.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DTig.JPG
    DTig.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 94
   / PA160 STH unboxing! #126  
I'm not much of a Tig weldor either:eek:. One thing that will be a big help in learning to feed wire with your hand. When setting watching TV, or anything that will allow enough room. Take a rod and practice feeding it through your fingers! Do this when ever you have free time! It won't take long until it is second nature to you. Remember to practice with both hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #127  
I think your problem is the small wire that you are using. I never used anything smaller than 3/32" nor larger than 1/8" when TIG welding professionally and that is regardless of the alloy. 1/16 " is so small that you have to feed it faster than most folks can do comfortably in order to have any kind of puddle which shows up in the weld as erratic wire feed. 80-100 amps is plenty of power to use 1/8" wire but stick with the 3/32 for a while to develop your wire feed technique. Some folks will just hold the wire about 10" or so from the puddle (depending on how steady your nerves are) and feed it down as needed till the fingers get too close then momentarily freeze the wire in the puddle while sliding your fingers back up the wire for a new length. This is fairly easy to do, but practice like Shield Arc says to smoothly walk the wire thru your fingers.
You shouldn't have any undercut on the sides of your root pass since this is indicative of too many amps and or too little fill. Practice on tying in the sides but putting enough filler to reduce the side "wash out".